Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Millermatic 30E---Dialarc HF Incompatibility---Spoolmatic II

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Millermatic 30E---Dialarc HF Incompatibility---Spoolmatic II

Just purchased a package deal of a Millermatic feeder/controller(30E) and a Dialarc High Freqency ARC/Tig welder. I wanted to upgrade to a 220 Volt MIG and liked the option to perform TIG capabilities as well.

The DialArc HF does NOT have a foot petal and only a partial setup for the TIG functionality. The 30E feeder seems to work great.

After some research I realize that the two units are incompatible; the DialARC HF is a constant current machine and the Millermatic needs a constant potential input.

I also have a Miller 180 AC/DC ARC welder that I have been useing for about five years and a 110 volt MIG with sheilded gas.

QUESTIONS/REQUESTED ADVICE:

I am wondering if it would be best to upgrade my 180 stick welder with the DialARC HF. I am sure that I would have to spend another 400 or so to purchase the foot petal and the TIG assembly for the dialarc. I realize that I would have to run a larger power supply (mine currently is a 40 AMP cabability) as I understand the DialARC demands a lot of input). I have the heavy guage wire, it would merely be a labor job to upgrade it.

I am also curious is the 30E has much value as it seems to be a decent design and from what I have read, they produced this unit for a bunch of years (60's-eary 80'). I am thinking it may be best to merely sell this then to locate and purchase a used base unit that is compatible.

And, I am trying to figure how this unit http://myweb.cableone.net/rschell/TIG_Miller.htm
    is hooked up. It is the exact same base unit that I have, but the spool gun (spoolmatic II) is different. I am assuming there is some sort of converter or controller that modifies the constant current.

Although I like the potential to TIG weld, my needs would be better served with a MIG setup.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Working...
X
Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.