No announcement yet.

Scrap Value of old Miller?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did Donald Branscom really have to make 5 freaking posts in this thread (in the course of 20 mins I may add) about how he feels.

Has this guy gone completely loony tunes.
    Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
    Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
    Hobart HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
    Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
    PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
    Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
    Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
    More grinders than hands

Comment

Here again, we see some "great" info posted by Mr. Branscom.

I have scrapped several of them, in rough shape but otherwise OK. When the market took a dive, these were literally being given away. I couldn't hardly get $700 for one completely gone thru, painted & warrantied. This included lead, torch & pedal. I had about a dozen of them in various condition. I refurbed & sold the best of them, the really bad ones, I scrapped.

The average yield for one of these machines is about 100-125# copper, an additional few hundred in steel. If you can get 2'-under spec on the laminated cores, that's a plus. I did.

I was stripping the 1/0 switch & shunt cables with a Stanley razor knife. The copper transformers/reactors, etc, I removed using a carbon arc, hammer & some good 'ol fashion hard work pounding the coils off the cores.

Burning the copper coils is probably one of the better ways to process it without special equipment. It isn't too time consuming & does a good job. I use a propane asphalt torch & cook 'em till they get cherry red for several minutes. Toss them down on the concrete & pressure wash them. This gets most the laminate off & gets you #2 at most yards. You have to run it in a tumbler machine to get it bright for #1 price around here.

When copper was high a couple years back, I was getting just about $3 & a little change per pound for #2 & average total yield (including the steel) was around $435 per machine. That was with me keeping the entire front face panel, top, side sheet metal, all the HF stuff & the fan assy, rectifier & related parts.

The DC 3 phase variants of this machine also yield good amounts of copper & are sometimes dirt cheap. The 360 A/BP's have a truckload in them. If you have enough of them & the market is as bad as it has been, scrapping them isn't too bad a way to go.

IMHO of course.
      Last edited by 7A749; 02-15-2011, 04:59 PM.
      So you're telling me...You're not nostalgic? Then, give me another word for it......

Comment

Originally posted by 7A749 View Post
        Here again, we see some "great" info posted by Mr. Branscom.

I have scrapped several of them, in rough shape but otherwise OK. When the market took a dive, these were literally being given away. I couldn't hardly get $700 for one completely gone thru, painted & warrantied. This included lead, torch & pedal. I had about a dozen of them in various condition. I refurbed & sold the best of them, the really bad ones, I scrapped.

The average yield for one of these machines is about 100-125# copper, an additional few hundred in steel. If you can get 2'-under spec on the laminated cores, that's a plus. I did.

I was stripping the 1/0 switch & shunt cables with a Stanley razor knife. The copper transformers/reactors, etc, I removed using a carbon arc, hammer & some good 'ol fashion hard work pounding the coils off the cores.

Burning the copper coils is probably one of the better ways to process it without special equipment. It isn't too time consuming & does a good job. I use a propane asphalt torch & cook 'em till they get cherry red for several minutes. Toss them down on the concrete & pressure wash them. This gets most the laminate off & gets you #2 at most yards. You have to run it in a tumbler machine to get it bright for #1 price around here.

When copper was high a couple years back, I was getting just about $3 & a little change per pound for #2 & average total yield (including the steel) was around $435 per machine. That was with me keeping the entire front face panel, top, side sheet metal, all the HF stuff & the fan assy, rectifier & related parts.

The DC 3 phase variants of this machine also yield good amounts of copper & are sometimes dirt cheap. The 360 A/BP's have a truckload in them. If you have enough of them & the market is as bad as it has been, scrapping them isn't too bad a way to go.

IMHO of course.
        Anyone thinking of scrapping one of these machines should read this post.

Comment

My problem is that I simply dont have room in my garage for this thing anymore. I now have a Dynasty and would love to sell this thing. There seams to be a problem with the AC side of things but other than that it's working fine. It's in the Bay Area Ca if someone wants to buy it. I bought it for a good price and it was a great starter machine for me. Now I have stepped up to the Dynasty and I would love to see someone get the same thing out of it that I did. That is a low priced solid welder.

As far as scrapping it, I was just weighing out my options. If I found out it was worth 3x as much in scrap my loalities to the welding comunity might wavier.

Comment

Originally posted by marcs View Post
            My problem is that I simply dont have room in my garage for this thing anymore. I now have a Dynasty and would love to sell this thing. There seams to be a problem with the AC side of things but other than that it's working fine. It's in the Bay Area Ca if someone wants to buy it. I bought it for a good price and it was a great starter machine for me. Now I have stepped up to the Dynasty and I would love to see someone get the same thing out of it that I did. That is a low priced solid welder.

As far as scrapping it, I was just weighing out my options. If I found out it was worth 3x as much in scrap my loalities to the welding comunity might wavier.
            I understand. I really do. Just hate to see equipment get thrown in the scrap pile.
            I hope you find a new owner for that machine.
            Good luck MARC.

By bringing this to the forum and creating a dialog maybe it will help you find a new owner.

Comment

Originally posted by Donald Branscom View Post
              Welding machine =copper = more bullets to kill your kids. STUPID.
              So...why not just, like, outlaw copper?

No more bullets, no more killings, QED, PROBLEM SOLVED!

Comment

I thought bullets were made from lead? Maybe you could consider the thin copper jacket. Oh well I'll just take my chances and plan on shooting back!

Comment

All the foreign countries will have our brass shell casings and many people will be hurt or killed. Is it really worth the copper,brass or bronze stealing to do that?
                  That is pure, flawless, unadulterated, unfounded, paranoid babble of the most mendacious order.

Brass shell casings aren't normally scrapped by thieves unless they raid a range or a GovLiquidation sales site. They are simply auctioned as scrap, and since they are scrap anyone can bid. There are plenty of ways for foreign countries to purchase brand new ammo.
                  Most of them can buy it from the US if they wish.

As for making that ammo, foreign countries are quite capable of drawing brass and do so (NORINCO ring a bell?) to the tune of millions and millions of casings.

Foreign countries may buy scrap copper and brass, but they also consume massive amounts of copper ore to make a full range of copper products. They literally can afford to buy mountains of ore:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7460364.stm

As for foreigners plinking each other, Rwanda demonstrates conclusively that they can get the same rate of termination out of machetes.

Lawful scrapping of copper and brass is a perfectly reasonable practice and a very efficient method of recycling. Anti-gun rants have nothing to do with it and should not seek to include copper.

Many foreign rounds use STEEL jacketed bullets. Steel is cheaper, and bore wear is low priority. LEAD wadcutter-style revolver bullets work a tread, as do buckshot and slugs.

Slaying perfectly good welding machines is unfortunate, but not connected to the global arms trade.

Comment

maybe we can beat them at their own game. set that old machine on the side of the road over in bagdad, rig it with some t-n-t. then blow it up when the bullet making scrappers try to take it. a rather patriotic way to say goodbye to a good old welder.

Comment

"Slaying perfectly good welding machines is unfortunate, but not connected to the global arms trade."

I'm still laughing at this line so true so true. man they are sure some idiots in this world. speaking of the previous guy spewing anti gun fodder!!

Comment

Originally posted by marcs View Post

I just sent you a PM. How much do you want for it?

Consider that I already know that you were going to scrap it!

-Ian
                        :~ATTITUDE MAKES THE DIFFERENCE!!!:

Comment

Working...
                        X