Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grasshopper

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grasshopper

I am interested in making my own welding ground for pipe welding
    I searched the forums there are no real good pictures of a grasshopper ground
    I was wondering if anyone had some information on making one and maybe a picture
    Thank You

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...7&d=1220455378

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Welder View Post
      I am interested in making my own welding ground for pipe welding
      I searched the forums there are no real good pictures of a grasshopper ground
      I was wondering if anyone had some information on making one and maybe a picture
      Thank You
      AWS forum.

Griff

Comment

Thank You Dipsomaniac
        I have a few questions
        Where did they get that piece that is in the Jaws of the clamp
        and is the part that is resting on the pipe part of the ground also
        or is it electricaly insulated from the ground
        Thanks

Comment

Easiest way to make a grasshopper is to cut on a scrap piece of pipe the same size as the pipe you are going to weld. You need about a foot of pipe. You can shape it any way you want, but the base of it needs to be able to grab the pipe, so you mark it out about 1 inch width, and about half of the diameter of the pipe. 1 foot long should be long enough to work around the clamps. Bend the end that touches the weld area and make a point. Weld any scrap metal somewhere on the piece for your ground clamp to grab. I don't have any pictures with me to show you, but the picture on a previous reply is sufficient to give you an idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Welder View Post
            Thank You Dipsomaniac
            I have a few questions
            Where did they get that piece that is in the Jaws of the clamp
            and is the part that is resting on the pipe part of the ground also
            or is it electricaly insulated from the ground
            Thanks
            You are welcomed.

The piece that is in the jaws is the same round stock as the back on the grasshopper. For 12 inch pipe I use 1 5/8 inch round stock because its weight and stability. The bent round stock on the back is typically bent to a 45 to 60 degree angle and the jawed end has a 25 to 35 degree bevel to rest on the weld in the root of the pipe. The entire grasshopper is electrically the same (ground) but you are only allowed to pass current through the root weld. I hope that helps some.

Comment

Working...
            X
            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.