Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tie Ins ???

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tie Ins ???

What is the proper way to handle ties on carbon, stainless and aluminum???

I am guessing it may vary on what is being welded???

Tie Ins ???

What r you talking about ... Field tie in welds or?

Comment

Originally posted by drpipe View Post
      What r you talking about ... Field tie in welds or?

Just connecting two or more welds.

Comment

Meltem together.

Comment

Good thread, will read again...

Comment

Originally posted by Scottis1 View Post
            Good thread, will read again...
            Well put! lol

Comment

Tie Ins ???

stick?? start a couple inches above your bead fire up drag your rod down to end of the bead circle into it then run with it

Comment

Pretty vague question. Are you asking about restarts or terminating a weld or tieing one weld into another? I finish all my stops the same by ending the weld then filling the crater so there is no undersized weld or shrinkage. if I'm running one weld into another I will fill at least 2/3 of the crater from the previous weld then zap my crater or tie the weld in over a start by overlapping the weld by about twice the width of the welds face measurement.

Comment

Not being a pipe welder, I always have trouble with the tie in at 6 0'clock.
                  Attached Files

Comment

By tie in I mean stopping and restarting the weld regardless of the reason...............run out of rod...................boss calls you.............whatever.

I am trying to get some guidelines on when you need to grind the weld before restarting and does this apply to all welding processes.

Comment

If you're stick welding pipe, you will need to grind your start and stops on your root pass, but the remainder should be good to go unless you have a cold start. When you get back to it I sometimes have to grind a bit of the start of the bead to ensure good tie ins at the toes of the weld.

Comment

Tie Ins ???

Just weld hot no welding imperfections live in high heat run as hot as you can .. Learn to move fast then you make flawless pretty welds and don't have to grind sh$ t

Comment

Actually if you weld too hot and fast undercut will take place

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.