Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tig welding 1/4" aluminum 1st attempt

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Drf255 View Post
    Gotta a question on this one.

Not sure on Goose's Lincoln, but my Syncro 250 transformer topped out at 68% EN with the balance set on MAX. Wouldnt lowering it more put less heat into the part?
    It would put less heat in the metal and more in the gap.
    I see too often the balance set too much towards penetration and not get an adequate amount of cleaning. When you can clea the surface it helps with the glazing that forms the puddle.

YMMV

Comment

?

What is chem etching and backfeeding, also I checked out Tig handbook it says to sharpen tungsten then flaten tip? Im using fine flap disc to sharpen all I have is 41/2" grinder

Comment

[QUOTE=Goose14;287840]What is chem etching and backfeeding, also I checked out Tig handbook it says to sharpen tungsten then flaten tip? Im using fine flap disc to sharpen all I have is 41/2" grinder[/QUOTE

Chem-etching is essentially acid or alkaline etching for removing the oxide layer. Backfeeding is tig welding the opposite direction you would normally weld, or pulling.

Flatening a sharpened tip is counter-intuitive to me. If a flat gets on my tungsten, I sharpen it. The flat on the end of the tungsen changes the arc characteristic to a more columnar arc. I however do that with frequency.

Comment

Thanks

Got it

Comment

Starting arc

Do I "mash" down on the pedal tp create an instant puddle or do I start off slowly

Also im sharpeningy tingsten withfine grit flap disc and it doesnt seem to be balling up evenly but it does have a controled arc, whats thebest way to sharpen 2% thoriated tungsten

Comment

Originally posted by Goose14 View Post
              Do I "mash" down on the pedal tp create an instant puddle or do I start off slowly

Also im sharpeningy tingsten withfine grit flap disc and it doesnt seem to be balling up evenly but it does have a controled arc, whats thebest way to sharpen 2% thoriated tungsten
              You can start either way, but I roll into it. It is important to roll out when stopping to prevent cratering.

Red tungsten will not ball up as well as 2% ceriated or 2% lanthanated.
              Personally I keep Red for DC, and ceriated and lanthanated for AC.

For some reason 1.5% lanthanated self destructs as rapidly as Thoriated, so I been giving them out to the newbies to kill off on AC. Red is my all time favorite for steel.

I use a belt sander to sharpen my tungstens, with a pencil like taper.
              Last edited by shovelon; 06-19-2012, 01:28 PM. Reason: decrepid

Comment

Tig welding 1/4" aluminum 1st attempt

With 2% thoriated i sharpen it then lightley grind/ sand off the sharp tip to give it a slightley blunt tip. Works great.

I roll into it very quikly if that makes sense, i try to draw a pudle within 3-4 sec and then start dippin

Comment

Respond

Im gonna try rolling into and out I was getting a pin hole when finishing thanks again for the tips

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.