Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.


  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dynasty 200-DX hand control issue

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Dynasty 200-DX hand control issue

    I recently bought a Dynasty 200-DX TIG welder with a thumb control. I find the control useless because it is impossible to rotated the dial to the off position while wearing welding gloves. The dial has a bit of protection in the form of a lip that prevents accidental (and purposeful) rotation of the rather small dial. I would much prefer a simple on/off button and let programmed current ramp-up and ranp-down features work with post-flow gas settings. As it is now, I have to withdraw the torch to extinguish the arc, thus defeating all post-flow settings. Is there a way around this? I see nothing about a pushbutton option on the Miller website. Are there any 3rd party products that will control the Dynasty welder?

    Randall

  • #2
    I have been using the ls17 torch with hand control on my Dynasty 200DX for a few years now with no problems...... what type of gloves are you wearing??? I wear thin leather TIG gloves.... if you wear heavy stick welding gloves... you will have more problems than just the hand control... I cannot TIG well wearing the fat fingered ones... I just don't have the feel or sensitivity that I need to do a good job in manipulating the torch and filler with any precision......

    The LS17 has the pushbutton as well allowing 2T and 4T operation.... which control do you have??
    Last edited by H80N; 01-30-2012, 10:46 AM. Reason: addl info..

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by RC_Allen View Post
      I recently bought a Dynasty 200-DX TIG welder with a thumb control. I find the control useless because it is impossible to rotated the dial to the off position while wearing welding gloves. The dial has a bit of protection in the form of a lip that prevents accidental (and purposeful) rotation of the rather small dial. I would much prefer a simple on/off button and let programmed current ramp-up and ranp-down features work with post-flow gas settings. As it is now, I have to withdraw the torch to extinguish the arc, thus defeating all post-flow settings. Is there a way around this? I see nothing about a pushbutton option on the Miller website. Are there any 3rd party products that will control the Dynasty welder?

      Randall
      Look at this:

      http://www.millerwelds.com/pdf/spec_sheets/AY14-0.pdf

      -Ian

      Comment


      • #4
        I buy these. http://www.arc-zone.com/index.php?ma...oducts_id=4901 And just wrap them onto the torch with electrical tape (loosely over the switch). Works great. I also have the cs-310 torch with the built in switch.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by H80N View Post
          I have been using the ls17 torch with hand control on my Dynasty 200DX for a few years now with no problems............

          The LS17 has the pushbutton as well allowing 2T and 4T operation.... which control do you have??
          Well, you triggered the correct direction of my investigation. Turns out the unit was supplied with a WP-17 and the kludged fingertip controller that doesn't have a pushbutton arc controller. It is a very bad choice for a default torch with this particular welder since the welder would really shine with remote arc control that takes advantage of its features. It was a classic newbie mistake. I hate it when lessons cost money. I count on equipment suppliers to know more about their products than I do at first and to market equipment suitable for its intended use. I don't know how much the supplier lowered the price with that torch choice just to have a better sticker price, but it isn't appreciated.

          Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. They helped.

          Randall

          Comment


          • #6
            RC_Allen,

            Did you really expect Miller (or any manufacturer) to "spoon feed" you on what you needed prior to buying a welder?

            Most people do their "homework" before making a purchase. If memory serves me correct, Miller does offer an option of a foot pedal in a package deal.

            There have been many posts on the benefits of hand/finger tip controls vs the pedal. Neither is "the best" for all applications. Personally, I have a fingertip control, a simple on/off button, and a foot control, and use them all in certain applications.

            If you're looking for someone to "blame", then you need to look no further than the mirror in the bathroom.

            Comment


            • #7
              Hey Randall,

              give these 2 places a call

              http://www.brweldingsupplies.com/sho...cytigtorch.cfm

              http://www.arc-zone.com/index.php?ma...727_20_809_810

              I've ordered from both and they provide great customer service over the Phone, if needed.

              Looks like BR packages the Dynasty with that Torch

              http://www.brweldingsupplies.com/sho...echnology-.cfm

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by RC_Allen View Post
                I recently bought a Dynasty 200-DX TIG welder with a thumb control. I find the control useless because it is impossible to rotated the dial to the off position while wearing welding gloves. The dial has a bit of protection in the form of a lip that prevents accidental (and purposeful) rotation of the rather small dial. I would much prefer a simple on/off button and let programmed current ramp-up and ranp-down features work with post-flow gas settings. As it is now, I have to withdraw the torch to extinguish the arc, thus defeating all post-flow settings. Is there a way around this? I see nothing about a pushbutton option on the Miller website. Are there any 3rd party products that will control the Dynasty welder?

