Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Miller Dynasty 300DX problem, video inside.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I only pressed the AC and DC mode buttons and AC frequency to change HZ frequency parameter. Yes I know what the buttons do, I downloaded the manual for this model and read most of it to get familiar with the machine. Pulser is always switched off so I am not playing with any programs. The memory buttons, I did not mess with them, from since when I bought it I only used it on the number 1 button, I tried the other 3 buttons to see if it changes anything but it still does the same problem so I put it back on memory 1. I had been using the machine in DC mode without any problems for the last couple of months. The problem started when I tried using it in AC for the first time. The lights flashes because there is a fault, if you turn the sound up you can hear the clicking from inside the machine and the lights flashes at the same time. I dont know how the electrical installation can be bad because I been using the machine without any problems on DC for these last couple of months.

I asked the tech guy from miller how to do a factory reset on this machine because the technical manual he sent me does not list anything how to do it.

Here are some pictures of stuff I did with it to show you guys that the welder worked great on DC mode. I am a beginner tig welder so my work is not perfect yet, I am still learning. These parts went on my friend's turbo Honda.

Last edited by marlon88; 10-31-2011, 01:50 PM.
    Miller Dynasty 300DX
    Telwin Digital Mig 180

Comment

Miller Dynasty 300DX
      Telwin Digital Mig 180

Comment

Originally posted by marlon88 View Post
        Hi guys,

I need your help about a problem I am having with my Dynasty 300DX.

Since I bought the machine I only used it to weld stainless steel on DC mode. Today I tried welding aluminum for the first time on AC mode. When I tried to establish a weld pool it started the arc but could not develop a weld pool like there was not enough power. Amps were set to about 180 so with that amps it should melt the 1/4 inch aluminum flat bar I was trying on. Then I turned up a bit more frequency and changed ac balance, then when I tried to start an arc, it started doing a clicking noise from the lower/rear part of the machine and when I looked at the machine, the display was flickering and some of the green lights coming on and off.

I discovered that the machine only does this when set on HF start . On Lift Arc mode it welds fine in DC mode on stainless steel, but in AC it does not start an arc no matter what settings I try.

Hope to hear from you guys soon,

Thanks
        Marlon
        Your panel has a completely different layout from mine, but it appears you have selected the "remote trigger hold" (button 2) and the pulse function (button 12). For A/C tig welding using HF start and a foot pedal, select buttons 1, 5 and 20 . . . for D/C tig select 1, 5 and 23.

With "remote trigger hold" selected, the machine is expecting you to push and release the pedal. It will then start the weld program you have set. By holding the pedal down continuously, I believe the machine is repeatedly trying to restart the program.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by 4sfed; 11-01-2011, 12:01 AM.
        Dynasty 300DX
        MM350P
        Hobart Handler 120
        Smith LW7, MW1, AW1
        Smith AR/He Mixer

Comment

Hi 4sfed,

I use button 12 to set the total amps that I want to weld when button 1 (remote trigger) is selected. On the manual it says that button 16 is the On/Off for the pulser not button 12. Button 12 on the manual it says that its for Tig weld amps and peak amps when pulser is selected. So since the pulser is turned off, I am using button 12 to control total amps. Am I using the wrong button to set the total amps? What button do I have to use to set amps that I want to weld with? Is it button 14( Final amperage control)? But on the manual it says that when on remote trigger ( button 1 ) "when a foot or finger remote is connected to the welding power source , initial amps , initial slope , final slope and final amps are not functional.
          Miller Dynasty 300DX
          Telwin Digital Mig 180

Comment

marlon,

Sorry, I assumed you were using a foot pedal. Yes, when using a switch pad, you set final amps with button 12, so select it along with buttons 1, 5 and 20. The problem comes when you select button 2. The machine is looking for you to depress and release the remote trigger in order to start ramping up the current. You would then press and release it again to begin the ramp down. If you continue to hold the trigger down, the machine repeatedly tries to restart the sequence.

When you select button 1, the arc will ramp up as soon as the remote trigger is pushed then continue at the selected amps until the button is released . . . at which time it will begin the ramp down.

Button 3 gives you more options and is described well on page 23 of your manual.
            Dynasty 300DX
            MM350P
            Hobart Handler 120
            Smith LW7, MW1, AW1
            Smith AR/He Mixer

Comment

Originally posted by marlon88 View Post
              Hi 4sfed,

I use button 12 to set the total amps that I want to weld when button 1 (remote trigger) is selected. On the manual it says that button 16 is the On/Off for the pulser not button 12. Button 12 on the manual it says that its for Tig weld amps and peak amps when pulser is selected. So since the pulser is turned off, I am using button 12 to control total amps. Am I using the wrong button to set the total amps? What button do I have to use to set amps that I want to weld with? Is it button 14( Final amperage control)? But on the manual it says that when on remote trigger ( button 1 ) "when a foot or finger remote is connected to the welding power source , initial amps , initial slope , final slope and final amps are not functional.
              Isn't button 28 the one that sets the overall maximum weld current?

Comment

Kevin Meier, no that button only controls amps when on stick welding mode.

