Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The suitable welder to weld aluminum speed boat.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The suitable welder to weld aluminum speed boat.

Hi guys, I'm here cause I need to hear your opinion as per title above. The weld must be done in the beach, not in shop. I'm sorry if data I gave wasn't suffice. Another question: what is the common material the boat made of? What is the suitable rod/wire to be use? Thank you guys in advance.

First thing I'd try is to ask the manufacturer what the boat is made of if it isn't home made. Best thing is to know what the base material is and then select the appropriate filler. If the boat is home made and you know the maker and he remembers what filler he used when making it, use the same thing. (that is if the whole thing has held up well...if the welds have failed, you may NOT want to use the same filler!)

The type of machines do you have available to you may limit what gets used to make the weld. AND....as the weld must be done on the beach, what kind of power is available "on the beach" may dictate what machine you will be forced to use. Aluminum can be normally welded with two different processes: MIG and also with TIG. Another thing that may dictate what machine gets used is what kind of training and how much skill the weldor who is going to do the weld has. Both MIG with aluminum and TIG are more skill oriented than your more "normal" processes such as stick and A/O gas welding. Now that I think of it, I believe I have heard of people with the somewhat special skill of being able to weld aluminum with an O/A setup, but have never personally seen it done and don't know anything about that.
    Last edited by dondlhmn; 12-16-2011, 06:43 PM.
    Don J
    Reno, NV

Never pick a fight with an old guy. Old guys are too smart to fight and get hurt. They'll just kill you and get it over with.

Comment

Thank you dondlhm for quick reply. Now about power source we will use generator. One thing I wanna ask is..for a newbie like me..which process will be much forgiving (in other word: which one is easier?), TIG or MIG? Which one is better in windy condition?? Thank you.

Comment

Likely going to want to make a welding tent around the repair. Wind is not good to have when your using gasses.

Think you should get a CV machine, a spool gun and a bottle of Argon. And a operator that is familiar with this process.

Comment

First, not to talk you down personally, but YOU should NOT do this weld if you have never, ever welded with either MIG or TIG (especially on aluminum, as it is pretty unforgiving and needs fairly specialized talent and skill to weld to where it will be structurally sound and maybe even nice looking. (unless, of course, if you just happen to be that RARE one-in-a-million kind of people that just have a knack for aluminum). As far as MIG goes, some say it is easier than TIG with the right setup, correct speeds, etc, but me, personally..I can make total junk out of aluminum stuff with a MIG welder real fast, but can produce pretty decent TIG welds. ( I did NOT say PRETTY...they are sound, but not as pretty as I would like!)

Second..the wind WILL be a problem any time gas is involved with a weld, so I would STRONGlY recommend that you build a shelter around the welding area....something like a tent (could be sheet rock, plywood, an actual tent, wood and plastic sheet...pretty much anything that will keep the wind away EVEN if it is not blowing when you start out on the project. (If you can get something not too flammable, that would be good, but any time there is anything flammable around a weldor it is a REALLY GOOD idea to have a fireguard with a fire extinguisher right there). Also, remember that gasoline fumes are very dangerous and a spark or flame can make a BIG BOOM, so do everything possible to not have gasoline fumes in your "tent". As a matter of fact, if I got into the "tent" to weld and could smell gasoline at all, I WOULD NOT DO THE WELD. The wind always seems to strike at EXACTLY the wrong moment.....believe me...I speak from experience trying to weld both MIG and TIG here in Reno where it can get VERY windy VERY quickly and then just die right out just as quickly.

Thirdly......fitup between the parts before you start welding is IMPORTANT, so get the very best fitup you can before proceeding with welding.

Fourthly, Fifthly and Sixthly...Cleanlieness is your friend. CLEANLIENESS IS YOUR FRIEND. CLEAN! CLEAN! CLEAN! Oh, yeah...be sure all parts to be joined are CLEAN!! That means all corrosion, all dirt, paint, fish bait, left over bikini bottoms, all everything that was NOT the base metal when it was ******. Oh...and...CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN!

Seventh....for the very best, strongest weld you may want to back gas it.....that is to say apply the same gas you are wleding with to evacuate the atmosphere from being in contact with the heat affected area on the back side of the metal from time welding is begun until the weld has frozen back up.

There are a bunch of guys on this site that are a LOT MORE EXPERT and experienced at this stuff than I am....can any of you TIGGERs or MIGGERs add anything to what I have told the OP (or maybe subtract anything?)
          Last edited by dondlhmn; 12-16-2011, 07:52 PM.
          Don J
          Reno, NV

Never pick a fight with an old guy. Old guys are too smart to fight and get hurt. They'll just kill you and get it over with.

Comment

Long threads always through me off. Big project on a beach, mig it : good luck! 5356 filler for marine applications..
            sigpic

Dynasty 200 DX
            Millermatic 350P
            30A Spoolgun
            Lincoln Pro Mig 140
            Hypertherm Powermax 30
            14" Rage Evolution dry saw
            40 ton press brake
            Evenheat Heat treat oven

1x42 / 4x48 belt grinder

Comment

This post is a joke, right?

No mention of size, or what needs to be done, etc.

