Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

pipe stands

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pipe stands

i am looking to buy some new pipestands. i was looking at the GRB brand, but i got a real good quote on one made by javelin industrial. i have looked at them, and they are quite a bit heavier than the blue ones, are they built better? has anybody used either or both brands?likes or dislikes?

I have bought 12 of these in the last 3 months.

http://www.industrialladder.com/sear...&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

They work real nice and have a big "fat" base so they don't fall over. I highly recommend. Just now when I got the link for you, I see they went up considerably in price. In January I paid $105 for the vee head and $116 for the roller. Maybe they will still honor that price if you ask nice. I am in Manitoba so I got them shipped to a depot in North Dakota and brought them across myself. Welder's Supplies quoted me $355 for these Sumner's!

Comment

Not as heavy as the Javelin model, but the price it right.
      http://www.realcheaptools.com/page/page/788487.htm

Comment

i have sumners now, the bases are not real wide,and the rollers heads are not very good. pipe is constantly trying to walk off the stands and fall on you. looking for a better all around stand

Comment

I know what you mean

Originally posted by blackbeard's welding View Post
          i have sumners now, the bases are not real wide,and the rollers heads are not very good. pipe is constantly trying to walk off the stands and fall on you. looking for a better all around stand
          I have the Sumner pipe stands, and had 20' joint of 16" sch 80 walk off the stands and hit the ground, crushed one leg of the stand and the ground clamp for the plasma.
          That's when I realized the roller heads had to be parallel to each other and square to the pipe.
          So now I have a 2 and half legged Sumner light stand.
          Good Luck,
          Bob

Comment

Do yourself a favorite! Toss those summners out of your truck at 140! They should be banned for all work sites!! I have 4as well, I use them for hanging things off them for when I want to paint stuff!

I have the blue ones, both the big ones and the little tiny ones! They work great! I haven't used the red ones so not sure what they are like, my blue ones have a pinky finger stamp for weight and have been asked for the stamp number when fab pipe! Not saying you will be asked but it might be something to look at.

it's so flat in sask I didn't think you boys had problems with pipe walking off your stands....lol

Comment

Are yours Fat Jacks, or the standard base Sumner's?

Comment

i have the standard sumners. and yes it is flat in sask(i am 8 miles from alberta border, and it is not too flat here).mind you alberta has places just as flat.lol.
                the blue or red ones would be better than i have now.on an exact comparison between the two there is 250 bones difference for 4. not sure how warranty or service differs between them though.

Comment

i have the standard sumners. and yes it is flat in sask(i am 8 miles from alberta border, and it is not too flat here).mind you alberta has places just as flat.lol.
                  the blue or red ones would be better than i have now.on an exact comparison between the two there is 250 bones difference for 4. not sure how warranty or service differs between them though.
                  I think both stands are made in Edmonton. As far as if one is stronger then the other I am not sure, the blue ones have always stood up for the jobs I have done! So maybe it boils down to what you want to spend and then color! Really and truely if you look at the stand it looks pretty easy yo build BUT it it seems like alot of pi$$n around with little pices! I did see the red ones have one stand that holds a chuck all the heads and the wheel for fabn pipe! Looks slick but it looked kind of unsteady, but I didn't weld with, just looked at it in the liquid air place in Calgary.

What you should do is buy 6 of each and then tell us what works the best for when we have to buy some!

Comment

if you loan me 6 grand i will buy six of each and try them out. LOL.
                    that was something else that caught my attention, was the different attachments the red ones offer

Comment

Doesn't anyone make their own pipe stands or roller stands any more??

Comment

Economy of Scale

Originally posted by bayweld View Post
                        Making your own stands is a source of pride and showing your skills if you come up with something that no one else makes or offers. However, what is your time worth? Do you have the time and all the equipment to make the ulimate stands?

Case in point. I do have a welding project for myself in which I will use 4 recently purchased Blackjack Jack Stands. When I found these stands, they were marked $55.00 USD. Stands like this I have found online or elsewhere from $95.00 to $199.00. These were a steal. These were the last ones Airgas Lubbock had in stock and they wanted to get them out of inventory. They actually sold them to me for $52.50 each because I bought some other supplies as well. What I paid for the stands would not have covered the cost of buying the matierals to make them myself let alone finding the time to cut out all the pieces and welding them together. Again, this begs the question, "What is your time worth?" Sometimes its more economical to purchase something readybuilt for your needs instead of building it yourself. Besides, the guy who built my stands, that is his business, making stands for others so they can get on with doing their own jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by bayweld View Post
                          As was mentioned in an earlier post some sites will ask you what the weight rating is... that means engineered weight rating. It's WAY too expensive to get an engineers stamp on your design just so you can spend YOUR time building stands that are engineered, built and cost WAY less than your going to end up spending.

Like Fluke said, let the stand guys build stands, that's THEIR business.

Comment

Originally posted by c wagner View Post
                            As was mentioned in an earlier post some sites will ask you what the weight rating is... that means engineered weight rating. It's WAY too expensive to get an engineers stamp on your design just so you can spend YOUR time building stands that are engineered, built and cost WAY less than your going to end up spending.

Like Fluke said, let the stand guys build stands, that's THEIR business.

Well said guys! By the time I drive around picking up material and cutting and prepping the stuff and the fitting it together then welding it out and then giving it a paint job!!! I might as well let a pipestand company make them! Not to mention the pi$$n around trying to build a jig!
                            There's nothing wrong with building your own stuff but like it was said what's your time worth?

Comment

I have used GBR stands for the past 20 years or so. IMO these stands are the best on the market and i have tried most all of them over the years. They are sturdy, SAFE and they carry a mulitude of accessoies for them not to mention ENGINEERED. Do yourself a favour and buy GBR you wont regret it.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.