Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

CWI & CWE exam

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CWI & CWE exam

Has anyone taken the CWI CWE exam and how difficut is it? What should I study? I talked to a guy at hobart he said many peolpe fail the exam.

Originally posted by scranm View Post
    Has anyone taken the CWI CWE exam and how difficut is it? What should I study? I talked to a guy at hobart he said many peolpe fail the exam.
    Yes the exam is a six part timed exam.
    Part practical on welding inspection samples and identification, and multiple choice questions.

You need to take the course and pay the $1300.00 and it is one intense week
    of study. I know - I took the exam after I had been welding for many years.
    But most of the exam is about heavy structural welding . almost no questions about TIG welding. Very little of my day to day work was structural welding on a building. I was working in the marine industry.
    I also had taken 2 years of welding classes at a junior college and got some certifications before I took this exam.

For the exam fee that you pay you get great materials and books from the American Welding Society. Also one week going over exam material. Well worth the effort and expense.

Do not take the course if you are a outright beginner.
    It is too much to learn at once . Wait until you have been working in the field for a few years.
    Many engineers take the exam and fail because they have no practical experience.
    BUT if they (engineers) take it, and are good memorizers they will be first to probably get a job. I mean who would you hire ? an engineer with a CWI, or a welder with a CWI? See what I mean? That is the part that seems unfair to me.
    Just saying.

But if you take the test and pass it, it will enhance your career.

BTW ...Many of the engineers that take the test have their fee paid for by the company they work for. But some ONLY get the fee paid for if they PASS the exam. Tough situation.

All the welders I know had to pay out of their pocket, and pay for a motel or hotel near the test site.
    If you can find a friend that lives near a testing site that will save you money.
    Last edited by Donald Branscom; 02-18-2011, 10:10 AM.

Comment

I passed but it

takes some work. pretty hard to pass without experience in welding, knowing how
      to work through a code and use it to get the right answers. Knowledge in NDE
      is needed also. Go to the AWS site and you will find the information you need.

The test is taken to a code of your choice, AWS, ASME, API, B31.1 . After 20+
      years in powerplants(4 in nukes) i used AWSD1.1 because the is only one book
      instead of 3 books if you go with ASME.

old but new

Comment

Things do change a little, but if I remember correctly to get the CWI you have to have 3 years experience and a eye exam is also required to be submitted in addition to the test.

If you have been welding for at least 3 years in the field and you take the one week course, and the test, you should be able to pass the test.
        Just follow the advice of the instructors about methods to maximize your test results.

What i liked about the testing process was that you meet other welders during the breaks of that one week study session and can have a chance to share information. The other thing is getting the code book and learning HOW to look things up for yourself. Learning WHERE to find the information that you need. Very valuable.
        Last edited by Donald Branscom; 02-18-2011, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Donald Branscom View Post
          Things do change a little, but if I remember correctly to get the CWI you have to have 3 years experience and a eye exam is also required to be submitted in addition to the test.

If you have been welding for at least 3 years in the field and you take the one week course, and the test, you should be able to pass the test.
          Just follow the advice of the instructors about methods to maximize your test results.

What i liked about the testing process was that you meet other welders during the breaks of that one week study session and can have a chance to share information. The other thing is getting the code book and learning HOW to look things up for yourself. Learning WHERE to find the information that you need. Very valuable.
          Could you explain a little about the code book. What type of code they are, in the CWI.
          I'm just curious about what these certifications would get you in what type of field.

Comment

Api 1104

If youpick this code, you will have about 65 pages to work with. D1.1 is about 400. Give yourself 3 months to study and should have the whole book memorized. No matter the code, the ticket is the same. One more thing, on site the QC has the best job. Zero authority over the manpower, but total immunity from the construction superintendents.

Comment

Originally posted by Azphiks View Post
              If youpick this code, you will have about 65 pages to work with. D1.1 is about 400. Give yourself 3 months to study and should have the whole book memorized. No matter the code, the ticket is the same. One more thing, on site the QC has the best job. Zero authority over the manpower, but total immunity from the construction superintendents.
              Although I am not 100% sure but this is no longer true. AWS list which code you are certified to. I took it to API 1104 in 1996 and it is much easier to find the answers in than D1.1. So if they dont list which code you test to then do it to API. But if they do you better pick the code you will be working to, or you will be taking the test again.

Bottom line go to AWS.com and download and read "QC1". It will give you all the rules of getting certified.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel View Post
                Could you explain a little about the code book. What type of code they are, in the CWI.
                I'm just curious about what these certifications would get you in what type of field.
                One of the books that you get is the AWS D1.1 Structural welding code book.
                You get other books as well.

During the training you are shown how to look things up and you set the book up for easy use with those plastic tabs that stick out from the pages.
                You can use the book for some parts of the exam. That is why you need the training course is to set up the book for easy reference to find things.
                You will use that book the rest of your welding career.

The CWI certification is like the ASE license in the automotive repair field.
                It tell the employer that you have a certain basic knowledge of the field and are competent to do the work and take every thing into consideration,like safety,
                choice of materials and even if the welding should be performed and how it should be performed.
                It is like any profession, if you have a piece of paper like a college degree it guarantees you nothing, BUT .... it lets the world know that you have advanced knowledge about your profession that others may not have.

Experience is also valuable too of course, and actual welding certifications.

The U.S. government or state COULD start to require one of these certifications for certain job requirements.

Just like when you take your car to be repaired, if the mechanic has a ASE license, then you know he knows his job. That person has passed an exam and is dedicated to their profession.

Comment

Originally posted by Pepe View Post
                  Although I am not 100% sure but this is no longer true. AWS list which code you are certified to. I took it to API 1104 in 1996 and it is much easier to find the answers in than D1.1. So if they dont list which code you test to then do it to API. But if they do you better pick the code you will be working to, or you will be taking the test again.

Bottom line go to AWS.com and download and read "QC1". It will give you all the rules of getting certified.
                  Yes I agree, If you plan on being a pipe welder select the API 1104 version of the test.

I selected the AWS D1.1 because I was working in a shop doing a variety of weldments.
                  I did not memorize 400 pages but I made sure I could look things up.
                  Last edited by Donald Branscom; 02-19-2011, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Would you guys take the prep class through Aws or Hobart? The prep course is 40 hrs @ Aws. The class @ Hobart is 80 clock hrs for the same price.

Comment

CWI Test

first time taken CWI structural test somebody can recommend what books i can read to prepare the test I apreciate any help please

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.