Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for advice, preferably from Pipe Welders.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mcadams View Post
    Williston North Dakota, Gillette wyoming, and Cheyenne wyoming area are all using welders with their own rigs on pipelines. their tests are simple: pass a 6g on the pipe sixe that they are using and you are good to go, if you can maintain quality welds. if you are gonna try pipelining, you will want a linclon pipeliner, SA-200, SAE-300 dc welder. normally they will have you running with 6010 bead rod and 7014. make sure you have a pancake. no pipeline welder welds with other than a pancake.
    Thank you for that info sir. That is funny you mention a Pancake, my welding instructor in HS knew I wanted to work on the pipeline, so for graduation he gave me a pancake kind of as a joke. What brand is most popular? I know there is a lot of "opinions," about the style pancake you have on the pipelines. The California guys get grief all the time about their style pancake...haha.
    My TOYS...
    -Millermatic 250 mig
    -Syncrowave 200 Tig/Stick
    --2008 Dodge Cummins--
    sigpic

My future toy...
    --Miller Trailblazer 302 diesel--

Comment

Originally posted by mcadams View Post
      Williston North Dakota, Gillette wyoming, and Cheyenne wyoming area are all using welders with their own rigs on pipelines. their tests are simple: pass a 6g on the pipe sixe that they are using and you are good to go, if you can maintain quality welds. if you are gonna try pipelining, you will want a linclon pipeliner, SA-200, SAE-300 dc welder. normally they will have you running with 6010 bead rod and 7014. make sure you have a pancake. no pipeline welder welds with other than a pancake.
      7014?! Shoot, we have to run 7010 or the hyppe rod. 5p+ with a 5 for the root and hot pass depending on the the tester, then 3's all the way out.

The Lincolns mentioned above are nice, ran the 300, and a Ranger 10 for a while, but the Pipe pro 304 is all that and then some. I have to do alot of mig and the Lincoln aren't as smooth and running 5p+ for the root.......its like butter!

Comment

7014 on pipeline? you sure about that?

Comment

Looking for advice, preferably from Pipe Welders.

Every pipeline I've ever been on was either 8010 all the way out or 8010 bead 8018 out or 6010 7018. They haven't burnt hippy rod since I was a helper ...... Yeah I hate to say it unless you have a Lincoln on your rig set up pipeliner style they won't let you on the job .... Miller is frowned upon in the pipeliner world

Comment

I hate to say it unless you have a Lincoln on your rig set up pipeliner style they won't let you on the job .... Miller is frowned upon in the pipeliner world[/QUOTE]
            I don't know about that one there is millers on pipeline up here in canada anyways.

Comment

Well, Dr Pipe, here in Chicago our WPS states, 6010 root and can run that out if x42 and lower or 6010 root and run 7010 out up to x70. We don't have anything stronger than that. Really don't need being MAOP is 450. Population density dictates that, but out in Gods country, 1000 and up is the norm.

We do use 80s d-2 in our mig guns. Were a little behind the times, still running the 19th edition API 1104.

And not to start anything, but, all the pipepros that came through for quailification passes, can't say that about the Lincoln's, here. I know alot of the older guys love them salamanders, but after running mine, I'll never go back. Darn shame they stop building them!

Comment

they still make 7010?

Comment

Lincoln Shield Arc 85 (7010).........its takes a little to get use to, but she flows nice once dialed in.

Comment

Threads almost a year old....

Comment

Working...
                    X