No announcement yet.

Spoolmate 100 tip problems?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just got my own spoolmate 100 with the 211, I haven't hooked it up yet, but I did notice that it came with brass .030 tips???? I tend to use .035 with I think .045 tip at my last job that were AL. Will it work with and AL .045 tip? or should I look to mod it?? thanks

Comment

Originally posted by scubajeep1 View Post
      I just got my own spoolmate 100 with the 211, I haven't hooked it up yet, but I did notice that it came with brass .030 tips???? I tend to use .035 with I think .045 tip at my last job that were AL. Will it work with and AL .045 tip? or should I look to mod it?? thanks
      Modify it you will be glad you did. You don't need an .045 tip to run .035 wire the .035 tip is plenty big enough. The tips are usually .010-.014 thou bigger than whats stamped on them. .030 tips will run .035 wire all day just fine i do it all the time...Bob
      Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
      http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

Hello,
        OK so how do I get the tube out of the gun, it looks like would have to open the plastic body to get to the nut that hold the inner tube in place, is that so. (I have never opened one up before.
        cheers

Comment

I modified mine and put the heavy duty barrel for a 3035 on it, works great
          "The only source of knowledge is experience." Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by scubajeep1 View Post
            Hello,
            OK so how do I get the tube out of the gun, it looks like would have to open the plastic body to get to the nut that hold the inner tube in place, is that so. (I have never opened one up before.
            cheers
            I think 4 or 5 screws to split the plastic case and then an open end wrench to get the barrel nut off. Then another screw to get the tube from the barrel...Bob
            Bob Wright

Comment

Made the Mod's

Miller 211 with Spoolmate 100. Never welded before but found this thread after melting numerous tips. Made the mods and the tip consumption has dropped significantly! Managed to get spray transfer and lay down the occasional decent looking weld.

Thanks Bob, great improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by Dak View Post
                Miller 211 with Spoolmate 100. Never welded before but found this thread after melting numerous tips. Made the mods and the tip consumption has dropped significantly!

Thanks Bob, great improvement.
                PERFECT and Welcome to the forum...Bob
                Bob Wright

Comment

Welcome to the forum Dak.
                  Lincoln A/C 225
                  Everlast PA200

Comment

DAK, what kind of gas are you using with a mm211 to get into spray transfer? Had one, sold it and moved up to a 252 partly for that ability... Steve

Comment

@ aametalmaster -- Hey Bob, what do you charge to make the upgrade?? I bought the Spoolmate 100 when I bought my Multimatic 200 a few months ago. Have not had an occasion to use it yet but sounds like your mod would prevent any problems before they ever get started.

Thanks,
                      Mike

Comment

Hey Bob, great idea! I'd be interested in having mine done too...

Comment

Originally posted by BukitCase View Post
                          DAK, what kind of gas are you using with a mm211 to get into spray transfer? Had one, sold it and moved up to a 252 partly for that ability... Steve
                          Straight Argon, welding 6061 Aluminum.

Comment

Originally posted by acwd1950 View Post
                            I got spoolmate 100 on a 211. No problems with the 211 but the spoolmate is a different story! After a short while of welding aluminum the wire burns to the tip. Usually on start or restart. I am using 4043 .030 wire. Tried a .035 tip, reduced weld time, and changed voltage and wire speed. Clipped the ball on the wire on every start or restart. Wire brushed the work with a stainless steel wire brush everytime. These tips are like 9 bucks for five around here and when you go through 1 or 2 tips a job it gets expensive. I tried different distances of stickout changed the argon flow. Around 20 cfh is what I have been running the flow. It dont matter what thickness of material I am welding it still does it. Any ideas? I read somewhere on the forum that another member made a adapter and is using different tips on his spoolmate 100? I am at a loss on this one!

Steve
                            Having the identical problem.

Comment

You guys PM me and your problems will be solved...Bob
                              Bob Wright

Comment

Bob I will send you a pm shortly. I was searching the internet for this issue and found this forum. Ive been through several tips since I got my spoolmate 100.

It seems to be worse if I use the settings shown in the chart on the welder. Millermatic 211. If I turn up the wire speed and lower the heat a little it seems to be less likely to burn a tip.

Comment

Working...
                                X