back welding pipe procedure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• back welding pipe procedure

Anybody work where there is such a thing.... I know that if you need to back weld something it should be done before the fill .... But every once in a while even a good pipe welder will get a lil. Ip. In a root .... No if you've already welded it out I see no reason to grind through a weld to touch up an 1/8 inch of ip on the root when you can reach inside and get it..... Well there was a new qc around today. And we went round and round about this. I hate to say it but some of the welders I work with need to back weld to make it we were told to cut out four welds because they had touch ups .... I being the golden crusader of welding that I am I jumped to there defense. I stated ( hey qc dude you want this guy to grind through a good cap and dig down to a root on schedule forty pipe. That's bullshi. T cause it's so thin even backwelding heats it up enough to blue the cap so it's getting a even temp all the way threw. ). I say if you can see it backwelding it. No wonder gas costs so much with all this bull going on day in and day out .... So yeah I can't believe we would need to make a backwelding procedure that will probably cost us ten grand or more. Any thoughts pipers

are you talking about fixing a defect or doing the root by back welding the i.d. butt weld, i worked for a company in ventura, calif, vetco was its name before combustion engineering bought them out. the procedure we had to follow was to weld up the pipe butt joints by first welding the inside, complete, all the way around, then back grind it clean from the out side, then run a stick pass over the ground root, then put the sub arc to it, these were pipes from 16 to 30 inch dia. with up to a 4 inch wall, i should also mention the pipes were set up on electric rollers where speed could be controlled. they had to pass xray, mag and ut, if a defect was found in the root, fixing it was done from the inside

Comment

i never heard ''backwelding'' like that. When we use that term it is when we have screwed forged steel threaded joints that leak. Then we ''backweld'' instead of disassembling. Just weld over the threads.

Comment

Back welding means to weld inside the pipe to touch up your root pass

Comment

its been a few years, i dont think that it is done any different now, most of the larger pipe used in off shore oil exploration is welded that way, and i must emphasize large pipe, in the shop, not out in the field

Comment

back whe i was younger and had less gut i was the backweld man on 15" or bigger pipe. they would send me down the pipe with a flashlight to inspect the weld for defects .whe i fould a defect they would pull me out and send the lead in and then i would follow with a rope tied to my feet. i never did like small places and being inside a 60' joint of 15" pipe wasn't fun . but i was the smallest one that was certified so i got the job.the best part was i got promoted to foreman for doing all the dirty dangerouse work.

Comment

im not pipe welder by any means, but couple years ago i landed a job welding casing pipe for outfit boring under a bridge. the first weld i made was with .045 211 wire which i didnt think would cut it and it didnt. so i cleaned it out and got my 232 innershield .072 and zipped it up. they turned the boring machine on and that auger made that casing jump and buck like a bronco. the weld held on just fine and we did it again. the casing was 3' in diameter and depending on fit it took from 20-60 minutes to make each weld. their welder would use 7018 and run downhill and his welds constantly broke. my fastest one took 20 minutes.

Comment

Wire puts welders out of work ... I don't like it it's to fast and to easy to run **** if one journeyman set up all the machines helpers could pull the triggers..... Just saying

Comment

there is nothing worst to build than the first pipe to hit the ocean floor, usually its a 40 footer, half inch wall, some times a little larger, 16 inch dia., with a connector on one end and a concrete shoe on the other, the shoe is a formed piece of steel the same dia. as the pipe, the outer end is rounded off, it has a hole in the center, about as big as your fist, if i remember correctly, there is a flapper in the hole, and the whole thing is filled with concrete, leaving enough pipe exposed for the welding, ya gotta climb into this thing, drag the lead, enough rods, hood, gloves,ect, forgot to mention, the shoe is tacked onto the pipe first, then the welder climbs in to back weld the joint, once you are in there, your partner will set up an exhaust fan in the end that you crawled in, you have no light, ya weld by feel, and ya yell out for the pipe to be rolled during the welding, and these things would go to xray, couldnt do it now, too fat to fit

