Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Might be Adding a little Red to the collection....

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Might be Adding a little Red to the collection....

Have not been on the board in a while, been very busy, work, and my personal work has kept me out. I have been fixing another service truck to sell, and will be moving my legend 302 onto that truck. Since miller does not make the legend anymore, Im considering the Lincoln 305g, like the fact the welder is a little shorter, (fits the maintainer srv body bettar). Also the fact the 305 is about 70lbs lighter is nice as the weight of srv trucks adds up fast. Like the low, and hi speed settings on the 305 to. From what I have read its a great welder, will be meeting with the Lincoln rep to see how she welds.
    Kevin

Smart choices.

Do the comparisons and make sure you get what you need and spend your money wisely.

I have two 302's. One gas and one diesel. awesome machines and very versitile

Comment

Might be Adding a little Red to the collection....

I have a 305 and welded with miller for years I like mine it does it all and haven't had a problem out of it. It's a nice machine

Comment

Miller makes a Trailblazer 325 millers version or a Lincoln Ranger 305G, The Trailblazer is smaller lighter a tad more powerfull than the ranger and it can weld at idle, i would check out both before i purchase one you might like the blue one better, just my 2cents.

Comment

Yep the Trailblazer is a nice machine providing you can find one that actually works properly. Most appear to be screwed before leaving the factory.

As for the Ranger, please do the following modification BEFORE you even start it.

Drill out the upper sides of the cap, with a 1/16 drill bit. Drill out the 4 indentations inside the cap. Cut and plug the fuel tank vent line. vent line is to the right of the spark plug lead. Merely cut it and plug both ends.

Emmision reguirements state that you can't merely vent the gas tank to the atmosphere. However, it kinda nice to fill up the fuel tank neck for extra welding time. If you do fill up the neck witout this mod. you will double fuel the carb when the engine is running. or if you let the unit sit overnight fuel will enter the carb and then go down the engine into a waiting cylinder/ Locking it up and likely destroying it when you go to fire it in the day time.

This mod lets you fill it right up, like the old versions.

To many destroyed engines so far, with guys not reading the manual or sticker on the tank

Comment

Holy crap a 305g's engine can seize if you overfill the tank? Good grief! That's like an "autokill" feature built right in.

Many thanks for the warning and bypass instructions.

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
              Emmision reguirements state that you can't merely vent the gas tank to the atmosphere. However, it kinda nice to fill up the fuel tank neck for extra welding time. If you do fill up the neck witout this mod. you will double fuel the carb when the engine is running. or if you let the unit sit overnight fuel will enter the carb and then go down the engine into a waiting cylinder/ Locking it up and likely destroying it when you go to fire it in the day time.
              fyi Cruizer, this is no longer the case on any new Rangers. My local repair shop has confirmed this with Lincoln.

Comment

Really, cause I run a welder repair/rental shop. The machines are still comming in with the frigged up venting system

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
                  Really, cause I run a welder repair/rental shop. The machines are still comming in with the frigged up venting system
                  Really really, check with your Lincoln rep to be sure, but I was told that earlier this year the over fueling issue was resolved through an engineering change.

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Mansfield View Post
                    Really really, check with your Lincoln rep to be sure, but I was told that earlier this year the over fueling issue was resolved through an engineering change.
                    I am a Lincoln service rep...

Comment

What they did is stick a small plastic hose in the other vent hose. While it helps, the engine still double fuels, and still locks up.

If you just fill the tank up to the full mark, there is not enough to run for a 12 hr shift. If you fuill it right up (in the neck) You have lots. NO ONE IS GOING TO WATCH THE FUEL GAGE, they stick the nozzle in and wait for the nozzle to click. Its way too high then. Do you watch your cars fuel gage, NOPE, you wait for the click. This Lincoln idea is STUPID.

Comment

Asking the horse. :-) I'll post Lincoln's response once I get it.

Comment

The horse says:

"The fuel fill “problem” you are hearing about is due to new EPA regulations that no longer allow us to vent the fuel tanks out of the gas cap. The issue arises when the fuel tank is overfilled. Once this happens, pressure builds up, and gas flows into the carburetor. If it is filled to where the gauge reads full it will be fine.

We have since made a couple of improvements to the system. In the early fall of 2012, we installed a loop to raise the hose above the fuel level and prevent flow into the carb. More recently, we have retooled the tank to position the valve higher on the neck and alleviate the issue.

This should only apply to machines built in 2012, up until the improvements, and only on gas engines."

Comment

Perhaps in order to stay within the regulations they could vent the gas tank via a closed overflow tank with a drain so you could recover the gas.--Meltedmetal

Comment

The early 2012 305's had the vent about 8" up on the neck, with the new location 10" above the neck and they raised the hose. This sort of helped with the unwanted fueling of the engine overnight. But it doesn't help with the double fueling, and the engine locking up.

My solution still stands.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.