4sfed, I am using a foot pedal. So if not using button 12 to control total amps, which button controls the max amps when using foot pedal? I normaly use the machine on 1 button, on the video it is showing button 2 ON but that's to show that the machine is doing the clicking noise on all modes. I always used the machine to weld on button 1.
                Miller Dynasty 300DX
                Telwin Digital Mig 180

Comment

After reading you manual again, I believe you are correct in using button 12 to select max current when using a foot pedal . . . so for HF start A/C tig you would select buttons 1, 5, and 20, and set max amperage using button 12. With a freshly sharpened tungsten it should establish an arc with amperage controlled by the pedal.

Do you get a shower of sparks from the tungsten when you try, but the arc doesn't start? If so, go back and read TJS's response in post #2, and watch the video. Arc starts with the older inverters are not as reliable as the transformer machines. Holding the tungsten very close to the work helps.

If you don't get a shower of sparks from the HF, look at section 4-4 of your manual . . . Programmable HF Start Amperage and Time Modes. Try 30 amps for 5 milliseconds first (factory default). If that doesn't work, try increasing amps to 40. On thin material (low maximum current) you may need to decrease the start amps or the arc will pulse at a light pedal position.

What settings are you using for D/C tig with lift-arc . . . buttons 1, 4 and 23?
                  Dynasty 300DX
                  MM350P
                  Hobart Handler 120
                  Smith LW7, MW1, AW1
                  Smith AR/He Mixer

Comment

I say again.

Headspace and timing.

As a new tigger, why are you trying to use the sequencer and a foot pedal?

Turn the sequencer and pulser off and ramp up your amps with the pedal.

The machine's telling you that you're trying to do something contrary to a built in program.

The Dynasty 300 stores different programs for AC and DC welding. I'm betting the DC use of the machine didn't involve use of the sequencer. For most one off type work, I never use the sequencer. I use the pedal. Maybe if you were doing repetetive jobs, the sequencer could be of use.
                    Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
                    Dynasty 200 DX
                    Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
                    Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
                    Hobart HH187
                    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
                    Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
                    Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
                    PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
                    Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
                    Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
                    More grinders than hands

Comment

Originally posted by SundownIII View Post
                      I say again.

Turn the sequencer and pulser off and ramp up your amps with the pedal.
                      Is it possible to deselect button 1 . . . or do you have to choose between 1, 2 or 3? If you can, then I agree with Sundown. The manual is a bit cryptic and doesn't explain the functions completely.
                      Dynasty 300DX
                      MM350P
                      Hobart Handler 120
                      Smith LW7, MW1, AW1
                      Smith AR/He Mixer

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to reply guys.

4sfed, when on HF start and I start to get close with the tungsten there is no sparks flowing out of the tungsten to the metal. I tried different Tungstens types and all did the same. Then I get so close that I touch the tungsten and it sticks to the metal. Only buttons 1 ,5 and 23 are selected. HF start parameters are set: dc amps 30a and time 3ms , ac are set 40amps and 40ms. I copied them from 300DX manual which I downloaded from miller website.

SundownIII, I am not using the pulser, it is switched off. And when I am on remote button switched on, It does not allow me to use the sequencer so I am not using sequencer with the pedal. I am using it on 2T.

Can't believe that its so complicated to do a factory reset on this model... Here is what the Miller tech guy told me to do: "The method to reset the machine to factory defaults is not published in any of the manuals and we generally discourage doing it. To reset the machine a positive 24 volts DC must be applied to the A socket of the remote receptacle with respect to chassis with the machine turned off."
                        Miller Dynasty 300DX
                        Telwin Digital Mig 180

Comment

You have to select 1 2 3, it does not allow you to switch off any of them, I always select 1. On the video it shows 2 On because I wanted to show you that its doing the flickering on all buttons selected 1 and 2.
                          Miller Dynasty 300DX
                          Telwin Digital Mig 180

Comment

Ok try this, turn off and restart the machine. DON'T press the memory key

Put your parameters into the machine on AC, try it. if it works save it into a memory location of your choice remebering that these 4 locations hold apparently 16 different programs.

It may be that your DC tig program is stored there, and there are not any AC programs stored sooo trying to run AC on a DC program is not a good thing.
                            Last edited by cruizer; 11-01-2011, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Did you even go through the memorys to find out what was stored there?

and are you looking at the correct manual as there are 2 different 300DX manuals

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
                                Ok try this, turn off and restart the machine. DON'T press the memory key

Put your parameters into the machine on AC, try it. if it works save it into a memory location of your choice remebering that these 4 locations hold apparently 16 different programs.

It may be that your DC tig program is stored there, and there are not any AC programs stored sooo trying to run AC on a DC program is not a good thing.
                                My machine always starts up with the program that was in use when it was last shut down . . . and any subsequent panel selection overrides the programmed parameters. I have the "other" 300DX. Do they work differently?

Since there are no sparks when he steps on the pedal, it sounds to me like there is no HF.
                                Dynasty 300DX
                                MM350P
                                Hobart Handler 120
                                Smith LW7, MW1, AW1
                                Smith AR/He Mixer

Comment

Working...
                                X