Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Miller 211 & series 100 Spool gun what a POS!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why would he run .30 if hes maxed on wire speed with .035?! Almost sounds like likeu have the wrong rollers in the gun....
    Originally posted by Sberry View Post
    Running 030 in this will help some, aluminum can be fussy. Gun angle and stick out are critical, it can be easy to forget little things that are more forgiving with steel. I play with the speed small adjustments. For you guys having problems,,, yes,, something wrong for sure, this machine should weld the same on 240 as 120 with more top end. I will see if I can look up a couple pics.

Comment

This may sound off the wall.... but .... try another work clamp/lead...

the work clamps supplied with those machines are marginal at best.... you may not be getting a good ground... they will give you trouble sooner or later... maybe sooner this time??
      One of first things that I do when I get a new machine is to replace the cheezy factory supplied work/ground clamp with a good quality bronze clamp, along with a heavier and longer lead....

may sound nutty... but I have seen similar stuff time after time....

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
      Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
      Dynasty 200DX
      Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
      Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Originally posted by H80N View Post
        This may sound off the wall.... but .... try another work clamp/lead...

the work clamps supplied with those machines are marginal at best.... you may not be getting a good ground... they will give you trouble sooner or later... maybe sooner this time??
        One of first things that I do when I get a new machine is to replace the cheezy factory supplied work/ground clamp with a good quality bronze clamp, along with a heavier and longer lead....

may sound nutty... but I have seen similar stuff time after time....
        Good point, and NOT nutty at all, I did the same thing on my 350P & 350Lx the day I got them! replaced the cable and clamps with the tweco 400 amp Bronze clamps.

I was thinking the same thing yesterday morning with this little 211, so I grabbed the factory ground clamp and cable that came off the 350P, but the cable is too large to go through the front of the machine without drilling a bigger hole and I don't really want to do that because I may just send the whole mess back to them.

However just for the heck of it, I'll open the side door and hook it up through there just to verify and if it works, I'll open up the hole in the front.

From the response's I have gotten on this issue, I must be only the second person in the US that has this combo, because only one has stepped up and says theirs works perfect or has the same problems.

If I was a hobbyist that would be one thing, but this is how I make my living and darn its frustrating to spend that much money and get this type of qualitiy. At least my 350LX works like it should!

Danno
        Miller 350 LX Tigrunner
        Miller 350P w/XR-Pro
        Miller 250MP w/30A spool
        Miller 211 Autoset
        Hobart Tigwave 250
        Hobart Beta-Mig 251

Comment

Originally posted by turbo38t View Post
          Why would he run .30 if hes maxed on wire speed with .035?! Almost sounds like likeu have the wrong rollers in the gun....
          Exactly!

Thats why I said "against my best jugment" If I am tapped out with .035 how is .030 going to help. But they are the manufacture and I will try what they want before returning it.

It's like the feed motor won't push the wire fast enough or is way out of sync with the speed control.

Am I missing a switch or tap setting I just don't see? Airgas tells me its just plug and go and all should be fine.

I will call Miller in the AM, I now have a contact thanks to the Mod here on the boards.
          Miller 350 LX Tigrunner
          Miller 350P w/XR-Pro
          Miller 250MP w/30A spool
          Miller 211 Autoset
          Hobart Tigwave 250
          Hobart Beta-Mig 251

Comment

Just a heads up on my 350P, Airgas called today and so far the Miller repair station says "Yes" the feed assy. is defective and is sending a new one out next day air, but they believe there still may be something else going on but it hasn't raised its ugly head yet.
            Miller 350 LX Tigrunner
            Miller 350P w/XR-Pro
            Miller 250MP w/30A spool
            Miller 211 Autoset
            Hobart Tigwave 250
            Hobart Beta-Mig 251

Comment

Hope they get that MM350P sorted out for you.... mine is about 5 years old now and has behaved the whole time.... the MM350P w/25ft Alumapro has been a wonderful setp for my purposes... sorry to hear you are having probs.....

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
              Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
              Dynasty 200DX
              Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
              Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Danno i dont want to hi jack this but a pic says a thousand words right. This probably looks similar to your stuff..

I welded the 2 110v passes first so the plate was hot for the 220v pass but didnt seem to stick

All the beads on the left are run on 110v. The ones on the right are 220v

Comment

ewwwwwww!!!! No one's perfect but Miller equipment is pretty ****ed good. Hopefully it's a little user error but lemons do come from all trees at times...
                  Originally posted by rockscout View Post
                  Danno i dont want to hi jack this but a pic says a thousand words right. This probably looks similar to your stuff..

