Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Welder training

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welder training

My son and I are investigating schools/programs that offer intensive welder training. By intensive I mean a compressed completion schedule as opposed to what you might find at a tech/voc school. We're located in Central New Jersey just north of Trenton. Any ideas? Thanks.

Originally posted by spindrift View Post
    My son and I are investigating schools/programs that offer intensive welder training. By intensive I mean a compressed completion schedule as opposed to what you might find at a tech/voc school. We're located in Central New Jersey just north of Trenton. Any ideas? Thanks.
    What process and metals is your son interested in? What fields?

Welding is one career that takes years of intense practice to master. School just touches the basics as far as the application goes. What I see most students losing out on is theory, math, geometry , metalurgy, and design.

What I would do is try to find a community college that offers a 2 year in Welding technology. While going to school, work part time if he can find work, either flipping burgers or metal munching. Eventually,(4 to 6 years) he will have gained(or not) the knowlegde if this is the field he wants to persue. If not he can tranfer or branch out to many aspects of manufacturing.

My son started work in my shop at age 11. Deburring parts and tack welding subassemblies until he was 18. He learned blueprint reading, tig welding, and mig welding, as well as bridgeport machining and CNC plasmacutting. Then he went off to Community College to gain his transfer degree while working and getting his welding certifications. He studied autocad design programming, architecture, higher math, and physics. He then applied and was accepted to Cal Poly San Luis Obispo in their Industrial Technology program. Since graduating he landed a job working at SpaceX as a Friction stir technician welding fuel cells for their launch rockets. He also takes test samples of the welds, forwards them for destructive and non destructive testing, and catologs the results for later review if required.

There is a lot to welding. A compressed program would only be money down the sewer IMO. My kid chose aerospace welding.

Comment

Thanks. Unfortunately, I can only tell you what he's not interested in doing and that's hard core production work. Ultimately, I think he's looking to settle down in an independent shop which does a lot of specialty work.

Comment

Thanks. Unfortunately, I can only tell you what he's not interested in doing and that's hard core production work. Ultimately, I think he's looking to settle down in an independent shop which does a lot of specialty work.
        How old is he? Does he have any hobbies?

Hard core production work is a state of mind. What some people call production work others call their dream job. I have a lady working for me that trained in fluxcore structural and pipe. She could not find a job and applied with me. She is now doing production tig alum welding at a bench. Works out well because she can work flexible hours because she is a single mom.

Comment

He's 22 and just graduated from Syracuse University with an economics degree. He's the only one of our five kids who shouldn't have gone to a four year college. He absolutely hated it and had an extremely difficult time making it through. I'm very proud of him for persevering the way he did but it was painful for Mom and I to see him struggle the way he did. If it wasn't for his fraternity friends, he would have never made it to graduation.

Hobbies? He's a fixer. Always looking for things that are broken and trying to come up with better design ideas for the things that do break.
          Last edited by spindrift; 08-29-2012, 02:50 PM.

Comment

I'd have to ask his age as well.

What I get from this is that he wants to learn fast (impossible in a welding trade)

And then he wants to make huge$$, in specialty welding.

Best of luck....

Comment

Hobbies? He's a fixer. Always looking for things that are broken and trying to come up with better design ideas for the things that do break.
              Well congratulations to your son for fighting through it rather than throwing in the towel - seems he has learned more from the college experience than just economics - life lessons on digging in and getting it done. I can't say I agree with some others on their surmations of his aspirations to learn quickly and make big bucks custom welding. I think there's an eagerness to get into the environment and learn what appears to be an interest - I can relate. I have yet to weld but came excessively close to spending 4 digits on a machine I have no need for or even know how to use (yet - 14 days and counting till class guys!!! ) on more than one occassion!

Sounds to me like he should have been an engineer. I was a mechanical engineer out of school - and I worked as a mechanical engineer for about 5 years - then migrated into information technology. Get him onto the board himself - these guys reply because they are good guys and have a LOT to share. Perhaps if he can start a thread about his interests these guys can shed new light on areas he didn't even consider.....a lot of experience with those that have replied - who are 'getting it done' and making a living by it...a lot to receive for free around here!

Good luck to you and your son ......

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
                I'd have to ask his age as well.

What I get from this is that he wants to learn fast (impossible in a welding trade)

And then he wants to make huge$$, in specialty welding.

Best of luck....
                Please don't assume anything. In this particular case you're dead wrong. If you have something constructive to add to the discussion then by all means continue to follow the thread. And how did you arrive at the conclusion that he wanted to make big bucks...jeez.

