Jet HVBS-7MW, 7"x12" bandsaw

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jet HVBS-7MW, 7"x12" bandsaw

Anybody using one of these saws? http://www.jettools.com/us/manufactu...product=273683 I'm looking for something in this price range with this capacity. Mostly for (carbon) tube angle cuts, mostly 1" up to 2 1/2". Its not going to see a huge amount of use, but I want something that will do the job, and with regular maintenance keep doing a good job. We have a (what was a real nice) Dake at work, but some of the guys that dont have a clue have it pretty well trashed.
    I know its (Jet) not made in USA, nothing in this price range is.
    Ive been doing some research, and I keep coming back to this saw.
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks, Jim
    MM211
    Cutmaster 52
    1953 Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln 225 AC
    Spoolmate 200
    Smith oxy/ace
    Ancient Peerless-
    6X6 drawcut hacksaw

I have a Vectrax 712 which looks identical except it has the geared head vs. the belt drive. Works good for me. Had to spend some time setting it up to cut straight. If I was doing a lot of angle cuts I would look for one with an angling head.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Comment

I bought the equivalant saw from Busy Bee Tools (Canada) which is a Craftex brand. I have seen a lot of these saws that are branded differently and they all look the same. I am really happy with mine. I took the time to set it up properly and the cuts are staight and square enough for me. The blade it came with is cheap and when I wore it out I replaced it with a bi-metal. If you are interested in my review I had posted the info on my blog awhile back. You can view it here;

http://gordsgarage.wordpress.com/201...haved-my-head/

Gord
      Last edited by gordsgarage; 03-26-2011, 09:33 PM.
      http://gordsgarage.wordpress.com

Comment

I have the Jet and have been happy. It has cut a lot of metal for about 10 years now
        Nick
        Miller 252 Mig
        Miller Cricket XL
        Millermatic 150 Mig
        Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
        2-O/A outfits
        Jet Lathe and Mill
        Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
        DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
        Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
        20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
        Propane Forge
        60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
        Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
        and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Comment

Ellis

Ellis makes a series of saws from small to big. The best part of their saw is it will angle both ways to 60*.
          Good Luck,
          Bob
          Millermatic 252 w/30A
          Big Blue Air Pak
          Ellis 3000 Band Saw
          Trailblazer 302 Air Pak w/ Wireless Remote
          8-RC
          Dynasty 200 DX
          XMT 350 MPa w/S-74 MPa Plus
          Millermatic 211
          Passport Plus
          Spectrum 625 X-TREME
          Lincoln SA-200 Blue Tint Red Face '63
          2-Lincoln SA-200 Red Face '68
          SA-200 Black Face '59
          SA-200 Green Lite '84
          SA-200 Green Lite '80
          SA-200 Red Face '69
          SA-200 Red Face '66
          SA-200 Green Lite '81
          '70 Black Face Round Barrel

Comment

I have that very saw. I have used it alot for 8 or 9 years with out any problems. It cuts great and is accurate once you get it zero'd in. I agree with MMW, it is a pain to set up to make a miter cut. I have used an Ellis saw quite a bit also and when I get a chance I will be upgrading to one for myself.

Comment

Look at the Grizzly G0613 & G0614 for swivel heads. I don't know how they are but this is the type I'm talking about.

Whichever one you get buy some good bi-metal blades right away as the stock blades aren't good.
              MM250
              Trailblazer 250g
              22a feeder
              Lincoln ac/dc 225
              Victor O/A
              MM200 black face
              Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
              Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
              Arco roto-phase model M
              Vectrax 7x12 band saw
              Miller spectrum 875
              30a spoolgun w/wc-24
              Syncrowave 250
              RCCS-14

Comment

We had an Ellis saw the last place I worked, and it was awesome. Its been over 9yrs since I was there, but if I remember right it was like a ?x14 or maybe a 16. I dont remember it being too difficult to change 90 to 45. I know it came with a big $ tag, and for that I hadnt looked at them, but I will.
                My uncle said they bought a cheap little $400 or $500 saw years back (dont remember which one) and he said they made 5k or 6k cuts with it and it worked great. He said to get it set up right and maintain it and get good blades as well.
                MM211
                Cutmaster 52
                1953 Lincoln SA 200
                Lincoln 225 AC
                Spoolmate 200
                Smith oxy/ace
                Ancient Peerless-
                6X6 drawcut hacksaw

Comment

If you are going to look at an Ellis, call Ellis direct. I think you can buy direct from them and they will deal a little on the price. We had one where I used to work and thats what I did. Maybe they will still do it?? Just a thought.

Comment

Is there a huge difference in cut quality between 1/2" and 3/4" blades? Especially in something as small as a 2" or 3" tube?
                    Thanks,
                    MM211
                    Cutmaster 52
                    1953 Lincoln SA 200
                    Lincoln 225 AC
                    Spoolmate 200
                    Smith oxy/ace
                    Ancient Peerless-
                    6X6 drawcut hacksaw

Comment

Tizzy those saws are made by two different manufacturers and painted to suit the buyers. One plant is in Taiwan and the other is in china. The HF model is on sale for 199.00 and you can add a 20% off coupon to that and end up about 165 bucks out the door. Once you get it home follow the tune and true/set up instructions on the 4X6 yahoo group and get a couple of good bi-metal blades and have at it. I have had my 4X6 for about 6 years and am currently still trying to wear out the third or fourth blade. Definately worth the money and the little bit o time I spent getting it trued up and adjusted.
                      Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Rbeckett View Post
                        Tizzy those saws are made by two different manufacturers and painted to suit the buyers. One plant is in Taiwan and the other is in china. The HF model is on sale for 199.00 and you can add a 20% off coupon to that and end up about 165 bucks out the door. Once you get it home follow the tune and true/set up instructions on the 4X6 yahoo group and get a couple of good bi-metal blades and have at it. I have had my 4X6 for about 6 years and am currently still trying to wear out the third or fourth blade. Definately worth the money and the little bit o time I spent getting it trued up and adjusted.
                        Bob
                        the post is about a 7X12, not a 4X6 saw.... I've got a Jet 4x6... no complaints on my end...
                        Bobcat 225NT
                        Cutmaster 52
                        Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 buzz box
                        Caterpillar TH63
                        '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

Comment

I am liking the Ellis', but not sure of the size yet...or price. Does blade width, or in this case height, make a huge difference in cut quality? Their 1/2" blade machine cuts a 8" round at 90 and a 6" round at 45. Thats way bigger than some of the 3/4 or 1" blade machines I have looked at. Does cut quality or squareness suffer with a smaller blade?
                          Thanks, Jim
                          MM211
                          Cutmaster 52
                          1953 Lincoln SA 200
                          Lincoln 225 AC
                          Spoolmate 200
                          Smith oxy/ace
                          Ancient Peerless-
                          6X6 drawcut hacksaw

Comment

A review for this saw http://www.jettools.com/us/manufactu...product=273683 would be helpful as I have my eye on this one. I am also considering Trajan saws from www.utilitybandsaw.com .

Comment

Blade height is a big issue for cutting. I have used a northern tool 9"x 12" or whatever it was and now I found a kalamazoo H9AW in a garage and stole it for $1,000. Take for example a porta band blade, if you put too much downward force on it, the blade will bend even if the guides are close. A 3/4" blade won't bend as easily. I tell everyone to get the biggest blade you can get. Your cuts will agree with the decision.

Comment

Working...
                              X