Dynasty 280DX When?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shovelon View Post
    I don't take advantage of the pulse because it compromises the strenght of the joint.
    Hmmm...I've heard you say pulse is "useless on a Sync 250" (which makes no sense)...and now this.

Just out of curiosity, how does pulse "compromise the strength of the joint"? I never heard that.

Comment

Originally posted by Helios View Post
      Hmmm...I've heard you say pulse is "useless on a Sync 250" (which makes no sense)...and now this.

Just out of curiosity, how does pulse "compromise the strength of the joint"? I never heard that.
      That would be high speed pulse, alum mig, which is virtually spray at all times. I don't use it for fillets because I get low penetration and cracking. Helium may help but I just don't use the pulse and Argon is fine.

As far as pulsed tig, the slow speed pulse at max 10pps does little if anything. Maybe someone found a use for it. If it is a cadence feature, I am well past that. I have had tried slow speed pulse on Syncrowaves. Could never justify what it did, or it just slowed me down.

Mr. Sundown says he uses 10pps on his sync. More power to him. I have tried to duplicate the effect with my Dynastys, but can't figure it out. In fact all 10pps does for me is give me eye strain.

So how would high speed pulsed alum mig be of any benefit?
      Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
      3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
      Miller Dynasty200DX
      ThermalArc 400 GTSW
      MillerMatic350P
      MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
      MKCobraMig260
      Lincoln SP-170T
      Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
      Hypertherm 1250
      Hypertherm 800
      PlasmaCam CNC cutter
      Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
      SiberHegner CNC Mill
      2 ea. Bridgeport
      LeBlond 15" Lathe
      Haberle 18" Cold Saw
      Doringer 14" Cold Saw
      6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Comment

Dynasty 280DX Update

We've consulted with TIG product manager Brent Williams who reports "we are currently preparing for the release of the product - taking the necessary steps to verify quality and performance. We appreciate everyone's patience & continued interest in the new product...and we expect to begin rolling out the product in the near future - so stay tuned & be on the lookout for the release."

If you want more detailed information, you can visit the 280DX webpage. Fill out the interest form and you'll be alerted the moment the new machine becomes available.

Comment

Sorry, Shovelon, I missed the gearshift from TIG to MIG. My bad.
          (I thought Sundown was using 1pps..?)

Comment

Shovelon,

You never welded thinner SS with a Syncrowave?

Slow speed pulsing is great for welding thinwall SS tubing (boat rails, etc).

With the high speed pulsing on the Dynasty's, you're getting as much effect from "puddle aggitation" as you are from pulsing. Different animal.

As far as pulsed mig and aluminum. When you find yourself doing a lot of "out of postion" welds, you'll understand the benefit of pulsed mig when doing aluminum, or mild steel for that matter.

My feelings on the inverters (Dynasty's in particular) is that they will allow an advanced tigger to move to another level of capability. On the other hand, an experienced tigger, not dealing with the exotics, can do everything he needs done with a Syncrowave.

Shovelon makes a big thing about the power consumption of a Syncrowave vs a Dynasty. In his PARTICULAR situation, that may be the case. However, for the small shop or guy working out of his garage the difference in electrical usage will be in the noise level. Kinda like one shop flowing argon at 16 CFH and one shop flowing argon at 18 CFH. Personally, using a Dynasty 350 vs a Syncrowave 250 may save me enough to buy a cup of coffee at 7/11 each month (and I have their mug and pay refill price).

For a shop running 10+ tig welders, 8-10 hours a day it may be a different story.
            Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
            Dynasty 200 DX
            Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
            Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
            Hobart HH187
            Dialarc 250 AC/DC
            Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
            Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
            PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
            Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
            Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
            More grinders than hands

Comment

Originally posted by SundownIII View Post
              Shovelon,

You never welded thinner SS with a Syncrowave?

Slow speed pulsing is great for welding thinwall SS tubing (boat rails, etc).

With the high speed pulsing on the Dynasty's, you're getting as much effect from "puddle aggitation" as you are from pulsing. Different animal.

As far as pulsed mig and aluminum. When you find yourself doing a lot of "out of postion" welds, you'll understand the benefit of pulsed mig when doing aluminum, or mild steel for that matter.

My feelings on the inverters (Dynasty's in particular) is that they will allow an advanced tigger to move to another level of capability. On the other hand, an experienced tigger, not dealing with the exotics, can do everything he needs done with a Syncrowave.

