Hitch plate for a dump truck

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hitch plate for a dump truck

Hey everybody, I am in need of some pro advice. I need to put a 3/4 to 1" hitch plate on my dump truck so I can mount a pintel hitch and need some help. Any one out there know if my Millermatic 211 will do the job as long as I bevel the edges and make a root pass and a couple more to fill the rest of the weld area?

Also I need some advice about the design so I do it right. Any help will be appreciated.

I will post some pictures to show you all what I am trying to do.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by rpberchtold; 07-23-2011, 09:45 PM. Reason: Misspelling

This isn't the project you want to learn on

Just buy one that slides in the receiver

http://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Ball...tle_Hitch.aspx
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Advice for a Novice

Originally posted by rpberchtold View Post
      Hey everybody, I am in need of some pro advice. I need to put a 3/4 to 1" hitch plate on my dump truck so I can mount a pintel hitch and need some help. Any one out there know if my Millermatic 211 will do the job as long as I bevel the edges and make a root pass and a couple more to fill the rest of the weld area?

Also I need some advice about the design so I do it right. Any help will be appreciated.

I will post some pictures to show you all what I am trying to do.
      This is a good one. Only difference, we've stepped up to a MM 211, instead of a MM 140.

If you drive this 10-wheeler, for a living, that means you have at least a Class-B CDL. Asking questions of this nature, makes me wonder how you got your license.

Familiarizing yourself with DOT/FHWA sec 393.70, would give you the overview as to what is required to tow a trailer SAFELY.

Specifications, regarding size and GVW of trailer were never mentioned in your post, so I would be the most leary following you down the road.

As Broc mentioned, there are APPROVED mounts available on the market, meeting DOT specs.

Comment

The maximum standard "pin hitch" is 14,000 lbs. I know this because I have put a lot of hitches on single axle dumps I can barely find hitches for it.

IMO this is not a mig project. This is a stick job that needs to be done right. I have put several hitches on dump trucks and since you suggest putting a 3/4"+ plate on, i will take that as you are not experienced to hitches.

How much weight do you expect to put on the hitch?
        Pintle or ball?

Remember that if your weld breaks, who will be behind you that the trailer could crash into?

Comment

I'm sure glad you included a picture. If I ever see this truck on the road I'll be a long way from it in a very short time. I love my 211 but also know it's limitations.

Comment

Not helpful at all!

I really can't believe the response's I've gotten so far. If all you can do is criticize please don't. I need some advice from some one who has experience, not some one who knows less than me. So far the only thing I have learned is a Millermatic 211 is not up to the task so I will use my stick welder, now lets move on.
            The plate is to attach the pintle hook to with the supplied bolts after the pintle hook plate has been welded to the frame. The weight being trailered will be around 19000 lbs with the combined weight of the trailer total around 30,000 lbs. The reason I even asked about the 211 was I prefer to use it when I can and a lot of the welding required to complete this project will be out of position, but for the purpose of the rest of this discussion lets all assume I will be using a stick machine. Now what else would be helpful for you all to know so you can help?
            The reason I am asking is unlike some that have responded, I don't know it all.

Comment

You not only don't "know it all".

YOU DON'T KNOW ENOUGH TO EVEN THINK ABOUT DOING THIS PROJECT YOURSELF.

Hire a qualified welder to do the job. Even you admitted that a lot of the welding will be out of position. Get someone that does it on a regular basis.

Oh, and I DO know what I'm talking about. Other posters were trying to be polite. That's not my modus operandi. You're in "over your head" on this one. A qualified welder would not need to ask if a 200A mig welder would do the job. He'd know it's not up to the task.
              Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
              Dynasty 200 DX
              Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
              Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
              Hobart HH187
              Dialarc 250 AC/DC
              Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
              Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
              PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
              Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
              Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
              More grinders than hands

Comment

I really can't believe the response's I've gotten so far. If all you can do is criticize please don't. I need some advice from some one who has experience, not some one who knows less than me. So far the only thing I have learned is a Millermatic 211 is not up to the task so I will use my stick welder, now lets move on.
                The plate is to attach the pintle hook to with the supplied bolts after the pintle hook plate has been welded to the frame. The weight being trailered will be around 19000 lbs with the combined weight of the trailer total around 30,000 lbs. The reason I even asked about the 211 was I prefer to use it when I can and a lot of the welding required to complete this project will be out of position, but for the purpose of the rest of this discussion lets all assume I will be using a stick machine. Now what else would be helpful for you all to know so you can help?
                It looks like you got lots of helpful replies.

