Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ao weld cool cobalt blue lens

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks...

...sounds good.

Comment

Not to sound stupid here but what's the deal on the blue lens? I know I can only see using a gold lens so I realize shade does have a lot to do with seeing the puddle. What's the deal with the blue compared to a gold lens. I may need to go on the search myself

Comment

@gunner: u dont sound stupid lol. u basically answered ur own question... its all about the puddle. with the blue lens you can see remarkably clear! the detail is amazing, you can see your puddle forming perfectly... thats y we like it atleast! I would suggest trying to find one, itll only help you on your journey to becoming a better welder

Comment

So what is it I'm searching for? With my eyes getting worse by the day it seems I have noticed that my trusted Gold lens does not provide me the edge it once did. I wasn't aware there was anything else. One question.... If they are so much better why isn't someone making them? From the sounds of it they would sell like hot cakes! I'm old school and still use a Huntsman 451P hood. I've never really used an electronic hood that I liked which is not to say there's not some good ones out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunner12R View Post
            So what is it I'm searching for? With my eyes getting worse by the day it seems I have noticed that my trusted Gold lens does not provide me the edge it once did. I wasn't aware there was anything else. One question.... If they are so much better why isn't someone making them? From the sounds of it they would sell like hot cakes! I'm old school and still use a Huntsman 451P hood. I've never really used an electronic hood that I liked which is not to say there's not some good ones out there.
            The old American Optical Weld-Cool Cobalt blue filter was crystaline and extremely clear and cut out the glare. They were discontinued years ago, so good luck on finding one that is not broken. The new Sellstrom cobalt blue is plastic, and reasonable in price. They are recommended for oxy-gas welding only, where as the OA was true weldor gear.

For me the next best thing is the gold filter. Autodarks don't give me the clarity I want. But over the years I have relied on cheaters. #2 in the hood, and when doing close up work, I wear #2 reading glasses under that.

Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by shovelon View Post
              The old American Optical Weld-Cool Cobalt blue filter was crystaline and extremely clear and cut out the glare. They were discontinued years ago, so good luck on finding one that is not broken. The new Sellstrom cobalt blue is plastic, and reasonable in price. They are recommended for oxy-gas welding only, where as the OA was true weldor gear.

For me the next best thing is the gold filter. Autodarks don't give me the clarity I want. But over the years I have relied on cheaters. #2 in the hood, and when doing close up work, I wear #2 reading glasses under that.

Good Luck
              Figures this is not the first time I was the last to know about something that would make my life a lot better.LOL !!! The Automatic hoods simply do not work in the environment I work in. Working inside of race car chassis where you are constantly moving your head to see around tubing causes you to sometimes position the hood where there's a tube right in between the sensor and the arc and guess what? You got it ------------> the hood opens up and you're BLIND as a bat! I think they are great for production work but for someone that has to crawl in, under, and around all sorts of obstacles they are expensive junk. I tickles me when I see the younger generation of welders looking at my paper 451P hood like it's some cheap beginners hood. I will say since Jackson bought out Huntsman the hoods have been cheapened A LOT! I have both old original 451P hoods and new ones since Jackson took over and the new ones aren't an improvement! The headgear is JUNK

Comment

Originally posted by Gunner12R View Post
                Figures this is not the first time I was the last to know about something that would make my life a lot better.LOL !!! The Automatic hoods simply do not work in the environment I work in. Working inside of race car chassis where you are constantly moving your head to see around tubing causes you to sometimes position the hood where there's a tube right in between the sensor and the arc and guess what? You got it ------------> the hood opens up and you're BLIND as a bat! I think they are great for production work but for someone that has to crawl in, under, and around all sorts of obstacles they are expensive junk. I tickles me when I see the younger generation of welders looking at my paper 451P hood like it's some cheap beginners hood. I will say since Jackson bought out Huntsman the hoods have been cheapened A LOT! I have both old original 451P hoods and new ones since Jackson took over and the new ones aren't an improvement! The headgear is JUNK
                All of my hoods are "paper" Huntsman save on Miller with a coolband on it, and I too have seen them get cheaper. They still work though for me. The Miller with the grinder in the ratchet, is, well, dumb. Huntsman/Jackson does not make the 711p anymore, and the 411p may not be with us too longer I fear. Looks like they may be on clearout at ENCO for $44.
                http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...S_010=404-1527

Comment

SOLD
                  If anyone is still looking I dug out 2 #10 gold glass weld cool plates I have been packing around for a few years, no chips or scratiches one in the sleeve.
                  Also have 3 plastic gold lenses 1 #10 & 2 #12 new in plastic.
                  PM me if interested & I will get back to you.
                  I retired from the trade sometime back and have went to auto hood and a poly gold large filter because of my trifocals. Old age is the pits
                  If no one is interested I will list them on Fleabay
                  Bill in SE Idaho tater fields
                  With the proper motivation & given enough time anything can be fixed
                  The lenses are as new NO BLEMISHES AT ALL sept for fingerprints
                  just listed on fleabay item #181002776892
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by bvd1940; 10-25-2012, 05:13 PM. Reason: pics FLEABAY NUMBER

Comment

AO safety weld cool lens

I have a slightly used weld cool blue lens shade #10 for sale. I don't use it that much and I'm trying to buy a long range scope for one of my rifles so I might part with it for the right price or trade for a good long range scope or .308 amo. Just thought I would try

Comment

@ BVD1940 Are you still looking to sell any of your weld cool lenses? I am just a student, but I can definitely put one of those to good use if I can afford it

or @TigMan30
                      Perhaps you may still be selling?

Comment

Forum Terms

We ask that forum members don't use the forum for buying or selling product or services and those types of transaction and communication be done offline. See our terms of service for a full explanation.

http://www.millerwelds.com/about/terms.html#q

Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.