No announcement yet.

Millermatic will not feed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$600 is way high.......$400 for a MM35 is on the high side for a really really nice one... you can find MM200's in that price range.... given the choice I would go MM200....
    The MM35 was only good for 150amps @60percent duty.(topped at 200)... the MM200 was 200amps @60percent duty cycle... and 275amps @30percent... they looked like twins but the MM200 was a real workhorse....

MM35 went for $950 brand new....

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Wow. I thought it was high. I was going to offer $300 as I got this one for $200. I'll try search tempest and see if there are any 200s around. my MM35 is junk if I don't fix it right?

Comment

Originally posted by ItsMillerTime View Post
        Wow. I thought it was high. I was going to offer $300 as I got this one for $200. I'll try search tempest and see if there are any 200s around. my MM35 is junk if I don't fix it right?
        Yep pretty much......

you will find that the MM200 has a very loyal following... many members here still have theirs.... it is a bit of a classic.. with a really nice arc... a real workhorse...

I even kept mine... it is parked next to my MM350P.....

btw... where in Pa are you??

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
        Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
        Dynasty 200DX
        Millermatic 200

Comment

I'm north of Pittsburgh. I hope I can find one then. Might be worth it to fix the 35 just tinkering in my spare time. A mig would be nice right now, but I don't really need it.

Comment

The cheapest one I can find within 400 miles is $950. How much do these things run? What do you think of this: http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/tls/2759332357.html ? It says 3 phase power though. Could I hook it to single phase somehow?
            Last edited by ItsMillerTime; 01-13-2012, 12:00 AM.

Comment

This one must have the optional gold windings...

http://chambersburg.craigslist.org/tls/2768001667.html

Comment

There are plenty of machines out there .... you might just do a Craigslist (search tempest) search under "mig welder" .... take your time... if you only have single phase... then exclude the 3phase stuff.... some can be converted but it is a lot more trouble than it is worth in my estimation... the deals are out there... be patient...

was not telling you to give up on your machine... just wanted you to be aware that it may be a much bigger deal than you thought at first.. so you could weigh your options..........

My Blue Stuff:
                Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                Dynasty 200DX
                Millermatic 200

Comment

I am finding out that it is a bigger deal especially with my limited knowledge of the electrical system. I can't find the capacitors for a decent deal anywhere so I will keep looking.

I got an air compressor for free that was 3 phase and I know what a nightmare that would have been to run on single phase power. The miller owners manual says only 3 phase power so I guess it is the same with welders.

I'm just going to take my time and work on the MM35 when I can and look for deals on a mm200.

Comment

I'm just going to take my time and work on the MM35 when I can and look for deals on a mm200.
                    Do not limit yourself to the antiques... there are a lot of modern welders that come up used in that price range..... also there are machines that are cheap because of lack of name recognition in this market.... for instance... "Panasonic Gunslingers" often go ignored.... but are excellent machines...

My Blue Stuff:
                    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                    Dynasty 200DX
                    Millermatic 200

Comment

I am finding out that it is a bigger deal especially with my limited knowledge of the electrical system. I can't find the capacitors for a decent deal anywhere so I will keep looking.

On capacitors you can use any combination in paralell as long as the total MFD value equals what the original value... AND the working voltage is at least that of original..

Places like surplus houses and Ebay..... those "root beer" can caps are used as stiffening caps for car stereo... and were widely used in old linear computer power supplies... keep looking...

My Blue Stuff:
                      Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                      Dynasty 200DX
                      Millermatic 200

Comment

Originally posted by H80N View Post
                        On capacitors you can use any combination in paralell as long as the total MFD value equals what the original value... AND the working voltage is at least that of original..

Places like surplus houses and Ebay..... those "root beer" can caps are used as stiffening caps for car stereo... and were widely used in old linear computer power supplies... keep looking...
                        Thanks, I will. It would be great to get it fixed because it is a huge frusteration as I am used to fixing everything myself.

Comment

I want to make sure I get this right because my eyes are crossing looking at ebay listings. If I understand what you are saying correctly, I can get one (http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-TCI-50v-10...item2eb8dffeff) or would I be better off with a set of 6 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-6-pcs-22...item20bff97ea0)?

I found some other singles below. Not sure if much higher volts would be a good idea or if MFD should be a bigger concern...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-TCI-60v-10...item2eb64f4aa4

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-BC-50v-120...item2eb5e4fc56

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-50V-200000...item2eae2324d6

Comment

Electrolytic Capacitor value..

Total MFD should add up to the same as the original Total Miller factory value....
                            not more not less...

Working voltage value must be equal to or greater than the original factory value... NEVER lower..

My Blue Stuff:
                            Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                            Dynasty 200DX
                            Millermatic 200

Comment

Sounds good. I can snag a single with 50 more volts and ~56,000 more MFD. Thanks!

Comment

Total MFD should add up to the same as the original Total Miller factory value....
                                not more not less...
                                I have to disagree with the "not more" aspect. For example, the first generation MM200 had the same total 54000 uF capacitance as the previous MM35 belonging to the OP. Second and later generations of the MM200 were upgraded to 120000uF with either a six or eight pack bank. Upgrading a MM35 to 120,000uF makes perfect sense and is acceptable. However, if staying with the original value, the OP should NOT replace just the failed unit. It's like changing one old battery in a bank of batteries that results in compromising the life of the new unit.

Working voltage value must be equal to or greater than the original factory value... NEVER lower..
                                Agreed 100%+. In addition to the increased total capacitance, the voltage rating was increased from the original 35V of the MM200 to 45V to get the capacitors out of their surge voltage range for that normal split second they see full OCV. The 50V units I had to use (supplier was out of 45V) are just as suitable as the 45V versions with a little more "cushion".

Bottom line, the OP needs to decide if he wants to keep putting $$$ into the unit or find someone familiar with troubleshooting electrical machinery to help determine what is needed to get it operating and what it'll cost as you pointed out in earlier threads.
                                MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
                                Syncrowave 180 SD
                                Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
                                *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
                                *HF-251D-1
                                *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
                                PakMaster 100XL
                                Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110
                                http://www.millerwelds.com/images/sm...rolleyes.png?2

Comment

Working...
                                X