Bored, need a problem I actually can't figure out

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree that it senses the 230 but I figured the 24v supplied to the circuitry is still the same and the voltage to the motor wouldn't know the difference. That's why I thought changing PC1 would fix it. There isn't much else in there. Any other suggestions? I figured this would a tough one to figure out.

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
      Is it wired for single phase? IE if you open it up, it should be from left to right on the on/off switch black, white, red where black and white are the single phase connections. Often the white and the red are reversed. This leads to mod failure.
      Who was this directed to?

Comment

Originally posted by go2building View Post
        Who was this directed to?
        To you

Comment

Originally posted by labmaster02 View Post
          I agree that it senses the 230 but I figured the 24v supplied to the circuitry is still the same and the voltage to the motor wouldn't know the difference. That's why I thought changing PC1 would fix it. There isn't much else in there. Any other suggestions? I figured this would a tough one to figure out.
          Yep this is a toughy, but I like a puzzle! How bout my other question about where you welder is located?

Comment

Didn't open it up, it's Autoline and came with a pig tail, thought all I had to do to hook it up for 230 single phase was to hook black and white to hot and green to nutral/ground and cut/tape back red. I used it for 1-1/2 years that way.

Comment

Didn't open it up, it's Autoline and came with a pig tail, thought all I had to do to hook it up for 230 single phase was to hook black and white to hot and green to nutral/ground and cut/tape back red. I used it for 1-1/2 years that way.
              Yes, but how is it wired INSIDE the machine. Seen lots of machines miswired by..... somebody.

They do seem to work that way, but eventually something goes poof.

Comment

Missed that, it's on a cart. Like I said, I checked all the grounds from the outlet to the welder frame. The other strange part is that it works every time after turned on and the first time the trigger is pulled. I thought of taking it to a service center but just didn't want to give it up for someone to strip apart. It's still a great welder. I appreciate you taking the time.

Comment

If it is wired wrong inside it was not by me, time will tell. It's in the shop for repairs now. I'll open it up when I get it back.
                  What would you say is a reasonable amount of time for a repair shop to look at a welder?
                  I have a new dynasty 350 should I open it up and check the internal wiring on that?

Comment

Well, All I can figure out since you've changed out the board, is that something is charging and staying charged after you hit the trigger for the first time, so a arc strike relay is comming on and staying on. I'm wondering if you were to temporarily (just for fun) remove the ground wire from the machine and retry it.
                    Last edited by cruizer; 09-21-2012, 09:46 PM. Reason: spelling is not my friend

Comment

If it is wired wrong inside it was not by me, time will tell. It's in the shop for repairs now. I'll open it up when I get it back.
                      What would you say is a reasonable amount of time for a repair shop to look at a welder?
                      I have a new dynasty 350 should I open it up and check the internal wiring on that?
                      No this was just a problem with the 200 series. i've seen lots of them from the rental outfits wired up all funny (new ones miswired by somebody, no names here...)

As for warranty, up to 2 weeks max

Comment

Thanks, I'll be on the phone Monday. What ever the internals are wired up for idk, it came out of a new sealed Miller box.
                        Thanks Kevin

Comment

how to pull the distributor on a old big 40

hey there im in need of some help i have an older miller big 40 not sure the year cant pull the s/n up on the webpage its 70-543296 so if you can help me out with the year and correct manual info that would be great also. anyway the housing on my distributor is cracked would like to pull it and replace it but i cant seem to get it pulled out i thought u just unbolted it and pulled it out but its not working so im not sure if it just stuck in there and i a puss and cant pull it or if theres more to it any feed back would be great thanks

Comment

Well, as the serial goes its a 1970, and yes the distributor will just pull out with a couple twists. Really want to make sure that the rotor turns to the SAME place on the new one. It's just old and the o rings on the dist shaft are likely kinda hardened, thats why its a b,,itch to pull out.

And just incase someone turns the engine over or it moves, its ALWAYS best to turn the engine so that its on #1 TDC. Before you pull the distributor. that way you have a reference point to go back to.

Comment

ok now the neck on the distributor housing is broke so so just the top of the housing wants to twist and not whole distributor any ideas on what to do to get it out of there

Comment

It's a flat head anyways, so yard the head.

Comment

Working...
                                X