                Randall
                Hi Randall.

                I have had that same exact problem in the past. The small rotary dial just is too dainty for my fingers.

                I chose the standard aircooled WP17 torch, but bought direct from CKworldwide their rotary belt arc start/amp finger controller. It velcros onto your handle, and comes with left or right hand covers. The potentiometer is rated for 1000 arc starts, and can be bought as a replacement when needed. When I am using the foot control, I strip the finger controler away or just work with it velcroed. This is the only one that works for me as I am getting older and stiffer in the fingers.

                http://www.ckworldwide.com/amperage_controls.htm


                Attached Files
                Last edited by shovelon; 01-31-2012, 10:18 AM. Reason: old

                Comment


                • #9
                  That LS-17 takes a little bit of getting used to but once you get used to it... it is very slick... especially in tight and awkward places...

                  the manual for it STILL does not appear to be online yet..... I have sent them numerous emails over the last couple of years....

                  but

                  here is the document number for it...

                  OM-235 816A/multi 2007-12

                  maybe they can email it to you... if you can wake anybody over there... they build great product but their people are not terribly responsive.....
                  it is an ITW company... so the lack of enthusiasm is surprising...
                  sent them another email about it today....

                  here is the contact link

                  http://www.weldcraft.com/contact-us/


                  ADDITIONALLY: I had been hoping that they would introduce an "LS-20" water cooled version of it.... they would sell a million of them.... but so far my inquiries on that whole line has met deaf ears....
                  would not take a brain surgeon to flip the parts around at the factory.... but so far no interest..............

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    SundownIII's tirade is underlined:

                    Did you really expect Miller (or any manufacturer) to "spoon feed" you on what you needed prior to buying a welder?

                    No, but I wouldn't expect to buy a car unseen and discover you steer it with a joy stick after reading the manufacturer supplies a "road-hugging steering system". If you consider a detailed explanation with pictures or detailed specs "spoon feeding", you are sadly mistaken. I don't expect them to state in their specs that the controller is low-cost junk. I do think their interests are better served if they supplied a Weldcraft LS-1725R and add the incremental cost to the price. It would be an impressive combination compared to their competition in the form of Chinese units that do come with a pushbutton.

                    Most people do their "homework" before making a purchase. If memory
                    serves me correct, Miller does offer an option of a foot pedal in a
                    package deal.

                    SundownIII's memory serves him well, though his reasoning took the wrong fork in the road. Folks evaluate and solve problems based on their knowledge and experience, combined with imagination and reasoning skills. Those able to focus on the problem's inherent characteristics usually do a better job developing a solution than those whose thinking drifts toward previous solutions for other problems. SundownIII's reasoning efforts would be better served by dealing with the original issue rather than embarassing himself by changing the problem to fit the only solution he knows. I could be missing both feet (fortunately not the case) or be planning to weld from a short step ladder (the case). I'll get a foot controller when and if the need arises - not because a stranger thinks I should have bought one. Regarding "homework", Miller does not provide details of the fingertip controller where they offer sales information intended to attract customers. NOWHERE do they say there is no pushbutton for arc on/off, yet they offer such pushbuttons separately. My beef is that the Dynasty 200 DX welder is a top-end welder in terms of cost and features. It deserves a decent torch with appropriate arc controls to support the features of the welder.

                    There have been many posts on the benefits of hand/finger tip controls
                    vs the pedal. Neither is "the best" for all applications. Personally, I
                    have a fingertip control, a simple on/off button, and a foot control,
                    and use them all in certain applications.

                    He has a pushbutton? That's what I wanted! It makes one wonder why the sarcastic remark about foot controllers and personal attacks. Then again, declaring familiarity with both might be intended to add credibility to the solution suggested. It didn't work for me.

                    If you're looking for someone to "blame", then you need to look no further than the mirror in the bathroom.

                    SundownIII incorrectly thinks I am looking for someone to blame for me being unaware Miller supplies an inferior fingertip controller (no button) with an otherwise excellent welder. Had he understood my post, I asked for suggestions regarding workarounds and opined that the controller supplied is useless under a gloved hand. My intent was to warn anyone considering this welder with a finger control to plan on replacing the standard controller with another available from miller or a 3rd party.

