Clear All

• millermatic 135 drive motor info

I need to know the following about the drive motor in the mm135:
    -amps
    -volts
    -torque
    -stall speed
    -shaft size

If any one can help me out it would be greatly appreciated.
    Miller 330 BPA - Sold
    Miller 180SD Syncrowave - Sold
    Miller Aircrafter 330ST - Sold
    Miller 351 Syncrowave - Sold
    Miller CP-300
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller 135 Millermatic
    Miller Spectrum 250D (Now running strong!)

hmm, motor assemblys are cheap. for that info, take yours apart.

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
      hmm, motor assemblys are cheap. for that info, take yours apart.
      This is true, but Miller missed the boat on this one. The motor is underpowered and sub par quality. Why buy another assembly when im going to get another sub par drive motor in return? My thought process is to replace the drive motor with one of higher quality and more torque.
      Miller 330 BPA - Sold
      Miller CP-300
      Miller Maxstar 150 STL
      Miller Dynasty 200 DX
      Miller 135 Millermatic

Comment

Buttt..... upgrading the drive won't help you at all unless your planning on up grading the drive board and weld transformer.

Comment

Buttt..... upgrading the drive won't help you at all unless your planning on up grading the drive board and weld transformer.
          Shot myself in the foot on this one. Heres my problem:
          The unit "stutters" at higher voltage settings. When this happens, you can physically see the motor start / stop feeding wire. The unit itself is new, with less than a few hours of total weld time. I purchased it as old but new in the box stock.
          Ive replaced the drive roll, wire, contact tip, liner....all with the same results. Ive backed off the wire spool tension and tightened down the drive roll tension - and all settings in between. This machine refuses to run longer than a 1/4 bead with smooth results.
          Miller 330 BPA - Sold
          Miller CP-300
          Miller Maxstar 150 STL
          Miller Dynasty 200 DX
          Miller 135 Millermatic

Comment

If you haven't already, check all the control board receptacles for poor connections that may be breaking down under load.

In particular:
            Transformer T1 feeds at RC6 and RC7.
            Drive motor power supply circuits at RC3 and weld output connection points(wires #33 and #34).
            Drive motor power feed circuits at RC3 (wires #35 and 36).
            Drive motor power feed harness plug/receptacle PLG28/RC28.
            All connections at the weld output rectifier downstream of the main transformer.

In general - all harness and control board plugs.

You should be able to isolate the problem to the motor or controls by measuring motor supply voltage at PLG28/RC28 while the unit is acting up. A steady voltage indicates a motor problem and a fluctuating voltage indicates controls. A fluctuating voltage will most likely show up as a voltage drop as a typical VOM can't respond quickly enought to show a total loss of voltage that would have to happen for the motor to actually stop/start repeatedly.

Just some thoughts.
            MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
            Syncrowave 180 SD
            Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
            *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
            *HF-251D-1
            *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
            PakMaster 100XL
            Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110

Comment

All connections checked and inspected. All clean and tight. Motor voltage fluctuates from plug when it acts up. Some one on another sister forum was saying it may be the thermistor resetable fuse on the pcb?
              Miller 330 BPA - Sold
              Miller CP-300
              Miller Maxstar 150 STL
              Miller Dynasty 200 DX
              Miller 135 Millermatic

Comment

I'm at the end of my ability to assist on the MM135 and suggest a call to Miller Customer Service and fill them in on what the symtoms are and what you've checked to date. Sounding as if it's the board, they should be able to walk you thru any possible field checks.
                MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
                Syncrowave 180 SD
                Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
                *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
                *HF-251D-1
                *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
                PakMaster 100XL
                Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110

Comment

Any one at miller have info on the resetable fuse mentioned or the drive motor?
                  Want to replace both. Specifically on the drive motor, just need to know the info asked so i can find a ball bearing version thats made with highet quality.
                  Miller 330 BPA - Sold
                  Miller CP-300
                  Miller Maxstar 150 STL
                  Miller Dynasty 200 DX
                  Miller 135 Millermatic

Comment

There is not resetable fuse, some machines came with a current limiter, some didn't.

serial# if you please

Comment

There is not resetable fuse, some machines came with a current limiter, some didn't.

serial# if you please
                      LC071703

Resettable fuse at location PTC1 on board 207-463
                      Miller 330 BPA - Sold
                      Miller CP-300
                      Miller Maxstar 150 STL
                      Miller Dynasty 200 DX
                      Miller 135 Millermatic

Comment

Thats a thermal, so if the motor draws too much power (current over load), it heats up, and shuts the motor off. Motor cools down thermal completes the circuit again. Nothing much resetable about it.

so you can test it by jumpering a wire around it and try and run a bead. If the unit works, then you know that the thermal is weak, if not its something else. weak relay, or failed Q1

Comment

Well folks, if you have a 135 and it stutters, dont get mad - FIX IT.
                          For me, the fix was two fold. The first part:

Replace the "thermal" located at PTC1 on the board. I used mouser electronics part number 576-60R185XF.

Youll need some solder, desoldering braid or sucker, and some solder know how. Simply desolder the old, and replace with new.

Here is the second part:
                          Although not a "fix" or "repair" it certainly is an upgrade. PTC1 opens when the drive motor draws too much current. When this happens, PTC1 gets warm and opens, protecting the circuit board.
                          An old professor of mine always said, "If you can raise the bridge, lower the water."
                          My quest for a more efficient and better quality drive motor led me no where. Because of this, I then focused on how I could made the drive motor more efficient, with out replacing it. The solution is a pair of $6 ea sealled ball bearings. Inside the drive motor gear box is a pair of bronze bushings. These bushings create untold amounts of drag on the drive motor - above and beyond what the little motor already has to do.
                          The bearings are a pair of MR6700-2RS. I got mine from Boca Bearing.
                          Simply open up the gear box, clean out all the old grease, punch the bushings out (they are flanged and only go one way), and ream the holes for the bearings. Youll want to make sure the bearings are a press fit.
                          Once reamed, clean the gear box completely, and install the main shaft. Check for end play. Youll need to have some electric motor spacers on hand to make sure the shaft doesnt have too much end play. I ran mine to. 002"
                          One the end play is correct, reinstall all the other gears after you have cleaned them, grease the gear box with a good quality grease that has clinging properties, and install the entire drive unit back into the machine.

Before the ball bearing mod, my drive motor and gear box were fairly loud, even when working properly. Now its very very quiet. The machine welds the way a Miller should.

These two fixes can be done for under $20 in parts. The thermal is around $.50 plus shipping and the bearings are around $12 plus shipping for the pair.

Good luck and happy welding.
                          Miller 330 BPA - Sold
                          Miller CP-300
                          Miller Maxstar 150 STL
                          Miller Dynasty 200 DX
                          Miller 135 Millermatic

Comment

Working...
                          X