Stick Welding Thin Steel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stick Welding Thin Steel

Many times, I have difficulty stick welding thin steel/sheet metal without burning a hole in it. While I realize tat MIG or TIG would be better, are there any tips/tricks that result in an acceptable stick weld of this material?
    Bill

Miller Bobcat 225

Use the smallest dia rods you can find like 1/16" rods...Bob
    Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

Use a chill bar behind the sheet metal to help disperse the excess heat?

Comment

Small diameter rod...low amps...use another rod with the flux knocked off as filler rod....6011 works good....Good Luck

Comment

yea i would use a cleaned off rod with no flux and just let it build up in there . when welding on really thin stuff with a mig we would hold a soap stone behing the butt and weld it up.i never used a soap stone with stick rods though so i don't know if it would work the same.also if it's that thin did you give any thoughts to brazing it with some brass brazing rods?

Comment

Originally posted by bayweld View Post
            Small diameter rod...low amps...use another rod with the flux knocked off as filler rod....6011 works good....Good Luck
            Good advice from from the above posters! I'd like to add: I agree the 6011 is a good choice. 6013's also work well and (7014 is good if in position). Check MFG recommendation for polarity: I recall 7014's have less penetration running DCEP.

Good Luck

HAWK

Comment

3/32" 6011 in the stinger set @ 60-90 amps, 1/8" 6011 (no flux) as the fill rod. Dip the fill rod like you were tigging or if welding flat lay the bare rod flat & run over the top of it, amperage has to be correct (high enough) to get it to work right.
              Miller Trailblazer's ( 2 )...MillerBobcat 250...Millermatic 251's ( 2 )...Miller Syncrowave 200...Miller Syncrowave 180SD...Miller 12VS Suitcases ( 2 )... Hobart Hefty CC/CV Suitcases ( 2 )...Miller 30A Spool Guns ( 2 )...Miller WC 15A Control boxes ( 2 )...Thermo Dynamics Cutmaster 50 Plasma Cutters ( 2 )...Thermo Arc Hi Freq Units ( 2 )...Smith / Victor O/A Sets...DeWalt Power Tools...Craftsman / Snap On Hand Tools... Two Dodge Mobile Rigs

Comment

7018 on straight polarity works good too, but not as well.

Comment

My mainstay is 3/32 6011/6010 run DCEN in the 55-60a range for 18-16ga.
                  Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
                  '06 12RC feeder
                  Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
                  Esab Multimaster 260
                  Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

Originally posted by bayweld View Post
                    small diameter rod...low amps...use another rod with the flux knocked off as filler rod....6011 works good....good luck
                    o i do agree but for me personally e6011 1/8 rods have been a nightmare for me as far as my current class goes i have struggled with it for months please any tips or tricks or what have you would be greatley appericated

Comment

E6011 dc-

Originally posted by DDA52 View Post
                      My mainstay is 3/32 6011/6010 run DCEN in the 55-60a range for 18-16ga.
                      I second that...use to weld a lot of sheet fabs for smoke stacks and
                      screening plants. If you don't have a DC welder...find a 3/32 6011 for small AC welders {lincoln 180, hob 6011, Murex 6011LV they are all brick red in color] and able to turn down the AC low for sheet metal.

Comment

3/32" 6013 may work best

Reading that you only have a Bobcat 225 listed, you will not be able to turn it down enough to run 1/16" rods. 3/32" 6013 using negative polarity works for sheetmetal. Maybe 13 gauge and thicker, put the rod(machine) back in DC positive. If you can put the steel vertical then weld it downhand.

Comment

Thanks for all the tips. The last repair was on bale keeper and I ran a 1/8" 6013 at about 70 amps on DCEN. I'll try the smaller 6013 next time and the defluxed 6011 fill rod method.
                          Bill

Miller Bobcat 225

Comment

Try to keep the shortest arc length you can without stickin it, like already said, lowerin the amps will help with this.

Comment

It don't matter if you use 6010 for a filler once the flux is smacked off.

I use 6010/6011 for thin sheet metal. Heat and establish a puddle, move along your welding direction far enough to allow the puddle to freeze (keep moving. only pause at the puddle) and then move back to establish a puddle in the crater.
                              Out, keep moving; in and pause; repeat as necessary.

Had a welder show me that years ago and I threw the thin 6013 in the garbage because I am now a convert. Our Tin Shop at the paper mill I used to work at only used 6010 rods.
                              Why, you might ask? Cause 6013 grows legs and is too expensive to keep stocked.
                              Gordie -- "I believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Comment

Working...
                              X