Cold Saw or Swivel Head Bandsaw

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SundownIII View Post
    You also need to consider that as the angle of cut increases, the capacity decreases.

In other words, a 5"x5" bandsaw may cut 4"x4" material at 90deg and not cut the same material at 45deg.

Not sure how many "cold cut" saws you've used, but the kerf on those I've used is very comparable to the kerf on a "dry cut" saw. In fact, seems to me the blades on a cold cut saw are normally a little thicker than on a dry cut saw.
    cold saws suffer the same fate on angle cuts regarding capacity, Different brands cut larger or smaller. After a fair amount of research, the Scotchman 350 (14") was the only brand that had the capacity to cut 4" square tubing on a 45

2.5mm and 3mm are usually the blade thickness on cold saws. 3 mm is stiffer and more accurate but cut speed is slower
    Miller 350P
    Miller Econotig
    Milwaukee Dry saw
    Evolution Dry saw (for sale)
    Scotchman 350 cold saw
    7x12 bandsaw
    1910 ATW 14 x 72 lathe
    fridge full of adult beverages
    Sirius radio

www.snpequipment.com
    callouses and burns a plentysigpic

Comment

I've pretty much decided I am going to by the grizzly g0613. It's the capacity that sold me. Heard nothing but good things about the saw. It is liquid cooled too. My biggest gripe is the size. Wall to front is 63" inches.
      2003 Dodge 3500 Cummins
      25' Hydraulic Tilt Lowboy Gooseneck
      1997 Corvette 6 Speed
      Harley Hardtail Bobber
      Millermatic 251 with 30A spoolgun
      Syncrowave 180SD
      Cut40 Plasma Cutter

Comment

If you do portable work...
        The Milwaukee portable bandsaw is pretty useful.... with a little practice you can make very accurate cuts..... if not now maybe in the future...
        Milwaukee Electric Tools 495-6236N 4 7-8 Inch Deep Cut Bandsaw

Click image for larger version

Name:	milwaukee.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	512385

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
        Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
        Dynasty 200DX
        Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
        Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Has anyone heard of Accura saw? I stumbled across this one. Never heard of the company and can't find any info on them, but the saw capacity is 1 3/4" on round stock and 1/4" better on 60* angles. It is also a variable speed blade. Few hundred more plus shipping. I'm still thinking the grizzly, especially since there is supposed to 10% coupon when my catalog does finally come, but this had caught my attention.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...S:1123#vi-desc
          2003 Dodge 3500 Cummins
          1997 Corvette 6 Speed
          Harley Hardtail Bobber
          Syncrowave 180SD
          Cut40 Plasma Cutter

Comment

To follow up on this thread I ended up buying the Grizzly G0613 Swivel Head Band Saw. Holy ****, I should have done this years ago. Best $1614.25 I have ever spent. It so quiet, so precise, can cut such amazing thicknesses with ease, and so clean. I thought the cut time would drive me nuts but I love it. It is a short cut time and I can just walk away from the machine and do other things while it cuts. It come from the factory 120v but can be switched out to 220v. It is very well made. Very solid at 460lbs. Wow is all I can say. I did have one problem with it so far. After 5 cuts, the coolant pump failed. Talked to tech support and they got me the a new one, $120 value, shipped to me the next day for free. I say the value because it is not a cheap little aquarium pump, much heavier duty. It is so heavy duty that it has its own capacitor. I am almost certain that is what failed on the original. I am going to order that capacitor off the internet and so I can have a spare pump, or liquid cool something else. The new pump works great. I have built some radius dies out of 1/2" steel for my sheet metal brake, a stand for my shrinker stretcher, and a folding welding table for my brother in law with it so far and am tickled pink. The dies for my brake were cut out of some old nast plate that was laying around that had been cut with torches a long time ago. I made 4 width cuts and then stacked all for pieces next to each other, so 4" tall and 2" solid thick and it cut though then like a hot knife through butter. The only thing that did bother me is that it didn't come with coolant. I get this cool new toy and have to wait until the next day to go buy some rustlick at Grainer. Also, I still need to build a conveyer table for it too.

2003 Dodge 3500 Cummins
            1997 Corvette 6 Speed
            Harley Hardtail Bobber
            Syncrowave 180SD
            Cut40 Plasma Cutter

Comment

2003 Dodge 3500 Cummins
              1997 Corvette 6 Speed
              Harley Hardtail Bobber
              Syncrowave 180SD
              Cut40 Plasma Cutter

Comment

I have been looking at upgrading to that saw.Was curious how you liked yours.Sounds great, i will be purchasing that same saw soon.
                BB402D
                TB300D
                DIMENSION652
                MM250X
                MAXSTAR140
                S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
                HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Comment

Band saw would be a better choice. It is a versatile machine as compared to a cold saw. You can maximize production cutting, too.

Comment

Cold Saw or Swivel Head Bandsaw

Most of those offshore bandsaws including grizzly, jet, clausing kalamazoo, harbour freight, craftex, and rpm are made by WayTrain. http://www.waytrain.com/
                    Last edited by Manisoba; 06-27-2012, 08:34 AM.

Comment

The cold saw is my first choice for 90% of my projects. It cuts dead accurate and strait enough that round parts don't require facing off in the lathe any longer and the dim are also held dead on and require no facing to make accurate. Band saws require a lot more attention to keep the blade from leading off. The cold saw has far more positives than negatives by comparison. The blade will make thousands of cuts before becoming dull and they can be resharpened for cheap. Bandsaw blades have to be replaced and as we all know they are delicate compared to a cold saw.. A good cold saw is very expensive compared to a bandsaw

Comment

Working...
                      X