Syncrowave 300 won't work on continuous only start

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Syncrowave 300 won't work on continuous only start

I believe when welding alum the machine must be set on continuous not start?
    When I switch it over to continuous welder the makes a different sound and does not weld. Any ideas what might be the problem?
    Last edited by scranm; 02-28-2012, 06:57 AM.

You don't have to have continuous HF for aluminum but if you wanted a tighter bead make sure you have your HF intensity turned up.

Comment

Dip,

Kinda hard to make two untrue statements in one post, but you did pull it off.

On the Syncrowaves (transformer based machines), you DO have to have continuous HF to weld aluminum in AC. Without the HF on the arc would stumble or extinguish as it goes thru the 0 state.

Adjusting the HF has NOTHING to do with a tighter arc. Increasing the HF intensity will help with arc starts, but setting the HF intensity too high can cause problems with adjacent electronic equipment.

Might want to do a little more homework before putting out bad info.
      Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
      Dynasty 200 DX
      Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
      Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
      Hobart HH187
      Dialarc 250 AC/DC
      Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
      Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
      PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
      Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
      Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
      More grinders than hands

Comment

Originally posted by SundownIII View Post
        Dip,

On the Syncrowaves (transformer based machines), you DO have to have continuous HF to weld aluminum in AC. Without the HF on the arc would stumble or extinguish as it goes thru the 0 state.

Adjusting the HF has NOTHING to do with a tighter arc. Increasing the HF intensity will help with arc starts, but setting the HF intensity too high can cause problems with adjacent electronic equipment.

LOL

Here for your enjoyment...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqCCp...eature=related

Comment

Dip

your starting to look foolish lol

you should read the tig handbook it explains what sundown is trying teach you.
          I have a home depot welding book that ,like you has it wrong.
          Harris welding torch
          Harris Cutting torch propane
          Syncrowave 200
          Mastercraft 4.5 grinder
          20 ton press
          Milwaukee 14" Dry Cut Machine
          Miller Digital Elite (Luckys Speed Shop)
          3/4" Welding Table

Comment

Originally posted by scranm View Post
            I believe when welding alum the machine must be set on continuous not start?
            When I switch it over to continuous welder the makes a different sound and does not weld. Any ideas what might be the problem?

When you put it on continuous HF have you tried adjusting the frequency intensity ?

Comment

Dip,

100 percent on the money

Comment

Originally posted by go2building View Post
                When you put it on continuous HF have you tried adjusting the frequency intensity ?
                No,but I'll try tomorrow.
                Last edited by scranm; 02-29-2012, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Go2 is not talking about the balance control. He's talking about the High Frequency intensity control. As well as I remember about the 300 (as well as earlier versions of the Sync 250) there is a separate control, in the area of the points where you adjust the "intensity" of the HF.

Sounds like someone could benefit from a thorough reading of the owners manual for this machine.

Oh, and Dip, it's one thing to screw up. It's another whole issue to argue about it when you're flat out wrong. For all I know, you're getting your "internet gospel" from someone who's just as misinformed about tig welding as you are. That's why it's probably better to get your information from "established sources" like Miller, Lincoln, ESAB, etc than it is to "I saw it on U-Tube".
                  Dynasty 200 DX
                  Hobart HH187
                  Dialarc 250 AC/DC
                  Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
                  Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
                  More grinders than hands

Comment

[QUOTE=SundownIII;281633]Go2 is not talking about the balance control. He's talking about the High Frequency intensity control. As well as I remember about the 300 (as well as earlier versions of the Sync 250) there is a separate control, in the area of the points where you adjust the "intensity" of the HF.

Sounds like someone could benefit from a thorough reading of the owners manual for this machine.

I believe when the lights dim in my shop because I switch continuous there is than more operator error to consider.

Comment

Scranm,

Nice "edit" on the post (where you wanted to adjust the balance to change the HF intensity) so that it wouldn't be so apparent that you haven't done the research on your machine.

The "dimming lights" is a brand new revelation. That would lead me to believe that you have a short in the high frequency portion of the machine. Have you tried adjusting the points?
                      Dynasty 200 DX
                      Hobart HH187
                      Dialarc 250 AC/DC
                      Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
                      Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
                      More grinders than hands

Comment

Dip,

****, I thought that you were more knowledgeable than this and had a better reading comprehension skills. Instead of getting in a pissing contest with you I will submit information from this web sight that demonstrates your own ignorance about AC wave forms and HF uses.

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...Book_Chpt2.pdf

Comment

Dip,

Reading comprehension?

Maybe you'd be so kind as to point out EXACTLY what was said in that link that countered ANYTHING that I said.

Rather, I find, that the article simply restated exactly what I originally pointed out.

While you say you don't want to "start a pissing match", that's exactly what you're doing.

A wise old man once told me, "You don't bring a knife to a gunfight".
                          Dynasty 200 DX
                          Hobart HH187
                          Dialarc 250 AC/DC
                          Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
                          Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
                          More grinders than hands

Comment

Originally posted by Dipsomaniac View Post
                            You don't have to have continuous HF for aluminum but if you wanted a tighter bead make sure you have your HF intensity turned up.
                            Changing the intensity will not change the frequency.

With a transformer welder, the high frequency must be set to continuous. The frequency is not adjustable.

The video is about adjustable frequency and the effects on the arc, which applies to inverters.

-Ian
                            :~ATTITUDE MAKES THE DIFFERENCE!!!:

Comment

Your hf switch is probably open through the continuous position. I f it works in start, the only difference is the switch. try jumpering wire 19 to wire 21 on the switch (with power off). if the hf works then replace the hf switch.

Comment

Working...
                              X