Sheet Metal Adhesive?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sheet Metal Adhesive?

I got a call from a local business as they are wanting to renovate their kitchen/coffee room. They want a polished stainless steel backsplash, which I can provide them, no problemo there, but I am having trouble finding an adhesive to attach it to the wall. Thinking of using about 20ga material. Awhile back I tried something from the lumber yard that was intended for metal studs, but it didn't really work well for sheet metal. Screws are outta the question for aesthetic reasons. Any ideas out there?

3M makes a contact adhesive that works really good metal to wood. 1300L is the number.
    I buy the stuff from McMaster-Carr. I use it for metal to rubber for aerospace applications. not that expensive though.

It got the blessings of the engineers because it won't let go.

Good luck
    Live Right Have Fun

XMT350 CV/CC
    22A Feeder
    MM175
    Dynasty 200DX
    TB302
    12vs Extreme
    Hypertherm PowerMax 1000
    20" x 40" CNC Mills (2)
    16" x 60" engine lathe
    65 Ton edwards iron worker
    3/16' x 24" power slip roll
    16' power feed mitering bandsaw
    and other fun toys

Comment

Pure silcone works well also...Bob
      Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
      http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

hmm

i would also suggest the contact cement 2 things make sure the wall is as smooth as you can get it and has atleast a primed surface lilke oil based kills or zinser dont go over unprimed drywall mud and second go to the hardware store and get a laminete roller http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CGwQ8wIwAQ or even better http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...2k3C5SBQpS184w have everything ready when ya put it in place cause once those the 2 glued sections meet theres no going back then roll it and your good

Comment

when i worked at the sign shop, we would sometimes get the specs for sheeting to not be welded to the framing or couldnt because of the lamination scotchlite... 3m makes a 2 part glue (i'll find the part number in a min) once the glue was applied and allowed cure time, i tried to pull 2 peices of 6061 square tube apart with a big truck n forklift (yeah, i live in arkansas, "hold my beer n watch this ya'll") it held to the point that it actually ripped the side outta the tubing.... it was 3x3 1/4 wall tubing... now to find the stuff...

http://www.shop3m.com/62264512328.ht...thane-Adhesive

i had no idea that it was that expensive, but it really works
          Last edited by welder_one; 01-07-2011, 04:56 PM.
          welder_one

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
          www.sicfabrications.com

Comment

hmm

whew doggie that stuff is pricey dont get it on your hands or anything else ya dont want permanently stuck

Comment

Originally posted by welder_one View Post
              (yeah, i live in arkansas, "hold my beer n watch this ya'll") it held to the point that it actually ripped the side outta the tubing...
              Now that's funny ...Bob
              Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
              http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

When you install it have the bottom supported from dropping straight down. This way the glue only holds it from tipping forward & does not have to support the weight of it. The adhesive might hold it to the paper on the drywall fine but I've seen the paper tear away from the drywall with heavy objects like mirrors, etc.
                Last edited by MMW; 01-07-2011, 07:53 PM.
                MM250
                Trailblazer 250g
                22a feeder
                Lincoln ac/dc 225
                Victor O/A
                MM200 black face
                Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
                Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
                Arco roto-phase model M
                Vectrax 7x12 band saw
                Miller spectrum 875
                30a spoolgun w/wc-24
                Syncrowave 250
                RCCS-14

Comment

Make sure the back is not polished and just use a construction adhesive from the local home shop. That stuff is so strong you will pull chunks of sheet rock out before the glue breaks. Plus it is cheap, and I know that they have one for metal but I don't have any right now to be able to tell you what it is.

-Dan
                  Owner
                  DW Metalworks LLC
                  Miller Trailblazer 302
                  Miller 8RC Feeder
                  Miller Passport Plus
                  Miller Dynasty 200 DX W/Coolmate 1
                  Hobart Handler 135
                  Hypertherm PowerMAX 30
                  Smith O/A Torch Set
                  Plus more tools then my wife will ever know about....

Comment

Originally posted by engnerdan View Post
                    Make sure the back is not polished and just use a construction adhesive from the local home shop. That stuff is so strong you will pull chunks of sheet rock out before the glue breaks. Plus it is cheap, and I know that they have one for metal but I don't have any right now to be able to tell you what it is.

-Dan
                    The back won't be polished, just standard #2 dull finish, although very smooth. The last stuff I used was for metal studs but wouldn't adhere well to the smooth surface of the sheet metal.

Some other good suggestions there, though. Thanks

Comment

That 3M scotch weld price was for a case (yeah, still not cheap) and it would require a special gun to squirt it out. Need to factor that into the costs.

Another alternative is the auto body supply places. They glue mirrors on all the time.

I have a little bit of 2-part urathane for gluing thngs on car bumpers etc. I can say that the fumes are unique. Ask about what kind of mask to use before you buy.
                      Con Fuse!
                      Miller Dynasty 350
                      Millermatic 350P
                      -Spoolmatic 30A

Hypertherm PowerMax 1000G3
                      Miller Multimatic 200 - awesome portable MIG (and stick and TIG)
                      Miller Maxstar 200DX - portable TIG and stick

Comment

Originally posted by atc250r View Post
                        The back won't be polished, just standard #2 dull finish, although very smooth. The last stuff I used was for metal studs but wouldn't adhere well to the smooth surface of the sheet metal.

Some other good suggestions there, though. Thanks
                        Just scuff the back with some fine sandpaper before trying any adhesive !

........... Norm
                        sigpic
                        Sunrise Outside My Shop In Delhi, Ontario

- Arcair- K 4000 CAC.

- LN-25 Wire Feeder

- Lincoln Ranger 8- Engine Drive- CC\CV:

- Lincoln Power Mig 180C
                        - Spoolgun.
                        - DeWalt Chop Saw .
                        - DeWalt Compressor - 13cfm, @ 100 psi.

www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Comment

Every major manufacturer of industrial consumables to my knowledge has a website, and phone numbers. Look for the applicable phone number (engineering, applications?), call them. They pay people to answer your phone calls, they will give you specific product recommendations, application methods, pre-treat necessary, etc. etc. You need to be specific and complete as to what you plan to do, mention any environmental factors (food grade, high heat, humidity, etc. ) that exist.

They should also tell you what dealers exist in your area.

I would consult with several manufacturers, pick the one you feel most comfortable with. A little research here, can save you mucho warranty work later.
                          Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Comment

I've done SS wall renovations in restraunts and liquid nail has always worked fine. Applied to sheetrock or tile. Silicone takes to long to set but works well on the joint trim cause the pieces are lighter and it's clear in case you put too much on and it oozes out. Good luck!

Comment

Break the back splash piece 180, Screw an offset supporting piece to the wall and push the back splash down over it, caulk to seal..
                              Steve

Bobcat 250EFI

Syncrowave 250

Millermatic 350P

Hypertherm 1250

A Bunch of tools

And a forklift to move the heavy stuff with..

Torchmate 2x2 CNC Plasma

It's Miller Time - Get Back To Work!

Comment

Working...
                              X