Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.


  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plasma Brands

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Plasma Brands

    Anyone have any input on the best brands of plasmas out there? Like miller, but never used any other brands. Thanks!!!

  • #2
    That question may just have been answered more times than the Internet has capacity to hold. Try the search feature at the top of the page!

    Comment


    • #3
      Click here.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Helios View Post
        Thats good...Bob

        Comment


        • #5
          My money goes to Hypertherm for anything plasma related. I've had a PM 1000 G3 for about 5 years and it has never failed to make the cut every time I pulled the trigger or hit start on my plasma table. I'll never go to any other vendor, ever.
          Bob

          Comment


          • #6
            as much as I love my Miller welders...and.... believe they are the best in the world...

            my money for the best plasma cutter still goes to Hypertherm....

            my Hypertherm Powermax 1000.... has been flawless for the last several years...

            would buy another in an instant....(was a perfect match for my PlasmaCam CNC)

            search old threads... on the subject, see what others say...
            Last edited by H80N; 08-19-2012, 03:12 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Also important, at least for me,,,, was how much local support / availability of consumables was. I checked thru three states, southern Oregon; Reno, Nevada; Yerington Nevada; and my local area. Ended up buying a Thermal Dynamics,,,,,,,

              For me, that was the "best fit". No point in buying the "best" if you have to wait two weeks for parts.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by JSFAB View Post
                Also important, at least for me,,,, was how much local support / availability of consumables was. I checked thru three states, southern Oregon; Reno, Nevada; Yerington Nevada; and my local area. Ended up buying a Thermal Dynamics,,,,,,,

                For me, that was the "best fit". No point in buying the "best" if you have to wait two weeks for parts.
                What ol' Joe says!

                When I purchased my Hypertherm I wanted to buy locally. After my favored welding supply informed me they didn't carry the Hypertherm line and suggested I order online I drove across town to my non-favored welding supply to check on their pricing. While waiting 30 minutes for the counterman to figure up his "best price" (his words, not mine) he came back with a price that turned out to be $650 more than what I could order one online for. Calling around I found a welding supply up in Whitefish, MT that would send one down to me with free shipping and no sales tax. The added benefits of free shipping and no sales tax more or less added another $15-$175 incentive to give them the sale. BTW, I often buy my consumables from the non-favored welding supply and let them know they missed out on a sale through one of their sales staff's greed.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I like that, buying related items at non liked lws. Hypertherme or thermal dynamics are the way to go, although, i am prejudice, the 2 companies are an hour drive from my shop

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Why do you guys like the Hypertherm so much? How is it better than the Spectrum 625 X-Treme? Other than being less expensive.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by kvwall View Post
                      Why do you guys like the Hypertherm so much? How is it better than the Spectrum 625 X-Treme? Other than being less expensive.
                      Hypertherm systems consistently outperform the competition in cut quality, productivity, and operating costs.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I'm not sure how you are able to say that Hypertherm can outperform Miller. And when was the last time you did a side by side comparison? For several years Miller was buying thier torches from Hypertherm so the quality and performance of the torches is the same. So if it then comes down to the power source, it has been suggested about a million times on this blog that Miller has always built the best power sources.
                        Have you had a chance to try Miller's new XT torches which are not made by Hypertherm? I have be using the 375 Xtreme with the XT30 torch and will put that up against the Powermax 30 any day, every day.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Badger_Fan View Post
                          I'm not sure how you are able to say that Hypertherm can outperform Miller. And when was the last time you did a side by side comparison? For several years Miller was buying thier torches from Hypertherm so the quality and performance of the torches is the same. So if it then comes down to the power source, it has been suggested about a million times on this blog that Miller has always built the best power sources.
                          Have you had a chance to try Miller's new XT torches which are not made by Hypertherm? I have be using the 375 Xtreme with the XT30 torch and will put that up against the Powermax 30 any day, every day.
                          Nice machines.

                          But my Hypertherms can use the patented FineCut technology. The chrome plated nozzle last up to 5 times longer than conventional bare nozzles. Maybe by the time the Chinese put Hypertherm out of biz, Miller plasmas will have caught up.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I to was asking myself wich to buy about 2 mos. ago I was going to go blue of course due to the high quality and never letting me down for many yrs. now, however I recently went to a trade show where my current weld store was there and I DID use both the miller and the hypertherm side by side and found there was no difference in performance. With that being said this where my MILLER sales rep informed me that hypertherm holds ALL the patends on plasmas ,so basicaly everyone is putting there parts inside a different color sheet metal (what ever that may be) and putting there name on it. So the bottom line is all the internals came from hypertherm. So why would you go to the student when you can go right to the teacher sort of the thing.

                            This was just my experience not saying its right or wrong, however I can tell you there is a new hypertherm sitting under my miller tig and my miller mig and i am totaly satisfied with all three of them! Good luck

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Your Miller salesman is a moron, and yes a plasma of the same amperage, will cut about the same as any other brand. The guts may be totally different but the end result is the same. Its the cut quality, the reliability, and consumable life that counts.

                              There are zero hypertherm parts in other brands, can't really patent theory, how a salesman comes up with this crap is beyond me.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.