Autogenous SMAW welding

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autogenous SMAW welding

I recently read an article that very briefly touched on autogenous SMAW welding. Bascically it said the process was possible but gave no details. Has anyone done this? How did you size the carbons? Was there any special prep needed? Do the carbons burn back and if so how quickly? If they do burn back it seems they'd contribute extra carbon to the base metal.

Don't know what Autogenous SMAW Welding is. Are you talking about a carbon arc torch? I have one of those around here somewhere but I've never used it yet.
    Meltedmetal

Comment

Autogenous is when no filler is used. Don't know about the carbon arc torch and is why I asked. What does your torch look like and how is it used?

Comment

Hi Again,
        Hope the pictures went though. I found the torch and if the pics are there it works like this: the red thumb button is used to pivot one of the carbon towards the other to strike an arc between the carbons and the arc is used to heat the metal kind of like an acetylene torch. The information on the box of carbons says they can be used to braze, hardface or heat and straighten parts. The torch belongs to a Fourney AC/CC welder that I have and both the ground and the stinger wire attach to the torch. I have both 1/2" and 3/8" carbons. They are about 6" long and some of them are made by Arcair. They appear to be similar to regular arcair carbons except they are shorter. I assume larger carbons were for more current/heat. Hope this is informative even if a little museum quality.
        New word for the day "Autogenous"
        Meltedmetal
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Meltedmetal View Post
          New word for the day "Autogenous"
          Don't feel bad i had to look it up also and i have been doing it for 25 years with a TIG and didn't even know it. Those carbon arc torches were pretty common in the 60's and 70's with a stick welder package. Now that everyone has a MIG they have fallen from the scene...Bob

That torch is a museum piece and would look good beside my Solid Ox torch from the 70's...
          Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
          http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

Sorry, I thought you all knew what autogenous was.

I see now why it's not much used. Thanks a million for the pics, really kind of you to post them. I've done autogenous welds many times with my TIG setup and was intrigued I might be able to do the same with SMAW. Now that I'm better informed my curiosity is completely satisfied. I don't need to experience it. Thx again for the kind help.

Comment

Museum Pieces

I'll post one more before I let this go. I have and still use a K.O.Lee model W275 AC stick welder. It's older than me but it still works. Their idea of "duty cycle" was 200 amps for 1/2 hour.
              Bob if ever decide to part with my carbon arc torch I'll get in touch.
              I haven't looked to see if one already exists but maybe a thread about old stuff would be interesting to some forum users?
              Couple of pics. I don't make excuses for the condition of my shop, its where I work. haha
              Meltedmetal
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Meltedmetal View Post
                I'll post one more before I let this go. I have and still use a K.O.Lee model W275 AC stick welder. It's older than me but it still works. Their idea of "duty cycle" was 200 amps for 1/2 hour.

Meltedmetal
                Wow..how old do you think that welder is, anyway? Looks like something out of some old sci-fi movie or something!!
                Don J
                Reno, NV

Never pick a fight with an old guy. Old guys are too smart to fight and get hurt. They'll just kill you and get it over with.

Comment

Originally posted by dondlhmn View Post
                  Wow..how old do you think that welder is, anyway? Looks like something out of some old sci-fi movie or something!!
                  Yes, it has a little R2D2 thing going on. I am fairly sure that my father bought it used in the 1950s. I'm only guessing but I would say probably the 1940s maybe even the late 30's. It's from the era when welding transformers were wound in copper instead of aluminum(it's very heavy) and operates without a cooling fan but I suppose the addition of one could raise the "duty cycle" to 200A for 3/4 of an hour. Haha. Kind of comparing apples and oranges and not to offend all the new inverter style machines but I wonder if any of them are still going to be functional after that length of time.
                  Meltedmetal

Comment

Originally posted by HayFarmer View Post
                    Autogenous is when no filler is used. Don't know about the carbon arc torch and is why I asked. What does your torch look like and how is it used?
                    So, given the fact that SMAW is "shielded metal arc welding"

How could one possibly achieve autogenous SMAW?
                    What would you shield with?
                    Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by J hall View Post
                      So, given the fact that SMAW is "shielded metal arc welding"

How could one possibly achieve autogenous SMAW?
                      What would you shield with?
                      Yeah, I was kinda wondering the same thing. Seems to be a contradiction in terms here.

Closest thing I've ever been exposed to, a friend of mine, apprenticed in the sheet metal workers back in the 1960's, would weld galvanized together using a pure carbon rod (no copper coating) ground to a point. Clamped in a regular stinger. Worked it just like a gas torch, or a tig torch, but he also fed Everdur rod in as a filler, so not really "autogeneous".
                      Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Comment

No idea but it's a good question...which is why I asked.

Comment

On 2nd thought...perhaps a special carbon is used which as it burns contributes the shield. Just a guess thought.

Comment

Working...
                          X