Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Red Parts

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Red Parts

As usual the red forum is no help so I'll try here. Got an old sp-200 wire machine and need a drive motor. Can't see paying $400 for it from red and comp that made motor has folded and I can't find any specs.
    Info I have from motor is

Jones Instruments
    Stamford Ct
    Motak
    12v
    # P1020-103

If I could find motor specs I could cross reference and adapt something.
    Lincoln # S16952-1

Thanks in advance
    Dave

Try giving Grainger a call. They can cross reference and match just about any electric motor.
    Chances are that motor is "off the shelf" and wasn't designed and made specifically for Lincoln. Relays, switches and contactors are the same way and have many applications.

Comment

Just got off phone with Grainger They have no cross reference but can match something if I can get specs
      Dave

Comment

Well $400 is actually a good deal, as my cost is $368

Comment

Before I buy a 400 motor I would prefer a 100 motor and also want to make sure the board that drives it is OK. I'll gamble with 100 but not 400 on a 1980s machine
          Dave

Comment

The problem usually is with the gear box, not the drive motor.

Comment

In playing with it today I have to wonder if the drive is the problem or a result. Electronics guy helping me out was checking voltage and amp draw and we found there was AC present in the DC motor feed lines. Starting to look like a control board problem. Any other ideas cruiser? There is some wear in the drive gears and if it needs a board also I think it will be time for a replacment machine
              Thanks
              Dave

Comment

As your electrician will know, that AC your reading is merely a ghost signal. Electricians and electronics don't mix well together

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
                  As your electrician will know, that AC your reading is merely a ghost signal. Electricians and electronics don't mix well together
                  I can agree with the mixing but would I still see a ghost with the motor out of the equation and using a load to replicate the drive motor? Sad part is the motor and drive seem to run fine when connected up to a separate power supply. Wire feeds smooth and easy with no drag thru the liner.

questions and more questions but no clear answers
                  Dave

Comment

is the 10 amp fuse on the circuit board blown?

Do you have arc voltage?

Is there a timer kit installed?

Has the 2.5 amp motor circuit breaker tripped?

If you were to jumper the trigger leads at your machine, does the motor turn?

Questions that need to be answered....
                    Last edited by cruizer; 07-18-2012, 06:18 PM.

Comment

is the 10 amp fuse on the circuit board blown?

Do you have arc voltage?------- Machine welds fine when wire feeds

Is there a timer kit installed? ----- no timer kit

Has the 2.5 amp motor circuit breaker tripped?----- Thats the problem Trips constantly. Starts out ok then trips after a min then trips with increasing frequency

If you were to jumper the trigger leads at your machine, does the motor turn? ----- Motor runs fine untill breaker trips

Questions that need to be answered....
                      Dave

Comment

Well, You've eliminated the board as being the problem. In all likelyhood the breaker is faulty, maybe that the drive adjuster is way too tight so the motor has to work harder, thus draws too much power. Or your gun liner is clogged.

If you flip the drive open, does the motor still trip?

Comment

Well, You've eliminated the board as being the problem. In all likelyhood the breaker is faulty, maybe that the drive adjuster is way too tight so the motor has to work harder, thus draws too much power. Or your gun liner is clogged.

If you flip the drive open, does the motor still trip?
                          Will have to try with drive open. Liner is OK as I can pull wire freely thru it Tried larger breaker and run time is longer untill motor decides it doesn't want to turn anymore and gets real hot as in too warm to leave your hand on. I can get entire drive assembly with motor and gearbox for 550 but just want to be 100% sure before I spend $ on this unit as for what it does I can get the Miller 180 unit for $850 new which is looking better and better but decision is the boses

Comment

Just because you can pull the wire freely though it doesn't mean too much, it may just be that the liner is cut too short so its having a tough time getting out of the tip. Even if the liner had a shallow bend, it would still pull freely.

What kinda wire are you useing?

You'll need a bigger machine if your using 035 and above anyways as a 180 won't cut it.

Comment

Only pushing 030 solid wire Can't believe the liner is bad with how free the wire slides by hand. Machine is mostly used for body panels in a body shop with an occasional chassis job I put the liner in not that long ago and it always ran fine untill this breaker problem which gets worse as the motor warms up

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.