Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cataract surgery & resulting welding vision problems?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nitesky View Post
    OK, I have a question. Why is it that the distance remains the same but with age the need for a different diopter shows up? Used to use a 1.5, then a 2 and now a 2.5
    Thanks in advance for your reply
    The reason we require increases in the power of reading lenses is due to the gradual loss of focusing ability of the lenses in our eyes, which slowly become stiff, beginning in our 40's. Think of it as a trade-off with mother nature... most of us enjoy clear, sharp vision all of our lives, but lose the near auto-focus at middle age. When we attempt to focus from far to near the tiny muscles inside our eyes try to adjust the focus of the internal lenses, but since the lenses become stiff, they fail to respond... thus, we evolve to bifocals or readers.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodhand View Post
      The reason we require increases in the power of reading lenses is due to the gradual loss of focusing ability of the lenses in our eyes, which slowly become stiff, beginning in our 40's. Think of it as a trade-off with mother nature... most of us enjoy clear, sharp vision all of our lives, but lose the near auto-focus at middle age. When we attempt to focus from far to near the tiny muscles inside our eyes try to adjust the focus of the internal lenses, but since the lenses become stiff, they fail to respond... thus, we evolve to bifocals or readers.
      Don't I know this….turned 42 this year, had to get my first set of progressive lenses when I was 40. Now, I notice that it is hard to shift from near/far work - eyes just don't want to focus. Especially bad if I spend a few hours staring hard at the computer screen - can't get a clear bead on my welding work afterward.

It seems like a number of bodily functions change as we pass that magic big 4 - 0. I was a little alarmed at first, but hearing about issues from friends in their 60's+ tends to cheer me up a bit (for now).

Comment

Boy, talk about getting some great informative answers to a question!! Wow!

Anyways, 2 other things. First, my 3 month old auto-dark helmet decided to be obtuse and go dark all the time. Tried to make it work better and complained to vendor but finally with no good answers except a line of bull it sat on a shelf for 5 years. Couple of weeks ago I needed it so I tried again with the controls, changing all settings. It now is almost functional and it made quite a difference. Possibly you can adjust your settings or have someone else try out the helmet to make sure it's working right?

The other thing is certain Rx prescriptions & supplements can have a dramatic change on vision and light sensitivity. If you changed any of that [Rx] in any way maybe do some research to see if that could be contributing?

Comment

I had cataract surgery on the first eye August 11. Went from 20/80 to 20/20 overnight! Still need to schedule the next eye for a latter date, should be within the next month. So for now I still need to wear reading glasses. Only thing that changed for me is I had to go with one shade darker lens.

Comment

After my surgery, i found that my glasses missed the area about 24 inches from me. the bifocal was there closer and the eyeglasses picked up a foot or so beyond that. it was hard to weld or see sheet music on the stand in front of me, etc. i talked to the doctor and we ordered a different Rx to change the focal lenght. also ordered them in clear (no photogrey) as i would drop my helmet and I would be done welding before the lens could change to a lighter shade.

Comment

Did you ever try putting some shades under your helmet. Very light oxy/ ace cutting shade.? I dont need to do this, but a co-worker deos and it helps im somehow.

Comment

Working...
              X