Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mig guns

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mig guns

Anyone try a Bernard Q gun inplace of a M25?

Anybody tried a search for Bernard Q Guns?

MUCH has been discussed, to include converting an M25 to Bernard front end consumables.

Comment

Right Stuff

Hey guys,

Miller makes some nice GMAW guns. I have been using a 450 amp gun for years (20+). However, Bernard has the RIGHT STUFF in their Q series. Check out their link. It can be hard to locate sometimes: http://www.bernardwelds.com/service/specs.html
      Last edited by HAWK; 03-26-2011, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Working at the moment

Well,

The Bernard site seems to fade in and out. I think it has something to do with loading Adobe Acrobat Reader. It has been this way for several years. I have had many a discussion with sales reps in hopes of getting word back to a Bernard tech in the right place. Oh well. It is still a GREAT product!
        Last edited by HAWK; 03-26-2011, 05:03 PM. Reason: Punctiation probs.

Comment

Originally posted by SundownIII View Post
          Anybody tried a search for Bernard Q Guns?

MUCH has been discussed, to include converting an M25 to Bernard front end consumables.
          I have never tried converting a Miller gun to the Bernard front end guts, but I don't think it hurts to have at least a "few" extra guns in the shop. I always leave extra guns ready to weld on the truck. Good paying customers should not have to pay for down time, but... I have never had a Bernard or Miller gun go down-maybe a contact tip here and there. Just regular maintenance-of course.

Comment

I have not tried the smaller qguns but I do have a q400 That I use regularly and I like it way better than the Tweco`s I have used for years. I think it is more comfortable. The tips last longer and the gas difuser also because there are no threads to gall up or wear out. The only downside is that the tip stick out is not adjustable aside form either grinding a nozzle down or buying an assortment of tips and nozzles. I tend to run flush all the time anyway so it is not too big a deal for me. Anyway, I like the Bernards better than any others I have used overall.

Comment

We have an assortment of leads at our shop, a few magnums, a couple miller rough necks, and mostly bernards. All the guns are converted to bernard center fire style. We have very little problems with them. I replace the tip when i run a roll of wire out and it burns into the tip, but that is normally the only time i have to replace it. They recently changed the nozzle design the insulation does not come as far out so when you clean it it does not get tore up making the nozzles last longer. as far as gun style i like the the rough neck c series it is slimer than the bernards. Both seem to hold up very well. most of our leads are going on six years old being drug around on a suit case in and out of tanks. so they take a beating. The magnums do not seem to hold up as well. I do not like them much at all. But i would say if your thinking of going to bernards you would not be disapointed, or at least bernard consumables.

Comment

Hmmmm I must get busy making an adapter to mount my centerfire to my old Millermatic 35. Hearing all of the good reviews about the centerfires only makes me want to get using mine all the more. Now if I could only figure out how to invent time, time to make the adapter is hard for me to come by.

Comment

Busy !

Originally posted by Blondie_486 View Post
                  Hmmmm I must get busy making an adapter to mount my centerfire to my old Millermatic 35. Hearing all of the good reviews about the centerfires only makes me want to get using mine all the more. Now if I could only figure out how to invent time, time to make the adapter is hard for me to come by.
                  Blondie;

Busy is good, It sure beats Not being busy . lol .

.........Norm

Comment

Check your LWS we go through gts/welco for everything and they were able to come up with a conversion for all of our guns.

Comment

Originally posted by nfinch86 View Post
                      Blondie;

Busy is good, It sure beats Not being busy . lol .

.........Norm
                      Yes Norm it sure does! Better than last year at this time wondering where the next job was coming from. I hope you're busy as well and I hope all the guys/gals on this forum are busy enough to keep the bills paid.

Comment

Originally posted by jelias View Post
                        Check your LWS we go through gts/welco for everything and they were able to come up with a conversion for all of our guns.
                        I've already been that route. The problem is I have an old machine which makes the search difficult. My welding supplier has tried everyone including Miller and no one makes an adapter to convert the new style Miller guns to the old Millermatic 35's. I have a machine shop and have access to CNC machines, I just don't have time to sit down and draw what I need so I can either make it or have it made yet.

Comment

If you can't convert easy, go on EBay

I picked up a 15' Q300 Bernard gun on EBay for $100.00 last summer. If you can easily convert an old gun on an older machine, then just get a whole new gun. As long as it has the Miller End on it, it should hook up. The Q300 was a nice upgrade to the MM200.

The biggest problem I have had with the Q300 is finding some replacement parts online and at the LWS. I found nozzels at one source online and the CenterFire Tips at another online source. My biggest problem has been trying to find the Jump Liners for the gun. Few if any online have the jump liners available as SINGLES, most only will sell in sets of 5 or 10. My LWS is doing the same thing too. I don't weld 24/7 and a set of 10 Tips will last me for years. The same can be said for the liner and jump liner in the gun. I have 2 of the 3545 Jump Liners but am having trouble finding the 2330 jump liners. AirGas will sell me 10 but I don't need that many.

Comment

My welding supplier has tried everyone including Miller and no one makes an adapter to convert the new style Miller guns to the old Millermatic 35's.
                            All is not lost. http://weldmart.com/migguns/migguns.htm ...Bob
                            http://www.weldmart.com/store/Miller35miggun.htm

Comment

I converted my M25 to a Bernard Centerfire front end and it works great. Bernard has a kit that makes the conversion. Call them for details.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.