Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stainless Flux for Keg

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stainless Flux for Keg

Has anyone ever converted a SS keg into a brew kettle? I've seen a few YouTube videos but I want to get the viewpoint from experienced welders.

I'll TIG weld the fitting in with Argon. What kind of flux should I use to keep the backside clean?

Originally posted by kvwall View Post
    Has anyone ever converted a SS keg into a brew kettle? I've seen a few YouTube videos but I want to get the viewpoint from experienced welders.

I'll TIG weld the fitting in with Argon. What kind of flux should I use to keep the backside clean?
    The only flux i know of for stainless tig is for pipe penetration. U can try closing it off and purging it with argon. If your getting a sugaring effet on the backside then you are welding too slow

Comment

Thanks but purging is not an option. My LWS hooked me up with some Type B Solar Flux. I've been testing with it on some scrap but not too happy with the results yet.

Comment

What problems are you having?

Comment

I would tig with pulsing. Do you have pulse setting on you welder?. I weld stainless pipe for a food dist. Here in town and the only way I can get a clean weld inside is using my pulse settings. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by weldonwelding View Post
            What problems are you having?
            Porosity seems to be my biggest issue. It's definitely better than no flux but I like to do a better job.

Comment

Originally posted by Gaby View Post
              I would tig with pulsing. Do you have pulse setting on you welder?. I weld stainless pipe for a food dist. Here in town and the only way I can get a clean weld inside is using my pulse settings. Good luck!
              I don't have pulse on the Diversion 180. The job is done now. I used the flux as directed then used a wire wheel to clean it up.

Comment

Working...
              X
              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.