                    SundownIII, take a pill. There is no need to be annoying if you read a criticism of a piece of equipment and have nothing to offer in the way of a solution. Just move on to the next post. Tirades against newcomers isn't what the forum is for, and it doesn't advance your role as a go-to guy when advice is needed. Perhaps you were out of character in this case, but on the day one throws rocks in the glass house, he defines the destiny of the glass house for the days following.

                    Many thanks to folks who offered technical solutions rather than suggestions involving mirrors. I bought an LS-1725R yesterday and it solved the problem. Its fingertip controller is designed with welding gloves in mind. I'll buy the switch recommended and retrofit the original torch so I'll have a spare.


                    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge.
                    -- Mark Twain

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      RC
                      in todays economy .....EVERYBODY is more than a little bit testy and more than a few of us can be hair trigger at times..... do not take the banter here personally.... this place is not polished or PC, but usually as a somewhat disharmonious group we manage to resolve most technical issues....

                      are we getting close to resolving your need for a different control than the one you got?.... if so great... if not... help us out with more detail and direction...
                      Hang in there.... and
                      Welcome aboard!!!............

                      BTW...I am still totally in the dark as to what hand control you ended up with as to model or make.... could you post a pic? or give us a model number....??
                      Last edited by H80N; 02-01-2012, 08:11 AM. Reason: addl info..

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by RC_Allen View Post
                        SundownIII's tirade is underlined:

                        Did you really expect Miller (or any manufacturer) to "spoon feed" you on what you needed prior to buying a welder?

                        No, but I wouldn't expect to buy a car unseen and discover you steer it with a joy stick after reading the manufacturer supplies a "road-hugging steering system". If you consider a detailed explanation with pictures or detailed specs "spoon feeding", you are sadly mistaken. I don't expect them to state in their specs that the controller is low-cost junk. I do think their interests are better served if they supplied a Weldcraft LS-1725R and add the incremental cost to the price. It would be an impressive combination compared to their competition in the form of Chinese units that do come with a pushbutton.

                        Most people do their "homework" before making a purchase. If memory
                        serves me correct, Miller does offer an option of a foot pedal in a
                        package deal.

                        SundownIII's memory serves him well, though his reasoning took the wrong fork in the road. Folks evaluate and solve problems based on their knowledge and experience, combined with imagination and reasoning skills. Those able to focus on the problem's inherent characteristics usually do a better job developing a solution than those whose thinking drifts toward previous solutions for other problems. SundownIII's reasoning efforts would be better served by dealing with the original issue rather than embarassing himself by changing the problem to fit the only solution he knows. I could be missing both feet (fortunately not the case) or be planning to weld from a short step ladder (the case). I'll get a foot controller when and if the need arises - not because a stranger thinks I should have bought one. Regarding "homework", Miller does not provide details of the fingertip controller where they offer sales information intended to attract customers. NOWHERE do they say there is no pushbutton for arc on/off, yet they offer such pushbuttons separately. My beef is that the Dynasty 200 DX welder is a top-end welder in terms of cost and features. It deserves a decent torch with appropriate arc controls to support the features of the welder.

                        There have been many posts on the benefits of hand/finger tip controls
                        vs the pedal. Neither is "the best" for all applications. Personally, I
                        have a fingertip control, a simple on/off button, and a foot control,
                        and use them all in certain applications.

                        He has a pushbutton? That's what I wanted! It makes one wonder why the sarcastic remark about foot controllers and personal attacks. Then again, declaring familiarity with both might be intended to add credibility to the solution suggested. It didn't work for me.

                        If you're looking for someone to "blame", then you need to look no further than the mirror in the bathroom.

                        SundownIII incorrectly thinks I am looking for someone to blame for me being unaware Miller supplies an inferior fingertip controller (no button) with an otherwise excellent welder. Had he understood my post, I asked for suggestions regarding workarounds and opined that the controller supplied is useless under a gloved hand. My intent was to warn anyone considering this welder with a finger control to plan on replacing the standard controller with another available from miller or a 3rd party.

                        SundownIII, take a pill. There is no need to be annoying if you read a criticism of a piece of equipment and have nothing to offer in the way of a solution. Just move on to the next post. Tirades against newcomers isn't what the forum is for, and it doesn't advance your role as a go-to guy when advice is needed. Perhaps you were out of character in this case, but on the day one throws rocks in the glass house, he defines the destiny of the glass house for the days following.

