Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best plasma cutter

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best plasma cutter

I've been lookin at the hypertherm and the miller plasma cutters and I got a quote on the hypertherm and the guy at Airgas told me that the millers were junk but just lookin for some advice...Thanks.

Everyone has a preference. Here's a site on the Hypertherm that will help'

http://weldingweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=57

Not knowing your location but prices will vary. Here's my local guy that has reasonable prices. He has the Powermax 45, $1550.00 shipped.

http://www.weldersupply.com/

Comment

Lincoln and Thermal Dynamics are junk.....in my opinion.
      Millers are ok just do not have the technology that Hypertherm does.
      My choice 10 yrs ago?....Powermax 1000.
      My choice today if I had the need?......Powermax 65 hands down(but a Powermax 45 is one bad azz little machine too).

Comment

Best plasma cutter

Thanks for the replys...

Comment

I had a Miller 375 (which was made by Hypertherm for Miller). Now have a PM45. Go for the Hypertherm. Theyre underrated. I was able to cut 1.25" bar with mine, and cuts on 1/4 to 1/2" are so nice they look machined.

Comment

I cannot offer any comparison, but I bought a Powermax 45 about 6 weeks ago and it is a very impressive little box! I possibly could have gotten by with a smaller, less powerful unit but everyone says to buy bigger than you think you need. I am satisfied

Make sure you get some sort of air and water filter. It's mind boggling how much water is in the shop air.

Ken

Comment

i have a cutmaster 82s thermadyne, very satisfied!

Comment

From a tech point of view, the hypertherm is the best machine, but does not have the best torch.

The Thermadyne has the best torch and second best machine and has a year longer warranty.

The Miller inverter based is ok, and satisfactory torches

The ESAB is great for industrial applications not so much for the garage guy or low end applications

The Lincoln is junk when it comes to plasmas

Comment

When it comes to plasma cutters there are 3 names that stand out above the rest in cut performance and value. Hypertherm, Thermal Dynamics (aka thermadyne) and ESAB. I have used all 3 brands and they are all standouts above all others. My personal machine at home is a Thermal Dynamics and I have no complaints.
                  No idea why big mike says the thermal units are junk? I respectfully disagree.

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
                    From a tech point of view, the hypertherm is the best machine, but does not have the best torch.

The Thermadyne has the best torch and second best machine and has a year longer warranty.

The ESAB is great for industrial applications not so much for the garage guy or low end applications

What makes the TD torch superior to the Hypertherm torch?

Comment

Yes, Pleas explain the position on low quality torch. I have a machine torch on mine, but may eventually add a hand torch if I ever get my plasma table going again. I know Hypertherm is the best, especially in my opinion also, but why the torch comment. Empirical data or anecdotal hearsay? I would love to see the basis of that observation. If there is supporting documentation you should submit it to Hypertherm or at least fwd it to Jim Colt and let them know that there is an uncorrected flaw. They may already have a fix or something in the pipe line to address a specific flaw.
                      Thanks
                      Bob

Comment

i have a miller 625 and that seems to be a very good machine for my application. my wife draws designs on 1/8 sheet stock and i cut them out. dont use it for heavy industrial work just artwork

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer:287245

My experiance from the various plasma cutters at work is identical to this I couldnt phrase it any better myself. Repair on our millers though are a little worse than cruzer stated though. The ESAB has held up the best, but with most dificulty of use.

Comment

With hand plasma torches there are many differing thoughts regarding what users like and dislike. A lot of it has to do with the ergonomics of the torch....shape of the handle, location and operation of the trigger switch, angle of the torch head (90 degrees, 70 degrees, 15 degrees, etc.). Generally users tend to get used to what they use the most...and all others just don't feel right.

The other differences are with operation of the torch and its features.....pilot arc length and power (will it start well on rusty, painted or masked material?). Can the torch be dragged or temp[late cut at full power? Maximum pierce capacity without consumable damage.

Of course there are those that rate torches based on cut speed, consumable life, cut quality, system portability.

After 35 years in this business (plasma cutting....both hand held and mechanized) one thing is certain: The major brand plasma systems have come a long way! The early hand held units were slow, large, cut poorly, used a lot of power and were unreliable.......today's systems are incredible timesaving units that have eliminated the use of oxy-fuel rigs in many applications.

I urge those that are in the market to go to the weld supply dealers and try out as many different brands as possible...choose the one that suits your personal needs. Look at duty cycles, consumable life, maximum cut ratings.....look at the manuals and documentation that comes with the equipment...and most of all...ask around on the public forums before buying.

Then of course there is the whole world of mechanized plasma cutting....from the 45 amp air plasma up through 1000 amp systems that use argon-hydrogen for cutting....

Jim Colt

Originally posted by Rezeppa View Post
                            My experiance from the various plasma cutters at work is identical to this I couldnt phrase it any better myself. Repair on our millers though are a little worse than cruzer stated though. The ESAB has held up the best, but with most dificulty of use.

Comment

Originally posted by Drf255 View Post
                              I had a Miller 375 (which was made by Hypertherm for Miller). Now have a PM45. Go for the Hypertherm. Theyre underrated. I was able to cut 1.25" bar with mine, and cuts on 1/4 to 1/2" are so nice they look machined.
                              I just want to clear up your confusion Hypertherm has NEVER mde a power supply plasam or any other for Miller the 375's have always been made in Appleton Wisconsin.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.