Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alberta Journeymans pratical test ?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alberta Journeymans pratical test ?

Hey all just wondering what kind of practical weld testing you all have to go through out there to get your journeymans ?

Guess it linda depends on who you apprentised with in years and documented schooled apprentiship training you already have.

If you have a red seal, then its just a basic test at GRB welding

Best to contact N.A.I.T
    Last edited by cruizer; 06-15-2012, 02:57 PM.

Comment

So the Alberta provincial gov requires no practical test before allowing the red seal ?

Here in NL we have to weld:

- 6" sch 80 pipe in the 6 g 7018 root,hot,fill and cap, 3/32 for the root and hot 1/8 for the rest. 2 roots and 2 face bends with the option for the inspectors to do all root bends. If they open you go home, and get to go back to school for 7 weeks...

- 4 inch, sch 40, 5G, tig root 3/32 7018 hot and cap passes. All root bends. They open you go home...

- 2gf flux core CWB plate. Side bends on stop starts, again they open and you get to go home...

- 10 inch long, 1/8x2 (width and thickness of pieces) t joint with mig overhead and vert down

- A cutting test on 3/8" plate cutting circles, guided bevels and arcs also some other free hand cuts.

I honestly thought Alberta had a practical of some sort ?

Comment

In the beguining of your post you said a 3/32 7018 root ...... Now I've done a 7018 root but it is nothing pretty or in my mind very good why don't you guys burn 8010 or 6010 roots or a tig root and 7018 or 8018 weld out ..... I don't understand the benefit of a 7018 root

Comment

3 year apprenticeship before you test practical and theory. If your thinking of working out here (surprise) and have your red seal,you won't need to test, just show your cert.

Comment

drpipe when done right a 7018 root leaves a nice bead inside the pipe. The reason its done on test day over 6010 or 11 is because its harder to do.

Cornerstone As for me going out there to work and it being a "suprize" well I don't know what you mean there, I don't plan on it. My buddy went out there as an apprentice pipefitter and has gotten nowhere with it in 6 years only a second year.
            I on the otherhand have managed to do my first 9 month course and all my hours in that time. Im just waiting on the results of my Red Seal exam. And my buddy is on his way home to try and get his hours.

The reason im asking about your journeymans practical exam is because there are a lot of rumours around here and just wanted to see what is true....

Comment

I thought I had a link to the Alberta test but I can't find it at the moment, here is the Saskatchewan test:
              http://www.saskapprenticeship.ca/Fil...?entry_id=6374

Comment

Red Seal is across Canada, though you'll still have to do a practical bend test and or pipe test for what ever procedure the company you apply to requires.

i don't think there will be any 7018 root here, thats kinda unheard of. It'll be STT or 6010.

As for your Pipefitter buddy, he more than likely didn't do the required yearly courses, instead stayed on site to make more money. No yearly course then no advancement.

Comment

Originally posted by Newfie_1986 View Post
                  drpipe when done right a 7018 root leaves a nice bead inside the pipe. The reason its done on test day over 6010 or 11 is because its harder to do.

Cornerstone As for me going out there to work and it being a "suprize" well I don't know what you mean there, I don't plan on it. My buddy went out there as an apprentice pipefitter and has gotten nowhere with it in 6 years only a second year.
                  I on the otherhand have managed to do my first 9 month course and all my hours in that time. Im just waiting on the results of my Red Seal exam. And my buddy is on his way home to try and get his hours.

The reason im asking about your journeymans practical exam is because there are a lot of rumours around here and just wanted to see what is true....
                  Re:"surprise". Lots of fellas from east coast and Nfld working out here...ever since oilsands were developed and fisheries dried up. Just a remark, not a smart... one.
                  Bob.

Comment

I know the red seal is across canada... So other than that you guys have no practical test before you're allowed to take it ? We take our practical first if you fail you dont even get to try the red seal.

As for my pipefitter buddy, well hes a meat head and he'd probably do just what you said cruizer.

Cornerstone didnt really take it as a smart remark, didnt really know how to take it, some people can be jerks just thought id get some clarity on what you meant. Some people I have talked to online about work out there have been less than plesant.

So after an Alberta apprentice finishes their hours and blocks of training all they have to do is complete the red seal to be a journeyperson ?

The reason im asking is around here I have heard some people say Alberta's apprenticeship is lacking. I cant see how that could be with all the trades work you guys have.. Again other people saying this not me im just here trying to see what the differences are in the systems. I dont want this to turn into a bash fest either thats not what I started this for. Just here to learn how the west does it, I might even come out of it with a few suggestions for our apprenticeship coordinator.

Thanks guys

Darryl

Comment

What we're lacking in Alberta are enough Journeymen! Lots of apprentice's but way too much work(and money) for them to take the necessary time and finish trade school.
                      And if I remember correctly, practical was a fillet weld in the F,OH,V and H positions. And this was given in your last year of apprenticeship. You were still required to perform a practical at the end 1st and 2nd year terms along with the theory. A provincial and interprovincial exam is written at the end of your 3rd year to acquire the much coveted "Red Seal". Now, this was how I remember it being done waaay back in '92. Bob.

Comment

Red seal. Sounds like some lame stuff to me around here we test ya on pipe 2'' xx in the six g. Then a 4" sch80 8010 all the way out. Then stainless and carbon tig tests 2" sch 80. In six g. Then if they pass in a timely manner we put em on a job we X-ray the first twenty welds 100% shoot it severe. Then if the guy is still around he is considered a journeyman Weldor. Red seal here sounds like a boy scout merit badge Eh?

Comment

Originally posted by drpipe View Post
                          Red seal. Sounds like some lame stuff to me around here we test ya on pipe 2'' xx in the six g. Then a 4" sch80 8010 all the way out. Then stainless and carbon tig tests 2" sch 80. In six g. Then if they pass in a timely manner we put em on a job we X-ray the first twenty welds 100% shoot it severe. Then if the guy is still around he is considered a journeyman Weldor. Red seal here sounds like a boy scout merit badge Eh?
                          2" XXH 6G is what we re-qualify on every two years, then there's job test on whatever they desire in 6G of course.

But the Red Seal is a national standard, what is there in the US, Huh?

Comment

Nothing but quality welders in the us we are born with a stinger in hand and a special diapers that hold welding rod.

Comment

Originally posted by drpipe View Post
                              Nothing but quality welders in the us we are born with a stinger in hand and a special diapers that hold welding rod.
                              lol

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.