Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

stainless to steel welding

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • stainless to steel welding

    We are welding cheap stainless ( little bit ferrous) I can feel a little pull from a magnet.. to a 4" galv coated post. We are grinding the galv off & welding with a 70 S6 standard steel wire. Does anyone see a problem with this? we weld steel & aluminum usaully & make these welds maybe twice a month. The welds look good & have good deep penetration. Just curious if this might fail in the future. your thoughts!!

  • #2
    309 SS wire would be a better choice.
    Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
    Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
    Hobart HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
    Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
    PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
    Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
    Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
    More grinders than hands

    Comment


    • #3
      With Argon?

      Comment


      • #4
        I'd use C25 since the mild steel will rust anyway. The weld bead will be more corrosion resistant than the base metal.

        For SS to SS I still use Tri-Mix for short arc.
        Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
        Dynasty 200 DX
        Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
        Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
        Hobart HH187
        Dialarc 250 AC/DC
        Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
        Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
        PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
        Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
        Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
        More grinders than hands

        Comment


        • #5
          stainless to steel welding

          I have been a pipe and tube welder for about 10 years when we make a dmw or dissimilar metal weld we use inconel idk how critical you need to be on your project though

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Waymack View Post
            I have been a pipe and tube welder for about 10 years when we make a dmw or dissimilar metal weld we use inconel idk how critical you need to be on your project though
            What is the advantage of using iconel over SS.
            Nick

            Comment


            • #7
              now Im no metallurgist but from what I understand inconel has a mixture of metals that will weld properly to carbon chrome or stainless this is for high heat high pressure lines now if it's not anything critical weld it with whatever u want if it's gettin painted weld it with carbon

              Comment


              • #8
                It is a 4" flange to hang an aluminum gate on. welded all 4 sides. gate does not weigh 100 pounds. like I said the welds look good & the stainless is not pure. CHINA CRAP probably. I can fell resistance with a magnet. After we weld we are powder coating the whole pc.

                I did order some 309 ss wire for the future. I just hope what I have out there now will not fail. Any thoughts on this. will they fail?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by solhauls View Post
                  I did order some 309 ss wire for the future. I just hope what I have out there now will not fail. will they fail?
                  Depends on who is welding them and what gas is being used. Yes it will fail if the weld looks like bird droppings and no they won't fail if the area is prepped properly and the welds are good...Bob
                  Bob Wright

                  Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
                  http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by solhauls View Post
                    & the stainless is not pure. CHINA CRAP probably. I can fell resistance with a magnet. After we weld we are powder coating the whole pc.
                    What do you mean the stainless "is not pure?" what you're welding to is most likely a 4xx series stainless. 400 series (like 409) are non-austentic and will be slightly magnetic. if you're using ss exhaust pipe... it more than likely is 400 series.
                    Bobcat 225NT
                    Cutmaster 52
                    Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 buzz box
                    Caterpillar TH63
                    '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by bretsk2500 View Post
                      What do you mean the stainless "is not pure?" what you're welding to is most likely a 4xx series stainless. 400 series (like 409) are non-austentic and will be slightly magnetic. if you're using ss exhaust pipe... it more than likely is 400 series.
                      Stainless steel 300 series can be "slightly magnetic" if it has been work hardened.
                      For instance a bend or any kind of drilling or forming or stamping process.

                      400 series stainless does look different that 300 series.
                      The 400 series will rust . A good example is disc brakes. put some white vinegar mixed with 50% water on it and look for rust after a few hours.

                      The 309 welding filler is made for joining stainless to steel.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        the part has been machined. that would account for the magnet I suppose. I am going with the 309 wire from now on & Argon gas. That is all we use on the aluminum.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by solhauls View Post
                          the part has been machined. that would account for the magnet I suppose. I am going with the 309 wire from now on & Argon gas. That is all we use on the aluminum.
                          I wouldn't use pure Argon as it doesn't wet out and makes a big tall bead. Just my thoughts...Bob
                          Bob Wright

                          Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
                          http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X