Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Syncrowave 180 SD Problem Thread! No Amperage Control!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Syncrowave 180 SD Problem Thread! No Amperage Control!

Well I was just going to buy a new Diversion 180 but I found a good deal on this syncrowave 180 sd and decided to buy it even with the known problems of the boards going out. This one with only 16 hours on it and is a 04 model looks to have the common board failure.

I come home with it after testing fine before I bought it and wired a new plug at the end since the previous owner had it hard wired. So I turn the machine on today and turn it to DCEN, put a new tungsten in freshly ground, and start to weld 1/8 mild steel plate. Im set at 120 on the amperage and start to weld. NOPE. All I get it HF start and thats it no amperage control. Machine says 120 still with moving the pedal to all of the way either direction. I switch to my finger control and same results. Also I heard the HF kinda cutting in and out in the machine so I pull the side cover off and look and it is kinda sputtering during HF start. Also Voltage says 14.7 when hf comes on and does not move with pedal. Not sure what is going on here but sounds like a bad board. And I checked the gaps and they were good. Inside of the machine is very clean and no noticable problems.

Any ideas on what to check or test?
    Last edited by 417Diver; 01-27-2012, 04:00 PM.

• idahoguy
    replied
    Wow! I went to this thread to decide if I should keep my 180SD or trade up and it sounded like the cheerleader's locker room after a bad game! Now I can't say I've been in the cheerleaders locker room, but I'm guessing......

Leave a comment:

• 417Diver
    replied
    On page 2 I said thanks for giving me a solution to fix the problem which it should have ended there but it did not. It continued. And then I said we can close the thread since the problem was fixed and it continued.

After reading many threads from this site and others I found threads similar to my problem and they ended up being board replacements. Also I found many other problems other than the board. This made me believe that there were many problems with the syncrowave and I posted Another syncrowave problem thread because I would figure you guys would be tired of seeing a new thread about them. Anyways I was at fault for not tearing the torch apart before putting a new tungsten (like everyone else does) and missing a piece of pure tungsten in the tail. But like I said I tried to end it on page 2 but it did not and now we are on page 4 talking about everything other than the original problem.

Anyways im done (again) and problem fixed...

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    How about we all calm a little and just focus on the technical aspects???

I know that the economy and world disorder has just about everybody on hairstrigger edge.. ready to fight.... it it really worth getting wonky about any of this as long as the problem got resolved??

there have been quite a few posts disapearing lately... and with that the good info disapears as well as the discord... so we all lose...

how about it...??? a spirited exchange is good... but ???

we have been self policing and regulating for a very long time... but I guess that is no longer the case.....

Leave a comment:

• 417Diver
    replied
    I am glad you quoted a bunch of facts!

Did I get the torch assembled right? I guess? Maybe I should have pulled the entire torch apart when I put a new tungsten in just to make sure there were no broken pieces in the tail? Maybe?

I know I'm sorry I should not have said ALL Syncrowaves have problems..

Leave a comment:

• Helios
    replied
    Please tell us more about

Originally posted by 417Diver View Post
    decided to buy it even with the known problems of the boards going out.
    and

the common board failure.
    and

sounds like a bad board.
    and

16 hours on this machine and its so messed up I could only imagine what happens at 100 hours.
    and

the machine is inoperative. This seems to be very common for the syncrowaves
    and

I still have the right to be upset over the quality of these machines.
    and

I was reading about all of the issues with the syncrowaves
    We're all dyin' to learn from your extensive expertise!

Did you finally get the torch assembled right?
    Last edited by Helios; 02-02-2012, 08:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 417Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by H80N View Post
    Why you would take this stuff so personally is beyond me.... calm down... looked like normal problem solving to me... maybe with a touch of levity...
    You may not understand how tough it is to troubleshoot something in a remote location.... these guys were trying to help you...
    I am not taking it personally

Leave a comment:

• 417Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by cruizer View Post
    Well, that has zero to do with the output weld or HF, and pounding a ground rod is equally as pointless

As for the timers, 16 hrs of on time doesn't equate t0 2400 on/off cycles, unless the old operator pressed the pedal like a machine gun
    I will let you know if the ground rod stops the interference with the internet. As for the timer, I am just reading whats on the machine. I would assume that since it was a display model it was used to show customers and that would possibly get your the crazy time/cycles.

Leave a comment:

• cruizer
    replied
    Plus found the ground wire in the plug loose which I guess was causing the HF to cut in an out when on. Today installing a ground rod and grounding everything to prevent the internet from crashing.
    Well, that has zero to do with the output weld or HF, and pounding a ground rod is equally as pointless

As for the timers, 16 hrs of on time doesn't equate t0 2400 on/off cycles, unless the old operator pressed the pedal like a machine gun
    Last edited by cruizer; 02-02-2012, 09:59 AM.

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    I expected bastads to fire at the newbie but the not believing my cycle/timer count was almost annoying. Anyways I am glad its fixed now!
    Why you would take this stuff so personally is beyond me.... calm down... looked like normal problem solving to me... maybe with a touch of levity...
    You may not understand how tough it is to troubleshoot something in a remote location.... these guys were trying to help you...

Leave a comment:

• 417Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by big mike View Post
    Round electrons in a square(wave)machine?
    That dammed Blue paint you guys use!
    Operator error?

Seriously,if you take these posts(from guys trying to help you)so personally then you may want to take up knitting or stamp collecting.They may seem gruff but you won't find a better,more knowledgable bunch of weldors anywhere bar none.
    I expected bastads to fire at the newbie but the not believing my cycle/timer count was almost annoying. Anyways I am glad its fixed now!

Leave a comment:

• 417Diver
    replied
    Well I went out anyway and pulled the torch apart. I did find a broken piece of tungsten still inside the backcap which was pure tungsten. Anyways I still hate you Dipsomaniac but this did fix the problem. Not sure if it was the broken piece or something else. So I wish you would have said this the other day rather than not believing my timer/cycle count.

Way to put the newbie in his place.
    Plus found the ground wire in the plug loose which I guess was causing the HF to cut in an out when on. Today installing a ground rod and grounding everything to prevent the internet from crashing.

Leave a comment:

• big mike
    replied
    Originally posted by ASKANDY View Post
    You know people are going to want to know...
    What was the problem?

a-
    Round electrons in a square(wave)machine?
    That dammed Blue paint you guys use!
    Operator error?

Seriously,if you take these posts(from guys trying to help you)so personally then you may want to take up knitting or stamp collecting.They may seem gruff but you won't find a better,more knowledgable bunch of weldors anywhere bar none.

Leave a comment:

• ASKANDY
    replied
    You know people are going to want to know...
    What was the problem?

a-

Leave a comment:

• 417Diver
    replied
    All works fine now. Someone can close this thread now.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X