Shovelon makes a big thing about the power consumption of a Syncrowave vs a Dynasty. In his PARTICULAR situation, that may be the case. However, for the small shop or guy working out of his garage the difference in electrical usage will be in the noise level. Kinda like one shop flowing argon at 16 CFH and one shop flowing argon at 18 CFH. Personally, using a Dynasty 350 vs a Syncrowave 250 may save me enough to buy a cup of coffee at 7/11 each month (and I have their mug and pay refill price).

For a shop running 10+ tig welders, 8-10 hours a day it may be a different story.
              Well, we can agree to disagree if you are willing.

When the 280 basic comes out, it will change the welding world. The culmination of everything inverter.

You might be right about pulsed alum mig. I just can't make it work in spray. And alum sprays.
              Last edited by shovelon; 07-27-2012, 09:01 AM. Reason: old

Miller Dynasty700DX
              Miller Dynasty200DX
              ThermalArc 400 GTSW
              MillerMatic350P
              MKCobraMig260
              Lincoln SP-170T
              Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
              Hypertherm 1250
              Hypertherm 800
              PlasmaCam CNC cutter
              Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
              SiberHegner CNC Mill
              2 ea. Bridgeport
              LeBlond 15" Lathe
              Haberle 18" Cold Saw
              Doringer 14" Cold Saw

Comment

Well, we can agree to disagree if you are willing.

When the 280 basic comes out, it will change the welding world. The culmination of everything inverter.

You might be right about pulsed alum mig. I just can't make it work in spray. And alum sprays.
                It will be hard pressed to beat the 350
                Last edited by Gunner12R; 08-03-2012, 03:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunner12R View Post
                  It will be hard pressed to beat the 350
                  Any 11 year old will to set up and use the Dynasty280 base model.
                  Attached Files

Miller Dynasty700DX
                  Miller Dynasty200DX
                  ThermalArc 400 GTSW
                  MillerMatic350P
                  MKCobraMig260
                  Lincoln SP-170T
                  Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
                  Hypertherm 1250
                  Hypertherm 800
                  PlasmaCam CNC cutter
                  Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
                  SiberHegner CNC Mill
                  2 ea. Bridgeport
                  LeBlond 15" Lathe
                  Haberle 18" Cold Saw
                  Doringer 14" Cold Saw

Comment

yea for 2800-3K at retail pricing, you don't get much.

Comment

Originally posted by Hemidude View Post
                      yea for 2800-3K at retail pricing, you don't get much.
                      Maybe this is more to your liking. The DX.

Miller Dynasty700DX
                      Miller Dynasty200DX
                      ThermalArc 400 GTSW
                      MillerMatic350P
                      MKCobraMig260
                      Lincoln SP-170T
                      Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
                      Hypertherm 1250
                      Hypertherm 800
                      PlasmaCam CNC cutter
                      Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
                      SiberHegner CNC Mill
                      2 ea. Bridgeport
                      LeBlond 15" Lathe
                      Haberle 18" Cold Saw
                      Doringer 14" Cold Saw

Comment

Any 11 year old will to set up and use the Dynasty280 base model.

I still don't see how that will make it superior? As most everyone here isn't a beginner or hobby welder that is a moot point I would think. I'm sure that will be a good selling point for some HOWEVER for me why would I want to make welding any easier for someone to come along and yesterday they were flipping burgers and today they are taking business out of my door because they have NO CLUE what they are doing and as we all know in today's world people mostly shop price on everything. So this guy thinks he's a welder and starts taking in work at a price that anyone that's a real welder with an established shop and a skill set that knows the amount of prep work etc that's required to weld the job properly can't match. We end up with a lot of stuff out there improperly welded causing people to get hurt when it fails at the most inopertune time and place. That feature to me is BAD for the welding trade NOT GOOD ! Kinda like PVC pipe killed the plumbing trade because anyone with a hack saw and can of glue could do it now.. SAME THING! How many houses across the United States are improperly plumbed because of that fact alone? More than we can count. When the skill set was taken away to actually install the pipe and made where any 11 year old could do it the craft suffered!! Welding is no different.. If you're going to be welding for a living you should know what all those knobs and adjustments do. That's what makes a man or woman a professional at their craft! I realize Miller is doing this with the best of intentions but the end result will be the worst of outcomes! Just yesterday I was a short order cook and today I is a welder mentality will prevail from this type of improvement..

