Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

downhill stick welding the rootpass on big bore pipe.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• downhill stick welding the rootpass on big bore pipe.

what is the recommended gap,land,rod, and setting of rootpass welding downhill on pipe.
    i heard pipeliners weld downhill instead of uphill.

Pipeline welders that I have talked to down here in south Texas. Have told me root varies but they use a nickel for spacing approx. 1/8". They are running root with 1/8" 6010 5P+. Fill and cap is with an 8010 downhill pipeliner rod. Depends on size pipe but most are using 3/16" rods on the 8010s. All welds are run downhill.

Comment

Don't start off running a 3/16 bead lol I rarely run 3/16 on a bead use 1/8 in or 5/32 on big bore pipe I'll run 5/32 with a heavy nickel land and use a two foot square fore a spacer otherwise run 1/8 in with a 3/32 gap ... Running downhill is way easier than step it in uphill .... Any other questions I weld pipe every day

Comment

Do you just drag the rod downhill on the root pass Dr pipe??

Comment

.....well that depends on the situation. If the gap is just right you can burn a good keyhole and follow it down the pipe with ease just applying pressure .... We call it a skate bead ... I prefer to weld a bead by whipping it in ...stepping down the pipe if a hole gets out of hand then step the rod up let the hole cool for a second and step back down .... Then grind your bead med. rare and run that hot pass in if you run a little hotter you will push that bead right in and you will push through the bead in places that may not be completely tied in ...

Comment

Working...
          X