Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tig Torch Grip

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tig Torch Grip

I don't know if this is original or not-but I felt like I needed to contribute something! I stumbled across an inexpensive alternative grip for those who like a bulky non-slip handle on their 17-style tig torch. I often have to change processes mid-weld, and usually wear bulky stick gloves to keep from getting lit up. The new grip lets me feel the handle and is much more secure in my hand. I don't know anything about bikes (or tig torches for that matter) but it seems that most mountain bike handlebar grips fit perfectly (length & ID) over my 17 style torches.

Name:  4a46ef9fce31c100bcc73929bd3a56b6.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  52.2 KB
    Name:  2a14887235a54ef124b6202f3ed88ce9.jpg
Size:  50.0 KB

that is interesting but I usually wear Thin buckskin or goatskin gloves and like my grip to be as small and easy to maneuver as possible.... for me that would be a step in the wrong direction as it would degrade the precision and feel for me..
    Most of the time I use thin leather garden gloves from the hardware store or home center... when I do buy an official welding glove it would be something like a Tillman #24C

http://jtillman.com/products/gloves/tig/24c/

I would be looking to have a thinner smaller grip... but that is just me.... think when you get to a #9 or #20 torch you will like the thinner grip and glove much better... My hands are way to klutzy on the little stuff to further handicap myself with a thick grip and heavy gloves...

Comment

Originally posted by DMKeatts View Post
      I don't know if this is original or not-but I felt like I needed to contribute something! I stumbled across an inexpensive alternative grip for those who like a bulky non-slip handle on their 17-style tig torch. I often have to change processes mid-weld, and usually wear bulky stick gloves to keep from getting lit up. The new grip lets me feel the handle and is much more secure in my hand. I don't know anything about bikes (or tig torches for that matter) but it seems that most mountain bike handlebar grips fit perfectly (length & ID) over my 17 style torches.

Name:  4a46ef9fce31c100bcc73929bd3a56b6.jpg
Size:  52.2 KB
      Name:  2a14887235a54ef124b6202f3ed88ce9.jpg
Size:  50.0 KB
      How in the world do you tig with bulky gloves. Listen to what H80N has told you as it seems that you are just starting out in the welding field and don't know a lot about proper gloves and technique. Maybe thick bulky gloves work for some people but you would get a better feel with thinner gloves. Also what do you mean by you change processes in mid weld and don't want to get lit up.

Wheelchair
      Last edited by Wheelchair; 07-15-2011, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wheelchair View Post
        How in the world do you tig with bulky gloves. Listen to what H80N has told you as it seems that you are just starting out in the welding field and don't a lot about proper gloves and technique. Maybe thick bulky gloves work for some people but you would get a better feel with thinner gloves. Also what do you mean by you change processes in mid weld and don't want to get lit up.

Wheelchair
        I think he means that he stick welds and TIG welds in the same process...I am curious.

Comment

I am confused for sure. I can't think of any reason to use a large grip on a tig torch. I don't like a #17 torch because the bulk and lack of torch line flexibility. I'll go out of my way and run a #20 with a cooler just to use the smaller and more maneuverable torch.

Please elaborate on changing processes mid weld. I assume you are swapping to a stick SMAW or GMAW process, but don't know why? What's your application? Pictures would be nice.

HAWK

Comment

On critical pipe welds, and sometimes on gate tests, it is often the case that
            you have to tig in the root and hot pass, and then stick out the rest. When welding in position, stick welding with those thin tig gloves will get you burnt.

Comment

C

The 20 is nice for sure, but the 17v is the standard supplied by our contractors; I grip the torch at the very bottom of the handle, sometimes with just two fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by DMKeatts View Post
                On critical pipe welds, and sometimes on gate tests, it is often the case that
                you have to tig in the root and hot pass, and then stick out the rest. When welding in position, stick welding with those thin tig gloves will get you burnt.
                Old buddy you stated that you did not know much about tig torches in your original post and now you say you are welding critical x-rays. First let me tell you that the guys on this forum will be quick to offer you help but on the other hand they can spot in-expierience just as quick. When you get expierience you will find that you can weld stick on pipe or anything else and not get burnt if you wear tig gloves as a lot of us do and have done.

Good luck,
                Wheelchair

Comment

I have seen the bike grips before. I always used a water colled #26 torch so it was huge anyways. I tried the bike grip thing didnt like how it stuck to my gloves, couldnt walk the cup very well. As for the gloves if your tigging with heavy welding gloves your a better man than me. But i never switched, always just wore thinner gloves.

Comment

Definately thin gloves.I hold my torch depending on what heat I'm using.I tend to hold it way back near the end,for high heat,up tight for low.

Comment

I was simply offering a suggestion on something that helped me.

Comment

It is a good tip some people i have worked with liked it. How do you get over the grip being so flexiable though. that was another big problem i had with it.

Comment

DMKeatts,

Well. I've caught blue gill on bass hooks. However, it's a lot easier with a smaller hook. I could suggest using a 12/0 hook and tuna head for bluegill, but experience knows better... I find the same goes for TIG torches. A little finesse goes a long way. I am familair with tig in/stick out pipe welding and have always used my TIG gloves in/out.

Your posts seem to contradict experience. I rarely see burns from in position stick welds...From TIG torch handles to gate tests...Maybe...

HAWK

HAWK

Comment

As others have said, if your torch is getting that hot you may want to consider upgrading to a watercooled outfit. The only time my torch handle gets uncomfortably hot is when I'm welding aluminum on my WP17 or WP9 torch bodies. However I have never done stick so I cannot comment on that process.

About gloves.... I find that the Tillman TIG gloves burn or wear holes in no time. And they are expensive.

My preferred glove is the Tillman Truefit, model 1496. I have tried the "nicer" more expensive Truefit gloves but keep coming back to the "cheap" 1496. About $8 bucks a pair from various online stores.

Comment

Sometimes...

What I should have said to start is, I like a big thick glove on when I am stick welding overhead, or in 5g. Slag dropping down and pinning in between a tig glove and a pipe will cause a come-apart! You are spot on on the inexperienced part. Like I said, I have no choice but to learn to love the 17. Its just standard equipment here, and we don't supply our own tools by no means. I often will find a way to lean or prop my off hand on the pipe when in position. I'll throw a big 12 cup on my finger if I think about it.... the grip helped me get more roll, feel for the twist, I use jumbo 8 in my root and jumbo 10 out. 25cf, around 100 amp for carbon, 60 for stainless. Preach the teach.....

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.