Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old Miller Legend - rescued from the trash

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Miller Legend - rescued from the trash

I got a hold of an old Legend KF89XXXX with 4271 hours showing on the meter - it was going to scrap, but I got it... has a P216 Onan on it. Runs real nice actually, after some cleaning.
    It will weld, not sure how nice yet, I just burned half a stick to see if the engine would carry the load.

It will not sense load on the 120 or 220 receptacles. I am trouble shooting that, but this looks to be a great welder/ 6KW generator. I can hold the throttle in and force it to run at a higher rpm to generate 120v on the plugs, but she will not do it on her own... If anyone can point me in the right direction - I would be grateful..

I downloaded some manuals - correct me if I am wrong, but if I have the correct manual - the Legend is supposed to generate 120v at idle, and not be required to run at 3k rpm just for 120? I may not have the right manual.

Serial number...

That is a funny looking serial number...is/was it stolen?

Comment

Originally posted by Doughboyracer View Post
      That is a funny looking serial number...is/was it stolen?
      I pulled it out of a pile destined for scrap... who knows it's history...

S/N KF894125 - that is the full number - can you tell me anything about it?

Comment

Based on the SN you listed, this http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o428l_mil.pdf should be the correct manual and yes the unit should produce 115VAC auxiliary power at 1860rpm no-load POWER/IDLE speed.

Unit was manufactured mid-year '95
        http://www.millerwelds.com/service/s...reference.html
        Last edited by duaneb55; 09-24-2012, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Good old horse

I had one for 12 yrs.

Pains me how something so nice,

never took off in sales

Comment

Good info

[QUOTE=duaneb55;293700]Based on the SN you listed, this http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o428l_mil.pdf should be the correct manual and yes the unit should produce 115VAC auxiliary power at 1860rpm no-load POWER/IDLE speed.

Duane,

Great homework on this one.

It's fun to look at the old manual.
            In the day, they put more info in the old stuff.

Just Jim

Comment

Thanks for the information Guys

I have been lurking here off and on for a few years, and Duane you always come thru...

That pdf has more information in it than I expected.

It looks like I have an issue with auto-idle, and a bad fuel pump.
              I setup a gravity feed can just to see if she would run, and she runs great.

Is there a good parts house (on-line works as well) that I can use for putting this old welder back into regular service? I want to set this up as backup for my house and regular service in the garage that I am building.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.

Comment

Thats why...

...see what happens when you post ALL the information...better answers!
                Good luck getting her up and running.
                Cheers

Comment

For used and new parts that are still available you can try forum member weldersales (Larry Burross) of Applied Equipment in Dallas, TX.
                  2515 Cartwright St.
                  Dallas, Tx 75212
                  214-630-9353 phone
                  214-630-9354 fax
                  888-630-9353 toll-free
                  214-577-9353 cell
                  786-629-9353 computer
                  Email: weldersales@airmail.net

A popular on-line source is miller4less.com http://miller4less.com/

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.