No announcement yet.

so...i love my job!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I started my welding career in 1988 and have always loved welding, not always loved the people or the environment, but I have never gotten tired of trying to make every weld perfect!

My own little quote: Work is for losers that weren't lucky enough to be born rich!!!

Comment

Good for you man

That great man, it's cool that you get do this as a profession. I am a refueling mechanic now so they try to keep and welding as far away from us as possible for good reason. As a result I spend every spare dollar I have on metal. I do get a bit jealous of guys that get to earn a wage at this. Maybe in my next life after the millitary I will get it right and let someone else buy my metal.

Comment

I hear ya mate, its very satisfying.

I don't get to weld as a profession but I do pick up a few odd jobs and I like to volunteer for projects when someone is in need of something metal. Have been thinking of selling some furniture and other random items on the side.

Would love to one day get boilermaker trade papers but even at 25 I found it hard to get an apprenticeship- no time really to do a full time apprenticeship anymore, so I'll keep getting more welding certificates and keep making things out of my own pocket until i can fill in the gaps.

I worked for years in an office admin type job, not even as boring an admin job as they come and compared to physical work, fabricating and actually making something tangible at the end of it, office jobs to me are about as unsatisfying as it gets

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan27 View Post
          I am really enjoying the learning process with welding. I'm as new and green as they get. I'm a fairly accomplished wood worker and know enough about machine tools and how to use them that I can tackle the projects I would likely do. But, to me, welding is more of an art that is just going to take a lot of practice to master. I can design anything in wood and with math and carefull cutting and joining it will come out exactly as planned regardless of skill with a hammer. But with welding, you still have to have that "skill with your hammer", so to speak.
          Do not under estimate your skill with wood working. There is more skill to using a hammer than you my think. Ever seen someone swing a hammer that does not do it for a living? I find it funny, and often laugh at my self when i go to nail a board together and miss the nail as many times as i hit it. I am currenety remodeling my house and i could tell you how many times i cussed and wished houses were made of steel. All the trades are considered skilled labor for a reason, when i was younger and knew everything about anything i often laughed and thought how hard could it be. But after my first job as a welder i quikily realized that there is more than meets the eye. Now the older i get the i appreiate the skill involved with almost anything in the trades.
          Linclon power mig 350MP

Comment

Originally posted by jelias View Post
            Do not under estimate your skill with wood working. There is more skill to using a hammer than you my think. Ever seen someone swing a hammer that does not do it for a living? I find it funny, and often laugh at my self when i go to nail a board together and miss the nail as many times as i hit it. I am currenety remodeling my house and i could tell you how many times i cussed and wished houses were made of steel. All the trades are considered skilled labor for a reason, when i was younger and knew everything about anything i often laughed and thought how hard could it be. But after my first job as a welder i quikily realized that there is more than meets the eye. Now the older i get the i appreiate the skill involved with almost anything in the trades.

SOOOOOO true. I taught my boys to swing a hammer last summer when we built my shop together. I didn't realize that it was a learned skill until I saw them trying to put some nails in wood!!!

Each trade has a separate set of skills that you really NEED to do a good job (in addition to many shared skills).

Comment

Been welding all my life and I do it as a profession.
              I love what I do and I wouldn't rather do anything else.
              The "shine" has never worn off and every day is full of new challenges.
              I actually feel like I'm getting paid to go and have fun.
              Measure twice, cut ONCE............

MillerMatic 211
              MillerMatic 251
              Miller Dynasty 200 DX
              ESAB O/A Equipment

Comment

Originally posted by Rizz01 View Post
                Been welding all my life and I do it as a profession.
                I love what I do and I wouldn't rather do anything else.
                The "shine" has never worn off and every day is full of new challenges.
                I actually feel like I'm getting paid to go and have fun.
                Those are the best kinds of jobs to have :-)

Frank

Comment

I got lots of "fun" but no money, feel free to stop by.

Comment

Working...
                  X