Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Miller Elite helmet issues

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miller Elite helmet issues

Ok guys im not a big welder by trade but I do need to burn rod from time to tim and until today my miller elite helmet has been nothing but great. I went to weld up some CroMo 4130 tubing today and the issue of my helmet flickering from shade 8-9 and occasionally going back to the grinding shade and going back to the darkened shade but it wont stay consistent and ive run through everything i can think of I switched out the batteries with miller ones from the LWS ive put it out in the sun for a while to charge it ive cleaned the sensors and changed the plastic lens and so far no change in how it acts so im looking to you guys the experts is there something im missing or is it a warranty issue i bought it just over a year ago???

Have you tried the sensitivity adjustment?
    Kevin

Comment

May not be the answer you want to hear - Throw it as far as you can and buy a new helmet , just not a Miller. I went thru the same thing twice and to get them fixed cost more than a new hood. Local Airgas dealer said it is a common problem and not worth fixing for the cost. They are good hoods as long as they work .

Comment

My Miller Pro Hobby did about the same thing on Saturday. I thought the batteries were dead, changed them out, still it just kind of flickers a little. Mostly just dark.

Is there any kind of reset or something?

I hate to have to go buy a new helmet.

Comment

Originally posted by Swamp rat View Post
          May not be the answer you want to hear - Throw it as far as you can and buy a new helmet , just not a Miller. I went thru the same thing twice and to get them fixed cost more than a new hood. Local Airgas dealer said it is a common problem and not worth fixing for the cost. They are good hoods as long as they work .
          The hood is a little more than a year old it has a 2 year warranty. Don't throw it get it fixed.
          Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Swamp rat View Post

yes I did try the reset button a few times but it is under warranty ill see what the LWS can do for me but if the miller helmet isn't up to spec for you and they wont fix mine what helmet would you recommend I get all I do is tig.

Comment

Speedglas has a good hood for low amp tig. Did you check contact points for battery( dirty or bent down ). Is it ok when welding high amps. Also try increasing delay time.

Comment

I Personally have used a arc-one helmet for two years now and never had a problem. But I have tried other helmets. And what I have found is if you are in a position were the sensors are being blocked or your sensitivity is not set right. Flickering occurs. I personally just use a regular non Auto dark hood for tig because it is nicer to have a large being area and also I have never found an auto dark hood that will work properly on tig.

Comment

Battery Issue...

It may very well turn out to be a battery issue..... I found out when I needed to replace the batts in my BWE..... that due to some quirks in the battery holder design... some batteries will not work reliably... giving intermittant problems that can drive you nuts.... maybe this thread will be helpful..

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...g-Window-Elite

Comment

This was posted a while ago and the type of battery that should be used.

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...1&d=1312392692

Comment

Originally posted by BD1 View Post
                      This was posted a while ago and the type of battery that should be used.

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...1&d=1312392692
                      yep that is the same service note referenced in the BWE Battery thread I linked...
                      isn't that where you found it??

Comment

Yes you are right about that being in what you posted. i never opened up what you posted but I did have the single battery info bookmarked from when it was posted a while ago. this way I didn't have to go through a bunch of pages to locate.

Comment

I was aware of the battery issue so i tried a new set of Panasonic batteries for it still no change ill try to take it down to the LWS and see what I can do for a warranty or what.

Comment

miller warranty guys are great new auto-dark lens is on its way

Comment

Cool. Good thing you didn't throw it as far as you can.
                              Kevin

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.