                        Many thanks to folks who offered technical solutions rather than suggestions involving mirrors. I bought an LS-1725R yesterday and it solved the problem. Its fingertip controller is designed with welding gloves in mind. I'll buy the switch recommended and retrofit the original torch so I'll have a spare.


                        -----------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge.
                        -- Mark Twain
                        I have tried to stay out of this, till now.

                        You keep taking cheap shots at Miller about their "inferior fingertip controller".
                        There is nothing wrong with their fingertip controller.

                        It is the lack of skill or dexterity of the operator.

                        Griff

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Weldcraft

                          Originally posted by H80N View Post
                          That LS-17 takes a little bit of getting used to but once you get used to it... it is very slick... especially in tight and awkward places...

                          the manual for it STILL does not appear to be online yet..... I have sent them numerous emails over the last couple of years....

                          but

                          here is the document number for it...

                          OM-235 816A/multi 2007-12

                          maybe they can email it to you... if you can wake anybody over there... they build great product but their people are not terribly responsive.....
                          it is an ITW company... so the lack of enthusiasm is surprising...
                          sent them another email about it today....

                          here is the contact link

                          http://www.weldcraft.com/contact-us/


                          ADDITIONALLY: I had been hoping that they would introduce an "LS-20" water cooled version of it.... they would sell a million of them.... but so far my inquiries on that whole line has met deaf ears....
                          would not take a brain surgeon to flip the parts around at the factory.... but so far no interest..............
                          We've shared this thread with our associates at Weldcraft who are sorry to hear about your frustration. Please let us know any torch related questions you may have and we'll get a product expert from Weldcraft to answer them for you ASAP

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Miller Welders View Post
                            We've shared this thread with our associates at Weldcraft who are sorry to hear about your frustration. Please let us know any torch related questions you may have and we'll get a product expert from Weldcraft to answer them for you ASAP
                            I did send an inquiry to Weldcraft yesterday about LS-17 literature being available.... and got a rather strange response... rather myopic at best to exclude a popular torch line from internet exposure... kinda like GM excluding Buicks because they have "dedicated".. their site to Chevrolet... hope somebody from Weldcraft could explain this rather strange response by their customer service dept.... do they not want to sell them?? here is their email...

                            Thank you for your inquiry with Weldcraft.

                            We do not have immediate plans to include our Legacy Series TIG Torches on www.weldcraft.com . We have committed www.weldcraft.com to our Weldcraft "WP" Series and Crafter Series TIG torches and accessories. Our Weldcraft products are well known in the welding industry around the world for performance, quality and are manufactured in Appleton WI. We hope you can understand our position to focus on our Weldcraft brand of TIG Torches and Accessories as our primary offering for TIG products.

                            We receive occasional inquiries for LS17 literature, and fulfill each inquiry upon request received with either the Owner's Manual you have referenced or the attached spec sheet. We apologize for any difficulties that this may cause in locating the LS series information.

                            Please let us know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

                            Best Regards


                            Weldcraft Customer Service

                            Weldcraft an ITW Company
                            2741 N. Roemer Road
                            Appleton, WI 54911
                            920.882.6800 Tel
                            920.882.6840 Fax
                            www.weldcraft.com

                            Monday - Friday 7:00am CST - 5:00pm CST
                            Last edited by H80N; 02-01-2012, 10:11 AM. Reason: spelling.../clarity

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I too have the rotary hand control and have zero issues. With an air-cooled torch, the stiffness in the leads helps stabilize the torch position although you should have positioned for comfort and stability BEFORE striking the arc.

                              I'm using thin TIG specific gloves, if any at all because much of the welding I do is under 50 amperes and very short.

                              Get new gloves. Tillman is good, if you don't mind Chicom labor. There are other brands. Even mechanics gloves offer a fair amount of protection if you have learned that metal gets hot when welding. Besides, the epidermis of the hands is rather thick, that of your inside forearms isn't so wear sleeves. The epidermis will "burn" but it is dead and constantly being sloughed off. That arc "burn" smell will come off with Lava soap.

                              I don't advocate welding above 50 amps GTAW without gloves or for any significant duration (over 5 minutes). But you can learn how to manipulate the torch-mounted contactor/current control easier without gloves. After some use, the off position detent "loosens up".

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.