Comment

Originally posted by kevin View Post
                    there is nothing worst to build than the first pipe to hit the ocean floor, usually its a 40 footer, half inch wall, some times a little larger, 16 inch dia., with a connector on one end and a concrete shoe on the other, the shoe is a formed piece of steel the same dia. as the pipe, the outer end is rounded off, it has a hole in the center, about as big as your fist, if i remember correctly, there is a flapper in the hole, and the whole thing is filled with concrete, leaving enough pipe exposed for the welding, ya gotta climb into this thing, drag the lead, enough rods, hood, gloves,ect, forgot to mention, the shoe is tacked onto the pipe first, then the welder climbs in to back weld the joint, once you are in there, your partner will set up an exhaust fan in the end that you crawled in, you have no light, ya weld by feel, and ya yell out for the pipe to be rolled during the welding, and these things would go to xray, couldnt do it now, too fat to fit
                    sounds like what i used to do but it was in the shop .i had to yell out for them to role the pipe . those was the fun days.

Comment

I am a committed stick used for field work, really because my work is so limited that its not worth toting extra equipment around but if I had to weld any real amount and had and say in the matter I would be dropping that rod holder like a hot rock in favor of a feeder.

I was working for AB, welding inershield for months on end, bridge stuff, all position and innershield was just really hitting the industry, this was in Miami where the AWS people are, they sent guys down on occasion to observe, they were really fussing over the clarity. Well there was no real secret, we were just so repetitious to the point of falling asleep and if a guy was a good lo hi welder this was it on steroids, 600A machines.

Technically I was still in the apprenticeship at the time, my home local was encouraging certification thru the hall and I spent a day running test plates one time after I came off the road. It was hard to get used to this little machine but I heard the testing and x ray people looked them over pretty good and they were mentioning the clarity and some other crap I don't have much clue about but it made me a believer in wire, although I would suspect a huge part to be a doesn'tesnt have to stop to chuck another rod in a stinger in some poor location or on big joints all the way up without a break.

Comment

My thoughts on welding have been an evolutionary process, starting out with a need, a couple schools, apprenticeship, quite a bit of varied experience due to being a chronic malcontent and compulsive job hopper. I would say in my early mid 20's I felt like some kind of golden arm on occasion, in my 30's just a means and really any more a tool just like any of the other utilities.

I think I have always been far more interested in the building and the process than the welding, it just happened to be a trade I was good at and turned into such usefulul skill when competingng with other non welder mechanics.

Back when I was packing a lunch box it also allowed for trade jumps.
                        Last edited by Sberry; 06-18-2012, 08:49 AM.

Comment

I actually got lots of welding stories, ha I partially remember somehow I end up in a small town in central Florida shacked up with Goldilocks the barmaid, who I think was a former stripper that found her way home and sloshing drinks was the best local job she was qualified for,,, seems her name started with a D,,, which was fitting at the time but I must have been about broke, not that it mattered much but I hire on with a local "welding contractor".

Turns out this is a guy about one step from being Mennonitete preacher, I show up about an hour late stinking like whiskey, probably even smoking a camel,,, but first thing I said when I see this tank about half finish in the middle of the brush was WTF? About 30 or 40 young guys, must have been relatives monkey around thithingng like ants on shakey scaffold pecking away at 7018 slag themanagege to goober on with 1/8. To this day I never did figure out who brainstormed to hire this outfit to put this tank together, about 20 old engine drives sitting around, leads, cords, electric grinders from ****. I actually had a few snap shots from this but lost them, it was about funny, I mean when you got a neaderelictct unemployed drunk laughing to tears its bad.

Comment

Our WPS calls for backwelding after your fill pass but before before your cap.
                            Miller Syncrowave 200
                            Homemade Water Cooler
                            130XP MIG
                            Spectrum 375
                            60 year old Logan Lathe
                            Select Machine and Tool Mill
                            More stuff than I can keep track of..

Comment

i still use a stick most of the time. if im only going to be there a few minutes its not worth dragging the suitcase around. i find that there are alot of people who cannot run wire. in fact they cant run simple 3/32 7018. the outfit i work for the owner who says he was a pipe welder cant run an 1/8" rod. i watched this last week. but if i have alot of welding in one area i will get the ln-25 out and nail it

Comment

Working...
                              X