The fact that you intend to pull 30,000 lbs, that you want to weld with your little short circuit wire welder, put up red flags in every other persons reply. Oh, that's right you have a stick welder.

You have the potential to kill innocent people if anything is overlooked or done
                poorly.

Think long and hard about that, you could KILL people...!...

-Ian
                :~ATTITUDE MAKES THE DIFFERENCE!!!:

Comment

I think this is a record. Post number two and he is already pissed off and screaming. I'd be even more impressed if in post #2 he were pissed and screaming at Sundown!
                  They are right, you are not up to the task on this one. Seek pro help. Sometimes ya just gotta pay to play.

Comment

I own Dump Trucks and wouldn't even consider this. I only work on the equipment that will not injure somebody else or property only myself or my own stuff my loss not somebody else.

Comment

MM211 will not do the job. I have done a number of these. An a/c buzz box is not the machine to do this either. I started to reply on how I would do it but realized I would have to type a lot & it most likely would not be clear anyway. Check out other trucks & pictures to get some ideas. If your located near me in NNJ I would help you out but this is not something to learn what works & what doesn't. I would use 1" plate. I'm sorry you got offended but when every reply is against you maybe you should think twice.
                      Last edited by MMW; 07-27-2011, 07:44 PM.
                      MM250
                      Trailblazer 250g
                      22a feeder
                      Lincoln ac/dc 225
                      Victor O/A
                      MM200 black face
                      Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
                      Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
                      Arco roto-phase model M
                      Vectrax 7x12 band saw
                      Miller spectrum 875
                      30a spoolgun w/wc-24
                      Syncrowave 250
                      RCCS-14

Comment

This is something that you can not be talked thru on the internet.I have installed many of what you are trying to do and i can tell you this it,s not a job for a hobby welder.Not to be mean or insult your skill level but someone could die if your welds fail.Just the hard fact of it my friend.
                        BB402D
                        TB300D
                        DIMENSION652
                        MM250X
                        MAXSTAR140
                        S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
                        HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Comment

If you can't believe the responses you are getting, I can't believe that you would say I'm connecting a hitch to a dump truck. Why would you use a dump truck to pull a 4-wheeler trailer anyway? That just seems like a waste of gas. Oh, that's right, you didn't specify what you were going to tow.

So don't get all pissy with us when you don't know what your asking. All you had to say was oh, I forgot to say all the information. So don't post if your going to criticize the people who "were" trying to help you.

Rules to making a dump truck hitch:

1) Nah, We "the helper outers" got criticized so forget this one <--- This one most people screw up and it happens on almost every first hitch install on a big truck
                          2) You figure it out <-- Also hard, and easy to screw up

Now I'll help

3) More passes doesn't mean a better hold, quality not quantity
                          4) Height of the hitch vs height of the pintle
                          5) Depth of hitch on truck compared to turning radius
                          6) Make sure #1 is triple checked
                          7) Safety chain and light connection placement, not really critical, but can be a PITA, Also refers to rule #1
                          Last edited by Country Metals; 07-25-2011, 08:38 AM.

Comment

Before even asking anyone anything about the job (even asking a "PRO" to do it), I'd check on the restrictions on welding that truck frame. Often these sorts of restrictions can be found in owners' manuals, manufacturer's websites, etc. MANY truck frames have restrictions on what and where can be welded and, if it CAN be welded, the methodology or technique if often spelled out pretty clearly....check it out, but generally the frame rails are the most "sensitive" areas and not the cross member at the rear where you apparently intend to weld.
                            Don J
                            Reno, NV

Never pick a fight with an old guy. Old guys are too smart to fight and get hurt. They'll just kill you and get it over with.

Comment

Don't be so discouraged. Yes, it is a major safety issue making sure that the hitch is secure to the truck frame. As for welding, you are safe welding anything behind the rear most spring shackle. The issues with welding the HS steel frames is not that the weld will not hold but weakening the frame around the welded area. We install several hundred hitch plates a year. I will post a couple pics of what a typical MD truck hitch plate looks like. 95% are welded in with Lincoln Power Mig 255's. The 1" are pushing it. LOL. You want the plate recessed into the frame, substantial gussets and any vertical welds have to be done uphill. Typical price would be $795 for a MD 3/4" plate. May be further ahead having someone do it.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01459.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	511948Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01460.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	511949
                              Campbell Hausfeld 110V MIG
                              Jo Ann Fabrics Hot Glue Gun

Comment

Working...