Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Miller Elite Digital Hood and Cheater Lens?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miller Elite Digital Hood and Cheater Lens?

I have a miller elite digital welding shield and find myself needing to use a cheater lens. The Manuel boasts of convinute magnifying lens holder. the problem I'm having is due to the cheater lens mount being too narrow for the lens I've found and it mounts the lens .125' or so from the inside cover lens, .125 gap between, allowing condensation/fogging between cheater and inside cover lens. Is there a cheater lens designed for this helmet? thanks.
    Miller TrailBlazer 251NT
    Miller HF-250-1
    Miller Maxstar 150slt
    Miller ft peddles and thumb wheels
    Miller MM 212
    Lincoln power mig180c (two of)
    MM 252
    Miller Elite Dig
    Miller Pro-Hobby

I will never understand why people call call them cheater lenses. I think they should be called helper lenses. Anyway Miller does make helper lenses (http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...ccessories.pdf).

I have only welded in dry locations and am usually calm, cool and collected, but it seems to me that I have noticed a little condensation on occasion. I do like my helmet a great deal. When I first purchased it it seemed awfully flimsy to me, but it is holding together well, and I like the light weight.
    Last edited by smfcpacfp; 05-16-2011, 12:12 AM.

Comment

Mine mounts a plastic cheater nicely. Not sure if it can accommodate a glass lens (haven't tried).
      I don't get any more problems with it than I do with my Fibermetal Tigerhood.
      Gordie -- "I believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Comment

I've been using a digital elite for about 2 years now with Miller's plastic cheater lens in it. I use an anti-fog from the drug store that's intended for eye glasses. It seems to work pretty good, but I think it's mostly just glycerin.

Other than needing to remove the lens to clean both it and the inside face of the auto-dark lens and then re-apply the anti-fog I haven't needed to do any maintenance to it. Your cheater lens must not be the one that is supposed to be used with the digital elite.

Charley
        2 Miller Digital Elite and 3 Fixed Shade Helmets
        2 O/A torch sets
        DeWalt 18 volt 1/2" Driver/Drill
        DeWalt 18 volt 6 1/2" Metal Saw
        DeWalt Porta Band & SWAG Offroad V3 Table
        Milwaukee 8" Dry Cut Saw
        Milwaukee 14" Dry Cut Chop Saw / Delta Stand
        Milwaukee 9" Grinder
        2 Milwaukee 4 1/2" Grinders
        Milwaukee Hole Hawg 1/2" Drill
        Wallace 5 Ton Gantry
        Too many hand tools

Comment

Cheaters

When I bought the Digital Elite I ordered the "cheater" made for the helmet. I get no condensation and the lens is easy to install and remove. Makes cleaning a snap. Don't use a towel on the lens, get something real soft, otherwise you will scratch the lens and have to replace it, just like I had to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Hardrockshot View Post
            When I bought the Digital Elite I ordered the "cheater" made for the helmet. I get no condensation and the lens is easy to install and remove. Makes cleaning a snap. Don't use a towel on the lens, get something real soft, otherwise you will scratch the lens and have to replace it, just like I had to do.
            Did you order the cheater from the WS or over the net. I'm looking for a source to order the correct lens. Thanks
            Miller TrailBlazer 251NT
            Miller HF-250-1
            Miller Maxstar 150slt
            Miller MM 212
            MM 252
            Miller Elite Dig
            Miller Pro-Hobby

Comment

Originally posted by CharleyL View Post
              I've been using a digital elite for about 2 years now with Miller's plastic cheater lens in it. I use an anti-fog from the drug store that's intended for eye glasses. It seems to work pretty good, but I think it's mostly just glycerin.

Other than needing to remove the lens to clean both it and the inside face of the auto-dark lens and then re-apply the anti-fog I haven't needed to do any maintenance to it. Your cheater lens must not be the one that is supposed to be used with the digital elite.

Charley
              Yep, you nailed it.....The reason for this thread. I'm trying to find information on the correct cheater and where to purchase.
              Miller TrailBlazer 251NT
              Miller HF-250-1
              Miller Maxstar 150slt
              Miller MM 212
              MM 252
              Miller Elite Dig
              Miller Pro-Hobby

Comment

I just use a normal glass cheater with plastic frame in mine for the past year and a half or so. It`s a little snug to get in but it never moves Glass seems to last longer than plastic for me cause they don`t get scratched up.Tried a Miller brand the first time but since they cost more and don`t fill the oversize window, I didn`t buy any more of them. What is the sense of making the large window and only supplying small cheaters that don`t allow you to take advantage of the window size?! Sounds like some brain wave an engineer would come up with

Comment

I have a Miller elite Have been using plastic Cheaters Lenses But every time I raise my helmet I have to put my glasses on So readjusted headgear forward now I can use my wearing cheaters

Comment

Best "Cheaters"

I've used these for years:

They are better than the inserts in your hood cause you still have safety glasses on when you flip your hood up and you can still see clearly. They are very comfortable, durable and offer great protection. I can't recommend them highly enough.
                    Miller Syncrowave 200
                    Homemade Water Cooler
                    130XP MIG
                    Spectrum 375
                    60 year old Logan Lathe
                    Select Machine and Tool Mill
                    More stuff than I can keep track of..

Comment

I got the cheaters from LWS.

Comment

Originally posted by Shep View Post
                        I just use a normal glass cheater with plastic frame in mine for the past year and a half or so. It`s a little snug to get in but it never moves Glass seems to last longer than plastic for me cause they don`t get scratched up.Tried a Miller brand the first time but since they cost more and don`t fill the oversize window, I didn`t buy any more of them. What is the sense of making the large window and only supplying small cheaters that don`t allow you to take advantage of the window size?! Sounds like some brain wave an engineer would come up with
                        Shep, if I'm understanding your reply post correctly your are using a cheater lens that is the size of the helment window, 3.25 x 2.5? If so, where do you purchase them?
                        Miller TrailBlazer 251NT
                        Miller HF-250-1
                        Miller Maxstar 150slt
                        Miller MM 212
                        MM 252
                        Miller Elite Dig
                        Miller Pro-Hobby

Comment

No, the lense I use is just a regular size one. The 2 glass lenses are set in a plastic frame that is a little thicker than plastic cheaters. Makes it a little tight to get them in place. My point was that I use them because they are cheaper than Miller`s lenses and they don`t get scratched up from the dust and grit. If someone (Miller for example) were to make something the same size as the digital elite window, I would use them instead, as I really like the large window but it is of no use to me with only small cheaters available.

Comment

Working...
                          X