Comment

Originally posted by Gunner12R View Post
                          I still don't see how that will make it superior? As most everyone here isn't a beginner or hobby welder that is a moot point I would think. I'm sure that will be a good selling point for some HOWEVER for me why would I want to make welding any easier for someone to come along and yesterday they were flipping burgers and today they are taking business out of my door because they have NO CLUE what they are doing and as we all know in today's world people mostly shop price on everything. So this guy thinks he's a welder and starts taking in work at a price that anyone that's a real welder with an established shop and a skill set that knows the amount of prep work etc that's required to weld the job properly can't match. We end up with a lot of stuff out there improperly welded causing people to get hurt when it fails at the most inopertune time and place. That feature to me is BAD for the welding trade NOT GOOD ! Kinda like PVC pipe killed the plumbing trade because anyone with a hack saw and can of glue could do it now.. SAME THING! How many houses across the United States are improperly plumbed because of that fact alone? More than we can count. When the skill set was taken away to actually install the pipe and made where any 11 year old could do it the craft suffered!! Welding is no different.. If you're going to be welding for a living you should know what all those knobs and adjustments do. That's what makes a man or woman a professional at their craft! I realize Miller is doing this with the best of intentions but the end result will be the worst of outcomes! Just yesterday I was a short order cook and today I is a welder mentality will prevail from this type of improvement..
                          I think you are looking at this the wrong way. It will not negate all the sweat you put into learning the trade, it will bring you the recognition you deserve. What the newbie will get is a quick start, but will not get the technique and years of trial and error you and I have gone through. And maybe when the newbie exhausts his talents, he will come to you to bail him out.

I only see positive things comming from this. I am quite excited by the serial port technology. If apple came out with this model, they may call it the IWELDER.

Miller Dynasty700DX
                          Miller Dynasty200DX
                          ThermalArc 400 GTSW
                          MillerMatic350P
                          MKCobraMig260
                          Lincoln SP-170T
                          Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
                          Hypertherm 1250
                          Hypertherm 800
                          PlasmaCam CNC cutter
                          Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
                          SiberHegner CNC Mill
                          2 ea. Bridgeport
                          LeBlond 15" Lathe
                          Haberle 18" Cold Saw
                          Doringer 14" Cold Saw

Comment

I think you are looking at this the wrong way. It will not negate all the sweat you put into learning the trade, it will bring you the recognition you deserve. What the newbie will get is a quick start, but will not get the technique and years of trial and error you and I have gone through. And maybe when the newbie exhausts his talents, he will come to you to bail him out.

I only see positive things comming from this. I am quite excited by the serial port technology. If apple came out with this model, they may call it the IWELDER.
                            I have several concerns on this topic. Not the least of which is parts BREAKING and people becoming DEAD or seriously injured because they didn't have enough knowledge to spot some moron with a little vocabulary and a fancy new machine that will provide him just enough help to cob someone's trailer hitch draw bar together as they head down the road and kill someone's family when it breaks. It's not the seasoned contractor that's going to get hurt in these situations because most of them will have someone overseeing a project that will put a stop to junk before it happens that's why we have to test onto a new job site as everyone knows. It's the person shopping Craigs List for something that's going to get hurt because these manufactures are getting so greedy that they figure the simpler they make the units to use the more they will sell WITHOUT ANY RESPECT for the years of work we have all put into becoming professionals at this craft. If the hobby guys stay with their hobbies it's all good but they don't. Perhaps I have just seen this type thing too many times in my business. You hire a guy and show him 1/20th what he needs to know and next week he's opening up a shop claiming to be a professional at a craft that he hasn't been doing 6 months!

Comment

Originally posted by go2building View Post
                              Where is the new Dynasty 280DX and what is the price? I have the 200DX, I need more power. Do I just get the 350 or wait and see the price on the 280? It's March, where is it?
                              Kevin
                              Kevin, I would get pricing on the 350 now. You will have all the features of the 200 plus some. Best thing about the 350 is the power increase and 9 setting memories.

I sent you a PM.

Terry

I just got the Dynasty 350 and what a welder it is. I just ran a few Passes on some 1/2" aluminum using the adjustable EP/EN and words can't describe my amazement.
                              Thanks for the advice Terry.
                              Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by go2building View Post
                                I just got the Dynasty 350 and what a welder it is. I just ran a few Passes on some 1/2" aluminum using the adjustable EP/EN and words can't describe my amazement.
                                Thanks for the advice Terry.
                                Kevin
                                Glad you like it.

But actually I goofed. You have 18 programs. 9 for AC, 9 for DC.

Miller Dynasty700DX
                                Miller Dynasty200DX
                                ThermalArc 400 GTSW
                                MillerMatic350P
                                MKCobraMig260
                                Lincoln SP-170T
                                Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
                                Hypertherm 1250
                                Hypertherm 800