Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

beginning welder

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• beginning welder

1 - what is a good welder to get around the home.The previous owner of the house has a 230 service already runnning.

2 - a friend lent me a 20 - 70 amp welder 110 volt. I am using 3/32 fleet e6011 rods. They tend to stick a lot. Is this due to low current or poor technique.

If you are using 110v AC, then you'll need AC rods. Sounds like buddy gave you DC rods?

Comment

He has AC rods but the machine he is using is just junk, I don't usually insult others equipment, its not personal, it just is. It is a little investment but they last a long time and work very well, a 175-211 class mig, is ideal for home hobby. A good one without any bells/whistles, Hobart 187. Roll of 030 wire and bottle of C25 gas, couple spare tips and you are good to go.

Comment

Without knowing more details, such as what you are planning to weld, what your level of experience is, what the brand/model of the machine is.... I'd second what sberry said

Frank

Comment

3/32 is too big for the 110v machines, if you do get it to burn you will amp it out after a couple of rods, go to the hardware store and look for the forney brand welding supplies, they sell real tiny stick rod, i am not sure of the sizes but smaller than 3/32, since you are familiar with stick welding, i suggest that you research your electrical panel, if you have the room, run a 50 amp breaker and get a name brand buzz box, go for the extra cost and get one that runs dc, you will be glad that you did go for the dc down the road

Comment

What is the welder I ought to be using

Ok,

My friend gave a free welder.

Does anyone have suggestion of the type of welder to purchase to learn how to weld that does not cost an arm and leg.

I already have a 3 phase service installed.

Thanks,

Pat,

Comment

If you have 3-phase and want to arc weld I would get a Miller CST280. It is a great machine that will run 3/16 rod at the high end. I use mine with 3/32, 1/8 and 5/32 rod. It burns 7018 great and I run a little 6011 with it too. I got one used with 35' leads and 25' tig torch for about $1000. A little spendy, but a great machine. Also, being an inverter it will run on a smaller service than a transformer machine. It runs a tig torch nicely as well.

Comment

Well what kind of welding do you want to do?

You could get a small stick welder, a medium stick welder, a large stick welder, a very large stick welder, a small mig welder, a medium mig welder, a large mig welder, a very large mig welder, a small tig welder, a medium tig welder, a large tig welder, a very large tig welder, a small stick/mig/tig welder, a medium stick/tig/mig welder, a large stick/tig/mig welder, a very large stick/tig/mig welder, a small stick/tig welder, a medium stick/tig welder, a large stick/tig welder, a very large stick/tig welder.

Then we get into welders that can also carbon arc, flux core, metal core, dual shield, also the portability capabilities, budget, knowledge of welding, effect what you want.

Once you tell us more about what you want from this list, we can start to help you.

Asking us what welder to purchase is the same as asking us what language you want to learn. You have to tell us.
                Last edited by Country Metals; 01-28-2013, 06:16 AM.

Comment

Also, I forgot about this. This will help you give us a better area to help you with.

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/smartselector/

Comment

Hey Country...

That is a pretty good list, but what if the OP wants to gas weld?!

Comment

beginning welder

Underwater welding is a specialized field. There is an increase for underwater welding skills as the need for offshore fuel development rises. The need for repairing and developing marine infrastructure also drives the growing opportunities for these skills. Here is a starting guide for jobs in the field of underwater welding.
                      To enter into a career of underwater diving, a welder needs to be a certified welder and a commercial diver. According the American Welding Society (AWS) the person needs to be able to weld by the standards of AWS D3.6M Underwater Welding Code. Other welding functions need to be performed on an as-needed basis.

Last edited by SumriALias; 02-02-2013, 01:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SumriALias View Post
                        Underwater welding is a specialized field. There is an increase for underwater welding skills as the need for offshore fuel development rises. The need for repairing and developing marine infrastructure also drives the growing opportunities for these skills. Here is a starting guide for jobs in the field of underwater welding.
                        To enter into a career of underwater diving, a welder needs to be a certified welder and a commercial diver. According the American Welding Society (AWS) the person needs to be able to weld by the standards of AWS D3.6M Underwater Welding Code. Other welding functions need to be performed on an as-needed basis.
                        Yeah right, like he's gonna be doing a lot of underwater welding at home in his garage. Maybe if his bathtub cracks while he's taking a bath and he needs to weld it up quik so as not to lose all that bath water.

Comment

Originally posted by elvis View Post
                          Hey Country...

Then he has to get a '' GAS '' DRIVE TRAILBLAZER !!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BD1 View Post
                            Then he has to get a '' GAS '' DRIVE TRAILBLAZER !!!!!!
                            HA! awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by elvis View Post
                              Hey Country...

He can't ... gas need 3.14159 phase and he only has 3 phase :-)

To the original poster --- without knowing what you want to do, it's hard to recommend a machine.

Your first post said "around the house" ... which sort of implies minor repairs, hobby and garden art stuff, maybe building shelves, stands, and so on. _if_ (and that's a very big if) that is what you are doing, any of the 110vac MIG machines would probably suit your needs (such as a MM140), but you'd be much better off going up to a 230v machine (eg MM180 or 211). Miller, Hobart, and Lincoln all make decent machines in these ranges. Note that smaller machines cost less. If you are really budget concious, you could look at a Hobart 125.

If you don't know how to weld, I strongly suggest you take a course someplace, such as a local community college. Welding technique is as much art as it is science and having someone say "not, not like _that_, like _this_" is a huge help. It also can give you the chance to see a bunch of different machines and processes and maybe refine your question some...

frank

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.