Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Miller Performance Series helmet problems

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miller Performance Series helmet problems

I have a Performance Series auto darkening helmet that has recently started having issues. Most of the time it has been fine, but earlier this week while welding in my basement I had several instances where, in the middle of welding, the shade just quit on me so that my eyes were unprotected. I've only had the helmet since December of 2011. The battery light is not lit. I tried adjusting some of the controls, and it went away for a while, but it did it again a couple of times later in the day when I first got to work and was watching a guy set some parts up before starting my shift. After that it was fine and I have had no problems with it.

This is bothering me partly because the hardware store helmet I had before this one did the exact same thing to me. I am wondering if there is not enough light in my basement to charge the battery, or if I leave it in the bag too long sometimes between shifts at work so it does not get a charge. I don't recall seeing anything in the instructions about exposing the charging sensor to sunlight, so maybe that's my problem? I didn't think that was necessary, but maybe having light other than fluorescence is what I need? Does it need to charge under incandescent lighting? How do I tell if it might be some other kind of problem? Are there any tests I can perform?

Any thoughts you all have on this would be great. It's pretty unnerving to be in the middle of a weld and have the shade quit. I like my eyesight, you know?

All right, I dug around and got hold of the user manual, and it looks like it needs to sit in direct sunlight for 20 minutes before use. The manual doesn't say how long a charge lasts, though. I don't know about anyone else, but all of my welding is done inside. How long does a charge last? One day? Six weeks?

Comment

It should charge as you are welding, if you are using every day you shouldn't have to put out in sunlight.
      Kevin

Comment

That's weird. Wonder why I had the problem. I was on vacation for about two weeks and didn't use it. Would that make a difference? Could it lose all its charge in just two weeks? When I weld at work it's usually eight hours of it, pretty much constant use. This thing is getting a lot of use four days a week.

Comment

I have a Miller Performance helmet and the battery it uses is a Cr 2450 non-rechargeable battery. I bought the helmet in January of this year. There was nothing in the manual about placing the helmet in the sunlight or any light.
          Is mine a new improved model?
          Jack

Comment

That's interesting. I just looked at the Miller site for the Performance series helmets, and it says "replacement lithium battery, 2000 hours with solar assist." It shows pics of the helmet with the solar charging panel. Does yours have the panel above the viewing window?

Comment

Tig

I was tig welding today using an old helmet because the neighbor kid was using my Miller Digital Elite. The auto darking kept going off while I was welding. I had to turn up the sensitivity and the delay, to make it darken quicker, easier.
              It is a Jackson EQC, works ok now.
              I just hope I don't get flash burn to night.
              Good Luck,
              Bob

Edit: I made it through the night and no flash burn.
              Last edited by Bob Miller; 04-07-2012, 05:35 AM. Reason: add stuff

Comment

Bob, you got me thinkin'. I was using the helmet at work where we do a lot of bigger stuff, usually 150A or higher. At home I do a lot of small work, around 45A or even lower. I noticed when I was reading the instructions for the helmet today that the way you set the sensitivity is different than how I'd thought. You don't just go twisting it and resetting it. You have to turn it all the way down, hit "reset" and then start turning it up from there. Kind of odd, but no biggie...except I haven't been doing it that way. Could be that when I was switching conditions, but not switching the sensitivity properly. It has been fine all day today and was fine for two days at work. I can use a spare helmet at work, and at home I have a fixed-shade one for emergencies just such as this one. Glad you brought that up, and here's another case where reading the friggin' instructions again right off the bat would have answered some questions.

Comment

I didn't see anything that looked like solar charging.

Comment

The way I read it it's not a rechargeable but a solar back up
                    Kevin
                    Last edited by go2building; 04-07-2012, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Well, either way, I'm still having issues with it again today. It might be that it's only at lower sensitivity settings, but I'm not sure yet. I'll have to try it with that in mind tomorrow.

Comment

does anyone got the link to the instruction manual? i got mine used at a pawn shop i dont have any problems with it but by reading this it seems like i should read the instructions.

Comment

Originally posted by slow50 View Post
                          does anyone got the link to the instruction manual? i got mine used at a pawn shop i dont have any problems with it but by reading this it seems like i should read the instructions.
                          http://www.millerwelds.com/service/ownersmanuals.php

Try this
                          Kevin

Comment

Or here:

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...s/performance/

and click on the "resources" tab and then the little icon for the manual. I'm sure either of the two links will get you what you want.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.