Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

magnets??

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• magnets??

Sorry if this has been already adressed, but why is it when trying to use a magnet to hold pieces while fabbing anytime u get near the magnet it reaks havvock on the arc it gets all fluttery and what not at least stick welding anyway.Can someone please enlighten me on what is taking place here? Thanks in advance,Eric

Magnets will do that every time.
    Don't use them for that exact reason.
    Arc deflection.

Ji

Comment

In an arc, you have ionized gasses and electron transfer. A magnetic field affects this. It can be the positioning magnets, or simple current flow through the weldment between your electrode holder and your work clamp.

Electrical contactors and high-voltage breakers sometimes use "magnetic blowout" to extinguish the arc when a circuit is broken under load.

Comment

magnets

Hey thanks for the input guys, I have definitely learned to remove as soon as im done tacking to prevent this from happening. They are kind of priceless though when you need that third hand to hold while tacking and your by yourself.

Comment

yeah, three turbos, i think i agree with Jigantor here

Comment

Working...
          X
          Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.