I welded the 2 110v passes first so the plate was hot for the 220v pass but didnt seem to stick

All the beads on the left are run on 110v. The ones on the right are 220v

Comment

Looks like too much wire, not enough volts on the 110 settings....
                    Originally posted by turbo38t View Post
                    ewwwwwww!!!! No one's perfect but Miller equipment is pretty ****ed good. Hopefully it's a little user error but lemons do come from all trees at times...

Comment

Update:
                      Well now I know why I buy American, I get a call from Airgas yesterday afternoon and the factory Miller Tech wants me to call him about my 350P. So I called him today, David is his name and man was he a big help and a stand up guy and knows these machines.

He agrees the feed system needs to be replace and believes that the circuit boards should be replaced and the software updated. He said he is going to next day air the parts to the repair facility immediately! Now that's service, THANK YOU MILLER!

Now with the 211 and spool gun, David says the 211 and gun were ever designed for 5356 ONLY 4043 because of the amperage, he states we would need 220-230 amps to make that wire spray and obviously were not going to get that from the 211 and furthermore the gun is only rated for 160 amps and a 30% DC.

I will accept that.

Then This afternoon I get a call from Ben the Miller Production manager and wanted to know what they could do to make this all right! I said so far they are in my book, I just need my 350P back ASAP, and I have no doubt they will make it happen. He also said about the 211, that their 2012 catalog now says 4043 only.

Miller Electric thank you! Lets see some Chinese company step up like this!

Oh you know what would make this better a 8'-10' Miller Banner for the shop and two 2' long Miller stickers for are shop trailer...

Danno
                      Miller 350 LX Tigrunner
                      Miller 350P w/XR-Pro
                      Miller 250MP w/30A spool
                      Miller 211 Autoset
                      Hobart Tigwave 250
                      Hobart Beta-Mig 251

Comment

eighttrayjourneyman

Originally posted by Danno View Post
                        Sorry for the title but I am so frustrated with Miller right now!

A little back ground of myself and my equipment.

I have been in the fab business now 36 years, ran just about ever machine made, stick, mig and tig. This year I got a very nice contract to build some components for our military and decided it was time to upgrade all of my welders and plasma cutter.

I went to my local Airgas and bought the following:

1) Miller 350P Mig with a XR pro and Mig gun
                        2) Miller 350 LX Tig
                        3) Miller 211 with series 100 spool gun
                        4) Miller 875 Plasma

Needless to say it was a chunk of change, but I am fine with that.

Now then, I have fought the 350P now as long as I can and it was returned to Airgas for repair, one day it runs as bad-ass as it gets and perfect as its advertised, the next day its a PITA, thats another story.

However the Miller Rep. did come out, did not have a clue what he was looking at and didn't even bring a hood with him! But was sure trying to sell me a new Miller welding jacket!

Its all good thought, I have a Brand new 211 that works like a dream on steel, so I will hook up the spool-gun that I have never taken out of the box and use it while my 350P is in the shop.

I am working on an aluminum project that is all 5086 tube and sheet. the tube 1/4" and the sheet 1/8", I take the spool gun out of the box, hook it up, try a test coupon, 1/8" sheet to 1/8" sheet in a flat fillet position, look at their little chart inside the door for a starting point, which is 5.5V/65w, **** near blew the tip off.

All is good though, its just a starting point... So after a little adjusting I have ended up with 5.5V/100w, AND THATS ON 1/8"material!!!

There is no way in **** MY machine could weld anything thicker.

I tried to weld a piece of 1/8" to the 1/4" tube, it just balled right up... It has more voltage but I'm tapped out on wire speed.

Here is what where I'm at with wire and gas:

100% pure Argon
                        DCEP
                        Gas is 22 CFH
                        .035 5356

I'm **** near ready to have my local Miller dealer come pick all this crap up and refund my money!

OK, so Rant over!

Those of you that have this combination were are you running at for this given material thickness?

Danno,
                        Unique Metalcraft Inc.
                        Sorry to hear of your problems, I will let you know what I have been doing. On my Miller 211, of course you already know aluminum is straight argon or some mix of helium for more heat transfer if you like and can get it, but you dont need it. I am welding 3/16s Aluminum with no problem. Turn wire speed up all the way to 100 and your heat up to 3/8 metal, this throws the wire into a spray mode of sorts and if you hold nozzle about an inch away from the parent metal it goes on well with a little side oscilation. Not bad for such a small machine. Give it a try, its really hot at that setting so experiment with distance from metal with your nozzle. I have been a boilermaker for 40 years Retired. It works well for me. Let me know hope this helps

Comment

eighttrayjourneyman

Originally posted by Danno View Post
                          Sorry for the title but I am so frustrated with Miller right now!