Way too little info to provide ANY guidance.
              Last edited by SundownIII; 12-16-2011, 11:42 PM.
              Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
              Dynasty 200 DX
              Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
              Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
              Hobart HH187
              Dialarc 250 AC/DC
              Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
              Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
              PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
              Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
              Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
              More grinders than hands

Comment

[QUOTE=SundownIII;276630]This post is a joke, right?

No mention of size, or what needs to be done, etc.

Way too little info to provide ANY guidance.[/QUOT

I'm sorry if I gave too little data. This is no joke and I'm trully a newbie..never do aluminum speed boat repair so I have no idea about that. Usually do SMAW mild steel and stainless steel but some time people came to me and ask to weld their aluminum speed boat. Thats why I'm here, to learn from all of you, I believe there's many experienced guys will share/guide me. For now I cant give any specific data bcoz I never done that, I just need general/common information to start. Sorry for bad english too.

Comment

So a guy owns an expensive speed boat so he takes it to a guy who has never welded alum and has no shop or welder? ...Bob
                  Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
                  http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

What kind of repair is it? You didn't give any info other than aluminum speedboat, beach & you don't know how to weld aluminum.

If you have a suitable generator than a Dynasty 200 is what a lot of welders use for portable aluminum.
                    Last edited by MMW; 12-17-2011, 06:54 AM.
                    MM250
                    Trailblazer 250g
                    22a feeder
                    Lincoln ac/dc 225
                    Victor O/A
                    MM200 black face
                    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
                    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
                    Arco roto-phase model M
                    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
                    Miller spectrum 875
                    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
                    Syncrowave 250
                    RCCS-14

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
                      So a guy owns an expensive speed boat so he takes it to a guy who has never welded alum and has no shop or welder? ...Bob
                      Hey, being rich DOES NOT mean you aren't dumb enough to take your speedboat out somewhere that doesn't have all the services available and then do something stupid like run it up on the rocks or the beach, tearing it up in the process......haven't you ever heard of people with more money than brains??LOL!! I've seen some pretty rich folks do some pretty dumb stuff!! Plus, it is really hard to steer with a hot babe (probably NOT his wife or daughter) wearing only bikini bottoms distracting your attention! Ever think of that??

Also, I recognize that there isn't a lot of info given by the OP, that's why that one post of mine was so long...to sort of cover a lot of bases and give some idea of what needs to/can be done in wide, generic terms without going into specific detail. Without fairly specific info given in the first place when the question is asked, a lot of specific direction/guidance can NOT be realistically given. Hopefully the OP will get the idea that there are a lot of options and, depending upon the situation re: equipment, power, skils avaiable, he may be able to go at it from a lot of different directions. Of course any sort of guidance has to be applied by someone with some brains, but you gotta start SOMEWHERE and if you don't have any and all technology/equipment/power/filler/parts, etc avaiable wherever you may be, you will have to improvise. Some of us are lucky enough to not have to do a lot of that too much because we can just run to town or the shop and find/buy/make/borrow whatever we need.

I say, give the OP a break and don't bust on him! After all, did every weldor that has a bunch of skill or experience or knowledge happen to be born with all that or did they all start from somewhere like maybe basic ground zero/nada/nothing?? Did any of you/us just pick up a TIG torch and make a stack of dimes the FIRST TRY with no help from a mentor, parent, boss or teacher?? At least the guy has the smarts/stones to ask questions of a bunch of people (YOU GUYS) that can maybe give him some help, NOT TO MENTION that he is doing it in a language that is apparently not his native tongue!!
                      Last edited by dondlhmn; 12-17-2011, 09:09 AM. Reason: fiks skrud up speleeng
                      Don J
                      Reno, NV

Comment

Originally posted by dondlhmn View Post
                        haven't you ever heard of people with more money than brains??LOL!! Plus, it is really hard to steer with a hot babe (probably NOT his wife or daughter) wearing only bikini bottoms distracting your attention! Ever think of that??
                        Yup and Yup ...Bob
                        Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
                        http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
                          If you've been to these countrys, pert near everything is a speed boat. They drive em up on the sand. You've seen those swamp boats with the 4 cylinder car engines and 20' drive shafts to a propeller. Thats a speed boat too.

Welders to fix them are very few and far between

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
                            If you've been to these countrys, pert near everything is a speed boat. They drive em up on the sand. You've seen those swamp boats with the 4 cylinder car engines and 20' drive shafts to a propeller. Thats a speed boat too.

Welders to fix them are very few and far between
                            Both true...some of those out of the way places I have been to, there are two kinds of boats..WORK boats and SPEED BOATS....PERIOD. Nothing in between..if it wasn't built for work, it was built to go fast...and fast can be anything from top end work boat speed to over a hunnerd!
                            Don J
                            Reno, NV

Comment

Originally Posted by aametalmaster View Post

Yes Bob, that's why I'm here, to hear you guys sing about repair weld alum boat, then I'll take a practice, and when I can weld okay, I'll take the job. I'm not taking the job right now. I do own a small workshop but I think welding boat mostly done on the beach.

I think cracked is what I have to repair weld. I don't know..I'm new and 'm here to hear from you..

I appreciate more info on this.

Thank you guys.

Rgds,
                              Steph.

Comment

Working...
                              X