Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smith Regulator problem

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smith Regulator problem

This regulator came came with my MM252. Just got a refilled C25 bottle and when I turned it on, it did this:

Never saw this before. Quick fixes?

http://youtu.be/amBoK***Dhw

PS. Well geez..... they won't let me post a video here. Unless I don't know what I'm doing.
    All I can say is the regulated side gauge needle vibrates full deflection when I start cranking up the pressure. Strange.
    Last edited by Gobysky; 08-03-2012, 12:34 PM.

what model smith??

the one that came with my MM350P is unmarked....

sent you a PM....

Comment

Regulator "CHATTERING"

What it looks like to me is a burr or other obstruction between the valve and seat on the diaphragm... not allowing it to seat properly..
      This appears to be a manufacturing defect..

This equipment looks brand new.. if within the 3 year warrantee Miller, should exchange it free of charge

It may just be new and stiff... only requiring a sharp rap on the side to free it... to return to normal ops.... but I tend to err on the side of caution...
      Last edited by H80N; 08-04-2012, 06:46 AM.

Comment

Smith Regulator problem

Thanks for your help H80N. I'll try tapping on it before returning it.

Comment

Using another regulator type

I understand the regulators are designed for certain gas mixtures & types. Would there be a problem with me using my Flowmeter off of my 100% Argon bottle while I'm getting the C25 regulator serviced or exchanged? Or should I just buy a cheap backup?

Comment

Originally posted by Gobysky View Post
            I understand the regulators are designed for certain gas mixtures & types. Would there be a problem with me using my Flowmeter off of my 100% Argon bottle while I'm getting the C25 regulator serviced or exchanged? Or should I just buy a cheap backup?
            should work just fine

http://weldingdirect.com/rearsiga1hob.html

http://weldingdirect.com/sinstagflowg.html
            Last edited by H80N; 08-04-2012, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Warranty Coverage

Just called Miller customer service. Excellent service on replacing this Smith Regulator. Will have a new one in a couple of days. This problem must have been rare, since no one else has seen this issue. In the mean time, I'll always keep a spare cheap regulator laying around.

I'll give Miller an A+ on customer service.

Comment

Just called Miller customer service. Excellent service on replacing this Smith Regulator. Will have a new one in a couple of days. This problem must have been rare, since no one else has seen this issue. In the mean time, I'll always keep a spare cheap regulator laying around.

Glad they are taking care of you...... the quality of service affects all of us...

In my book, having great customer service is much more valuable in the long run than gimmicks like owner's clubs or contests.....

We have substantial investment in our equipment and it is reassuring to know the support is there in the event of problems.....

Comment

Gobysky,

I have passed the video clip onto the engineers at Smith and will send them the regulator as soon as we get it back here. This is an unusal issue and the engineers are really curious as to what is causing it. Thank you for taking the time to make the video and pass it along.

Comment

Regulator being shipped back today

Originally posted by Miller Kevin View Post
                    Gobysky,

I have passed the video clip onto the engineers at Smith and will send them the regulator as soon as we get it back here. This is an unusal issue and the engineers are really curious as to what is causing it. Thank you for taking the time to make the video and pass it along.

I don't know the internal workings of the Miller Company, but I put a note in the box to make sure you get the reg. and it doesn't get lost in the shuffle.

Thanks for shipping the new one out so fast.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.