Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

build heavy chain

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• build heavy chain

Start out with some 3/4 round rod cut about 3' pieces, then make a template from plate thats at least as thick as the rod. Tack the plate to work table. Tack one end of the rod to the template as shown. Heat and bend. Leave enough gap or bevel for 100% penetration. Weld with 7018 or mig
    Attached Files
    Last edited by weldonwelding; 09-12-2012, 06:12 PM.

Why not make the link in one piece, then put the middle piece in.

Comment

why not?

Originally posted by monte55:292962
      Why not make the link in one piece, then put the middle piece in.
      Because you have to put it together.....

Comment

I am not a chain expert but I think you are missing the point of the middle piece, and monte55 is correct but you need to figure out how. Your chain is NOT safe like that and by no means "HEAVY" duty.

Comment

No your right.... its just HEAVY! Im sure its not gona break jus hangin there. I tried a few different ways before i did it this way and found that this was the fastest and easiest. To make a whole link u gota leave one side open for the next link.. then it doesnt go back on the template so it doesnt stay uniformed.

Comment

What is the chain for?

Comment

Its jus for decoration.

Comment

pic of what chain is used for

I thought i added this photo in the beginning
                Attached Files

Comment

Thats cool. If you had a Hossfeld bender you wouldn't need the heat...Bob

Comment

Yes they are very handy. One day i will invest in one... soon as my wallet recovers from paying for the ironworker i just got.

Comment

Originally posted by weldonwelding View Post
                      Yes they are very handy. One day i will invest in one... soon as my wallet recovers from paying for the ironworker i just got.
                      I PMed you a link for hossfeld type plans now you have something to make with your ironworker ...Bob

Comment

Thanks man. ...

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_LA_...ure=plpp_video

Probably been posted already but cool none the less.

Comment

Originally posted by Grinsha View Post
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_LA_...ure=plpp_video

Probably been posted already but cool none the less.
                            Yea thats pretty cool.. i never seen it before. Thanks

Comment

I was just looking at a chain company web site. They make big anchor chains & such. They said the longest chain they had made to date was 2.2 kilometers long. Their catalog listed chains with links up to 7 inches in diameter.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.