A little back ground of myself and my equipment.

I have been in the fab business now 36 years, ran just about ever machine made, stick, mig and tig. This year I got a very nice contract to build some components for our military and decided it was time to upgrade all of my welders and plasma cutter.

I went to my local Airgas and bought the following:

1) Miller 350P Mig with a XR pro and Mig gun
                          2) Miller 350 LX Tig
                          3) Miller 211 with series 100 spool gun
                          4) Miller 875 Plasma

Needless to say it was a chunk of change, but I am fine with that.

Now then, I have fought the 350P now as long as I can and it was returned to Airgas for repair, one day it runs as bad-ass as it gets and perfect as its advertised, the next day its a PITA, thats another story.

However the Miller Rep. did come out, did not have a clue what he was looking at and didn't even bring a hood with him! But was sure trying to sell me a new Miller welding jacket!

Its all good thought, I have a Brand new 211 that works like a dream on steel, so I will hook up the spool-gun that I have never taken out of the box and use it while my 350P is in the shop.

I am working on an aluminum project that is all 5086 tube and sheet. the tube 1/4" and the sheet 1/8", I take the spool gun out of the box, hook it up, try a test coupon, 1/8" sheet to 1/8" sheet in a flat fillet position, look at their little chart inside the door for a starting point, which is 5.5V/65w, **** near blew the tip off.

All is good though, its just a starting point... So after a little adjusting I have ended up with 5.5V/100w, AND THATS ON 1/8"material!!!

There is no way in **** MY machine could weld anything thicker.

I tried to weld a piece of 1/8" to the 1/4" tube, it just balled right up... It has more voltage but I'm tapped out on wire speed.

Here is what where I'm at with wire and gas:

100% pure Argon
                          DCEP
                          Gas is 22 CFH
                          .035 5356

I'm **** near ready to have my local Miller dealer come pick all this crap up and refund my money!

OK, so Rant over!

Those of you that have this combination were are you running at for this given material thickness?

Danno,
                          Unique Metalcraft Inc.
                          Use 220 volt set up for sure and I have had good luck with the 4043 wire in 0.30

Comment

eighttrayjourneyman

Hey Danno
                            I can sympathize with your problems. I have an answer that works well for me I will give you all the parameters that work with my 211. Of course run on 240/220 volts using straight argon 030 wire 4043. wire speed all the way up to 90 or 100 depending on your taste. Use the setting of 3/8s metal that throws the little 211 into a spray mode of sorts hold nozzle about 1inch away from parent metal to keep from frying tips and it does fine on 3/16s aluminum for me. I hope this helps, I am a retired boilermaker of 40 years, I fought it for a little bit but this works well for me hope it will for you .

Comment

Originally posted by eighttrayjourneyman View Post
                              Hey Danno
                              I can sympathize with your problems. I have an answer that works well for me I will give you all the parameters that work with my 211. Of course run on 240/220 volts using straight argon 030 wire 4043. wire speed all the way up to 90 or 100 depending on your taste. Use the setting of 3/8s metal that throws the little 211 into a spray mode of sorts hold nozzle about 1inch away from parent metal to keep from frying tips and it does fine on 3/16s aluminum for me. I hope this helps, I am a retired boilermaker of 40 years, I fought it for a little bit but this works well for me hope it will for you .
                              Are you using the spool gun or just running the 4043 inside the 211?
                              Lincoln Vantage 400
                              Trailblazer® 302 Air Pak™

Miller Dynasty® 350
                              Millermatic 350P Aluminum
                              Millermatic® 252
                              Syncrowave 351
                              Lincoln LN-25 Pro

Multimatic™ 200

XR-Aluma Pro Gun
                              Diversion™ 180

Spectrum® 625 X-TREME™

Thermal Dynamics® Cutmaster® 52
                              Victor Oxy/Acetylene Set

Comment

Originally posted by kvwall View Post
                                Are you using the spool gun or just running the 4043 inside the 211?
                                I was using 5356 in the spool gun, but if you look at my upate Miller says the machine was never intended to run 5356, 4043 only.

However I never did get the 8'-10' Miller Banner for the shop and two 2' long Miller stickers for are shop trailer...

Danno
                                Miller 350 LX Tigrunner
                                Miller 350P w/XR-Pro
                                Miller 250MP w/30A spool
                                Miller 211 Autoset
                                Hobart Tigwave 250
                                Hobart Beta-Mig 251

Comment

Working...
                                X