Synchro 250 blowing breaker

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Synchro 250 blowing breaker

My Synchrowave 250 is plugged into a 50 amp circuit. The most I've cranked it up to is 150 amps AC. The funny thing is that the breaker never blows under load. It will trip while the fan is running and I'm not welding with it. It has blown with the machine dialed at 100 amps also.The prior owner, who was it's original, states he never ran it over 100 amps. I can't see him dealing with the breaker blowing all the time. He had it plugged into a 50 amp circuit as well. I'm thinking I have a bad breaker, but am I expecting something unrealistic from this machine on a 50 amp circuit?

Yes you are.
    Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
    Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
    Hobart HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
    Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
    PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
    Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
    Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
    More grinders than hands

Comment

Why would it trip the breaker when the fan is running and not under load? It would seem to me that if the circuit was inadequate, it would trip under load. Also, if I keep it at 150 amps max, is a 50 amp circuit really not enough?

Comment

If your machine has PFC it will draw a lot of amps at idle as well as welding. Not saying yours does but a possibility. Your breaker could be weak, the machine could be drawing more than normal for some reason, if your in an area with high heat right now the power coming in could be low due to demand. Could be many things as well as it should be on a minimum 100 amp circiut.
        MM250
        Trailblazer 250g
        22a feeder
        Lincoln ac/dc 225
        Victor O/A
        MM200 black face
        Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
        Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
        Arco roto-phase model M
        Vectrax 7x12 band saw
        Miller spectrum 875
        30a spoolgun w/wc-24
        Syncrowave 250
        RCCS-14

Comment

I'm thinking it has PFC. Also, my manual says the fan should only operate when needed. Can I remove the PFC and still use the machine? Is it easy to do?Also, if my machine lacks fan on demand, can I retrofit it?

Comment

Originally posted by Drf255 View Post
            I'm thinking it has PFC. Also, my manual says the fan should only operate when needed. Can I remove the PFC and still use the machine? Is it easy to do?Also, if my machine lacks fan on demand, can I retrofit it?

Unplug the machine and wait several minutes to insure the capacitors have dis-charged before proceeding.

Facing the machine, take the right side panel off. Inside you will find 4 capacitors about the size of tall beer. These are the PFC capacitors. Unplug, remove them and the wires to the capacitors and re-install the covers.

Consult Cruizer on the fan on demand question.

Griff

Comment

You got a machine that calls for 100A and you are feeding it 50,, whats the mystry? Also,,, verify the wire in this 50A circuit.

Comment

This machine is not plug and play, does not come with a factory plug. No cord, no recept. Easily has the potential to overload a electric circuit or service.

Comment

I got a monster,, the cord is undersized and I fudge a bit on the breaker but I am the user, its rare and limited, if I needed to today could wire it to full power if needed. This type of machine isn't for everyone. We have hobby types here working from 30A service, getting a suitable machine was cheaper than an upgrade.
                  I would get a big ole fat piece of wire, for a home shop the one the manual calls for would be fine and breaker of 100A, maybe even as low as 70, would have to look in my collection, I would be tempted to leave my existing 50 (after looking at wire size and making sure connections are tight) for standard equipment. It can be cord and plug connected but I also might be tempted to wire it straight to a breaker provided the panel was in the same location so it could be used as disconnect.

Comment

Originally posted by griff01 View Post
                    Unplug the machine and wait several minutes to insure the capacitors have dis-charged before proceeding. Facing the machine, take the right side panel off. Inside you will find 4 capacitors about the size of tall beer. These are the PFC capacitors. Unplug, remove them and the wires to the capacitors and re-install the covers.Consult Cruizer on the fan on demand question.Griff
                    That's it? No further connections needed?I'm sorry, who or what is Cruizer?
                    Originally posted by Sberry View Post
                    You got a machine that calls for 100A and you are feeding it 50,, whats the mystry? Also,,, verify the wire in this 50A circuit.
                    Originally posted by Sberry View Post
                    This machine is not plug and play, does not come with a factory plug. No cord, no recept. Easily has the potential to overload a electric circuit or service.
                    Yes. I'm a hobbyist who bought one machine to last a lifetime. I understand that it needs a bigger circuit, but I will never push this machine to it's capability. The prior owner Used it for 18 yrs on a 50 amp circuit without difficulty.

Comment

There could be several factors as to why the previous owner didnt have problems or the other way around. Even minor differences between breakers. How sturdy the service is, wire size, etc could have difference especially when the supply is so marginal anyway. As you said, the machine is meant to last you a lifetime, it would likely be worth the effort to insure the wiring is adequate vs limping it along. Get a number 6 wire and be good to go.

Comment

I believe removing the pfc adds to the demand????

Comment

PFC adds to the draw while at idle & lowers the draw while in use (as opposed to non PFC). Without it the draw at idle goes way down but during use it goes up. I believe with PFC you can use a 70 amp breaker. I have heard of people running these on 50 ampers & only using them at low amps. Maybe the PFC setup is pulling more than supposed to for some reason? Best to meter it while running to get an idea as to what it is pulling at idle & under load. Also check all your connections.
                          Last edited by MMW; 07-25-2011, 07:58 AM.
                          MM250
                          Trailblazer 250g
                          22a feeder
                          Lincoln ac/dc 225
                          Victor O/A
                          MM200 black face
                          Arco roto-phase model M
                          Vectrax 7x12 band saw
                          Miller spectrum 875
                          30a spoolgun w/wc-24
                          Syncrowave 250
                          RCCS-14

Comment

Just looked at the owners manual & it says with PFC it draws 49 amps at idle.
                            MM250
                            Trailblazer 250g
                            22a feeder
                            Lincoln ac/dc 225
                            Victor O/A
                            MM200 black face
                            Arco roto-phase model M
                            Vectrax 7x12 band saw
                            Miller spectrum 875
                            30a spoolgun w/wc-24
                            Syncrowave 250
                            RCCS-14

Comment

I just called the tech support hotline and cannot believe just how helpful they were. I removed the PFC for now. I'm interested in adding fan on demand. My machine a few years before it came out, and the conversion kit was discontinued in 2005.

Comment

Working...
                              X