Created my first worm.....errrr bead

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Created my first worm.....errrr bead

So it was a FAT stack of nickels...what can I say. So the hobby workshop started tonight - slightly different format than I anticipated but good nonetheless. First time laying a hand on a mig gun - made some bacon, made some popcorn, gained a lot of respect for all of you in the process. The 3 hrs flew by - looking fwd to next week's class.

I DO have a quick question for anyone interested in teaching - so I watched the instructor lay down a nice, flat bead showing before releasing the hounds on their machines. When I managed I layed down a nice swelled up bead (at times) - I asked and he indicated that perhaps I wasn't moving fast enough along the joint and my angle wasn't low enough - make sense? (I guess so) SO given a set voltage and wire speed, if you get a nice pattern but it's just high/fat - should one take a more leaned down angle and push the puddle a little faster?

So hey - ANY ADVICE you all can give me I'm much appreciated of. That is on ANY techniques you've found useful in laying down a bead - hand position, movement, counting in your head, patterns, tossing scrap over your left shoulder while standing on one foot while chanting...whatever. Thanks all. Look fwd to your responses.

Oh yeah - and here is a picture of one of my worms! Actually this might be one of the nicer ones...what can I say. So - tips for starting, stopping etc...all welcomed! (oh crap - I see myself buying a MM211 now...w/no real justifiable need....might need some help on that one too )
    Attached Files
    Miller Thunderbolt 225 AC/DC
    Millermatic 211 Auto/MVP

Instead of pushing the stinger try pulling it. It should always have the sound of bacon sizzleing.

Comment

where theres slag you drag.

Comment

Was that flat or horizontal. For better penetration I drag w/mig. T joint horizontal I do rows of lower case e's

Comment

Originally posted by go2building View Post
          Was that flat or horizontal. For better penetration I drag w/mig. T joint horizontal I do rows of lower case e's
          Yes - horizontal T joint practices....and the technique of lower case e's sounds like what we were instructed to do - but it was a push, push 1/4" fwd, come back and just up a little 1/8" then fwd 1/2" ...so that'd be similar but the guy was specific about pushing the puddle - seems that ya'll recommend dragging the gun...I'll have to try that next time....
          Millermatic 211 Auto/MVP

Comment

Hey not that bad for beginner !!!
            Don't get hung up on push or pull, u need to learn both. If he allows I would increase voltage or decrease wire speed a little to find ur sweet spot, you'll learn to here it. Otherwise just relax, and work ur puddle a little more, I like e's. Ask him to explain about the tiger eye in puddle & watch it.
            >> Practice!! Good Craftsmen come by patience & practice. If it was that easy everyone would be a welder.

Comment

Originally posted by gnforge View Post
              Hey not that bad for beginner !!!
              Don't get hung up on push or pull, u need to learn both. If he allows I would increase voltage or decrease wire speed a little to find ur sweet spot, you'll learn to here it. Otherwise just relax, and work ur puddle a little more, I like e's. Ask him to explain about the tiger eye in puddle & watch it.
              >> Practice!! Good Craftsmen come by patience & practice. If it was that easy everyone would be a welder.
              hey thx. good stuff - i hear it sizzle and then someone turns on the popcorn macheeen! lol. practice practice practice...

question - about the tip of the nozzle - can that drag on the metal or will that cause some arc/problems...i.e. do I have to suspend the tip of the gun - I understand that pulling away will cause the popping - pretty familiar with that! lol...but can I drag the tip of the gun along the joint? (guess not to make the lower case e's very effectively though...perhaps I just answered my question!)
              Millermatic 211 Auto/MVP

Comment

The popping noise you are hearing could be you are not keeping the same distance from the steel ( stick out) keep it constant and you should hear bacon all the way. Thin steel push and thick drag. Keep the inside of the nozzle clean.
                Kevin

Comment

Cant touch nozzle! Sizzle then pop can come from couple things. 1st. Basics, need good clean ground. Make sure nozzle clean & tip good. Keep your cable straight as possible with out any twists. >> clean ground, constant easy wire flow << with plain mig, solid wire, I like short stick out ie tight arc. Tip flush with nozzle or very little recess. Now concentrate on keeping tip 1/4" to 1/2" max off puddle tight as possible with out touching, slight circular or e motion. >> keep the sizzle.

Comment

Can touch nozzle, not contact tip. Nozzle is insulated. Try doing a 1" V groove without touching the nozzle, hard to do!!!!

Comment

I like to hold the neck of the gun with my left index finger and thumb and run the trigger with my right. Gives me more control. I tend to do a pattern making a bunch of c's, going back and forth, slowly progressing down the bead. You must focus to maintain the same angle, and distance away from the work piece.
                      Last edited by Cgotto6; 09-12-2012, 11:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gnforge View Post
                        Cant touch nozzle! Sizzle then pop can come from couple things. 1st. Basics, need good clean ground. Make sure nozzle clean & tip good. Keep your cable straight as possible with out any twists. >> clean ground, constant easy wire flow << with plain mig, solid wire, I like short stick out ie tight arc. Tip flush with nozzle or very little recess. Now concentrate on keeping tip 1/4" to 1/2" max off puddle tight as possible with out touching, slight circular or e motion. >> keep the sizzle.
                        Ah. Good thanks for the tips. using some equipment that is awesome but less than clean - from reading I was trying to clean the nozzle tip a little with some tools there, also the welding table had all kinds of sleeve catching risers from metal sticking out- less than ideal for a beginner to maintain a smooth path. also stations nice and tight - enough room to learn and work - didn't effect the isntructor's sweet bead example...but he also mentioned getting caught on the edge...but cable a little cramped...so all things for me to keep wary of next Tue. thx!
                        Millermatic 211 Auto/MVP

Comment

Originally posted by Cgotto6 View Post
                          I like to hold the neck of the gun with my left index finger and thumb and run the trigger with my right. Gives me more control. I tend to do a pattern making a bunch of c's, going back and forth, slowly progressing down the bead. You must focus to maintain the same angle, and distance away from the work piece.
                          nice tip. thx. I was going to ask all about that - was using the back of my left hand glove to rest the neck on - that heat's up a little! will try using my index finger/thumb next time. sounds like it'd help control the motion, distance, angle of the gun some more for me! thx!
                          Millermatic 211 Auto/MVP

Comment

Yea, my left index finger on my gloves always gets shrinked and toasty. Worth the nice controlled bead though.

Comment

Go to this web site. weldingtipsandtricks.com
                              It's awesome, good old solid advise & lots of videos

Comment

Working...
                              X