Neither one of us is a professional welder; obviously. My thinking was that the sooner he gain some skill the quicker he would be able to land some kind of a job. What I do know about welding it's that practice, practice, practice is the only way.

Cruizer, if I thought I had all the answers, I wouldn't have looked for this forum in the first place. I'm trying to help a kid that has no idea as to what direction to go in. Constructive advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by jfk92 View Post
                  Well congratulations to your son for fighting through it rather than throwing in the towel - seems he has learned more from the college experience than just economics - life lessons on digging in and getting it done. I can't say I agree with some others on their surmations of his aspirations to learn quickly and make big bucks custom welding. I think there's an eagerness to get into the environment and learn what appears to be an interest - I can relate. I have yet to weld but came excessively close to spending 4 digits on a machine I have no need for or even know how to use (yet - 14 days and counting till class guys!!! ) on more than one occassion!

Sounds to me like he should have been an engineer. I was a mechanical engineer out of school - and I worked as a mechanical engineer for about 5 years - then migrated into information technology. Get him onto the board himself - these guys reply because they are good guys and have a LOT to share. Perhaps if he can start a thread about his interests these guys can shed new light on areas he didn't even consider.....a lot of experience with those that have replied - who are 'getting it done' and making a living by it...a lot to receive for free around here!

Good luck to you and your son ......
                  Actually, he started off in the engineering school but couldn't keep his grades up so he had to transfer into Arts and Sciences.

Thanks for the good wishes.

Comment

Well, get him enrolled in the 2 year tech course, then apprentice under a certified/journeyman tradesman.

There are no easy anwers, nor a quick way to learn this trade.

Wasn't trying to be sarcastic, just trying to figure out your post.

Comment

Please don't assume anything. In this particular case you're dead wrong. If you have something constructive to add to the discussion then by all means continue to follow the thread. And how did you arrive at the conclusion that he wanted to make big bucks...jeez.

Neither one of us is a professional welder; obviously. My thinking was that the sooner he gain some skill the quicker he would be able to land some kind of a job. What I do know about welding it's that practice, practice, practice is the only way.

Cruizer, if I thought I had all the answers, I wouldn't have looked for this forum in the first place. I'm trying to help a kid that has no idea as to what direction to go in. Constructive advice would be greatly appreciated.
                      From your first post you asked it there is a crash course in welding. Really there are no such things except the rip-off career schools that advertise the world but deliver nothing but debt.

Some people never get welding. And if you force it on them they hate it. You have to build up slow and in some cases beg for guidance. A lot of the tricks of the trade are inbred in experience. I can teach a monkey to weld but I have to supervise like a school marm all day long. And do you think they repay the favor some day? Most likely not.

I hire them young and cheap. I go through a fair share of posers before I get one worth bestowing my experience to. And even then a lot of the time they hire on down the street for a couple of dollars more an hour. That is their biggest mistake because now they are on their own. I see bunches of them giving up a few years later because they get burned out on the production line of greed.

Still I believe it is best to continue school and work welding nights earning minimum wage garnering those golden nuggets of knowlegde working beside a veteran of the industry that knows how to turn a rusty chunk of metal into profit. Then the work will be rewarding in itself, and the money will come.

Comment

All sound advice. Thanks guys.

Comment

All sound advice. Thanks guys.
                          Speaking with someone last night they mentioned a welding program with middle**** county vocational tech with several class openings currently. There are several locations as well that sounded near you too..... Just FYI

Ignore the asterisk above, guess there is some word monitoring technology in place that replaced the three letters prior to it!

Gaaaaafh! Done it again....should be "m i d d l e s e x county"
                          Last edited by jfk92; 09-02-2012, 06:38 AM.

Comment

i took the welding night classes at the middle*** votech in piscataway a couple yrs ago. it was pretty good. now i have my own welders and just burning away. the teacher there are very helpful and a good guy. i was gonna take the aws class there but budget is prohibiting me now. so i'm taking machine shop and autobody class to learn more stuff. iwill prob take the aws class next yr when i can afford it after my mustang project is complete. good luck ps. better hurry up if u wanna sign up. i think classes start sept 12
                            Last edited by kiswoc; 09-03-2012, 09:17 AM.

Comment

I was like you not too long ago. I was looking for an intensive welding training and it took me quite a long time to find the right one for me. What you need to know first is in what specific area is your son interested in then go from there. There are welding schools that provide intensive training to specific area of expertise. You can check this out and see if this is what you are looking for.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.